Presidential Vacation Days

• 3 years later...

Would this be a good time to revisit this thread?

Trump is playing golf for the third straight day. I believe this is his 51st week as President. According to TrumpGolfCount.com, it is his 91st visit to a golf club and 77th time he's likely played golf (speculative since he blocks press access to confirm). Cumulatively, they have documented 869 hours. By my calculations, hat is more than 10% of the total hours since inauguration. By their count, it has cost taxpayers over $47M (and we know some of that money is being funneled back to Trump properties).

In itself, this is quite a lot of time golfing. For comparison and full disclosure, I play competitive amateur golf. Other than retirees, I play more than anyone I personally know. During the season, I'm practicing/playing almost every day the weather allows. During the winter, I'm lucky enough to travel to Florida or Arizona and try to take my sticks when I can. I played in quite a few sanctioned events and then the casual rounds with buddies. I posted 65 rounds in the last 12 months; that is the most I've ever played in one year, and it took hard work to juggle with my family and job. And I'm not President of the United States.

Out of these 77 times golfing, most have been with Athletes, Business Executives, and Politicians, in order. He has only played with 2 World Leaders (Shinzo & Abe). Usually when I'm playing, I have my iPhone handy and will be checking on work emails. Not this President. When playing with Professional Golfers Fred & Taylor Funk, they confirmed he didn't take any calls. "No, it was all golf. He was fully in the moment ... and wanted to play good golf." 

Recently, we've seen that President Trump starts his morning religiously watching and live-tweeting Fox News, Fox & Friends, etc. "Executive Time" as it has been coined. Reports show he starts his workday around 11:00 AM. 

Trump’s days in the Oval Office are relatively short – from around 11am to 6pm, then he’s back to the residence. During that time he usually has a meeting or two, but spends a good deal of time making phone calls and watching cable news in the dining room adjoining the Oval. Then he’s back to the residence for more phone calls and more TV.

Tuesday’s schedule, for example, runs from 11 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., a workday just over five hours long. Two-and-a-half hours are dedicated to “executive time.”

Now, how much is too much golf and "executive time?" 

• Plus1 5