Valentine Showing Off Improved Physical and Mental Conditioning

A year ago at this time, Vincent Valentine walked into fall camp having just been issued what amounted to a public challenge from his coach.

During last year’s Big Ten Media Days, Bo Pelini talked about the “self-imposed hurdles” the Husker defensive tackle faced, and how Valentine needed to “learn how to work and how to push through.”
Valentine nods his head when reminded of that anniversary. You’ll get no dispute from him about such analysis from a year ago. But he also feels he’s traveled some distance from that point: Still plenty to prove, yes, but the sophomore feels different. A good kind of different.
“I think I have a different mind state,” Valentine said. “Going into that year, I’d never played. I kind of took things for granted a little bit. I really wasn’t out there … knowing what it takes to be on the field with the guys.
“I didn’t know what I really wanted. But now that I’ve been on the field, I know what it takes to get to where I want to be, because the ultimate goal is always to go to the league. So I’ve been pushing myself harder. I’ve gained mental strength, and I think that’s the most important thing to me.”

LJS

• Fire 1

I've said it already, I think VV goes pro with RG after the season. Making it that important that we see the defense do special things this year.

Pro after sophomore year..?

I think he redshirted his first year here so he would be able to.

I've said it already, I think VV goes pro with RG after the season. Making it that important that we see the defense do special things this year.

He'd need to have an amazing year because he nowhere close to being ready.
I think he will. Everything's set up for him to have a great season.

I'll put down $50 on a friendly wager on this (I'm thinking...no, no, no)

He'd need to have an amazing year because he nowhere close to being ready.
I think he will. Everything's set up for him to have a great season.
Remember that both Suh and Crick had pretty good to really good Jr. years and still waited to improve draft stock. I don't think VV is going to be an upper round guy this year even if he has a good year. I think he plays at least another year. Frankly, he still has to show that he can harness his potential consistently, let alone fine tune his skills.