Which True Freshmen Will Play?

Mavric

I think there are quite a few quality players in the 2014 class but we also have several spots where we have quite a bit of talent ahead of them so I think we're going to see a lot of redshirts this year.

Drew Brown is the guarantee to play. He's been somewhat inconsistent so far but we've also been breaking in a new snapper which can't have helped. But I'd think he'd at least alternate at first - similar to what we did last year - and go from there.

I really don't think we'll see many on offense. Seems very likely that Pierson-El will play. He should get a shot returning kicks and probably gets some work at receiver as well. But he might be the only one on that side of the ball. I think the three linemen (Farmer, Gates and Foster) will all be pushing hard for playing time next year - and Farmer could play now - but there is enough upperclassmen ahead of them that they'll likely redshirt. Irons probably has the next best shot to play as a returner but it sounds like he's headed for a redshirt as well. Other than that, I'd be surprised to see anyone else on offense.

We should see a few more on defense. The surprise seems to be Kieron Williams. The late addition has seemed to be impressive so far and, with Alexander out, is getting a lot of work as a #2 Safety. Similar situation for Joshua Kalu who is now the likely #2 Nickel but is reported to have looked good. Peyton Newell is another decent candidate due to our lack of depth at DE. But it sounds like Keels has come on this fall so if Natter or Gangwish can fill is as another backup, we might not need Newell. Jaevon Walton might have been in a good spot to play at LB after Rose went down but he still hasn't practiced so he's going to be behind.

Correct. From what I've gathered from the practice reports, special teams have been a point of emphasis with some of the veteran skill players (Abdullah, Bell, Turner, etc.) that would like to contribute somehow to make them better.

It's nice that those guys all want to help, but again, they're all returners. Them holding onto the ball has been a problem unto itself. But if we continue to get crappy blocking schemes that give them no daylight, it won't make a lick of difference what they do.

Is there enough depth at tight end for Freedom to redshirt?

Sounds like the guys watching practice are expecting him to redshirt. Carter and Cotton will get most of the work and it sounds like Hart has been coming along as well.

I saw something that said Hart got rolled up in the past couple of days? I haven't seen anything else so maybe it wasn't more than a ding, but sounded worse. Was he at practice again?

Yeah, I gather Davie and Rose are working with the first team whille Joseph and Jones are getting a lot of reps with the 2s. So Joseph and Jones would be the #4/#5 CB. If Jones has an edge on Joseph, he'll probably play. If he's #5 I would think he'd be looking at a redshirt.