Bo does the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Great to see. This has been making the football waves lately -- the Giants owner issued the challenge to Belicheck & Kraft (and also the Jets owner), and the entire Patriots team did it after a recent practice. Then they issued it to a few other teams, I think Denver being one of them, so at this rate, everyone in football will have done it soon.

I love that Bo called on Faux Pelini to do it. Let's see it, Faux!!! He also challenged Lincoln H.S. coaches.

Great to see. This has been making the football waves lately -- the Giants owner issued the challenge to Belicheck & Kraft (and also the Jets owner), and the entire Patriots team did it after a recent practice. Then they issued it to a few other teams, I think Denver being one of them, so at this rate, everyone in football will have done it soon.

I love that Bo called on Faux Pelini to do it. Let's see it, Faux!!! He also challenged Lincoln H.S. coaches.

sh#t, this is ballsy. Will Faux Pelini reveal himself..?

It should just be a video of an iphone with the twitter app open getting water dumped on it.

• Fire 2

It should just be a video of an iphone with the twitter app open getting water dumped on it.

No, dress up in a NU sweatshirt and khakis and have a cardboard cutout of Bo's face like the picture below and have someone dump it on his head. Thatd be hilarious!

wilbon4.jpg

• Fire 1

Sorry, I think this is very UNCOOL of anyone who does it as a reason to not give the money, too.

It seems like a useless gesture, especially from people with lots of money. It simply says very loudly, I am not willing to part with a hundred bucks for whatever charity this is supposed to benefit. Now, if the person did the ice AND donated, I think that's a great way to gain awareness of the cause and generate publicity.

But the original intent was "Will you either dump a bucket of ice on your head? OR choose to donate a hundred dollars?" Pick one and avoid the other.

Seems like wasted but flashy philanthropy that was uselessly designed by an effective but clueless thinker. It has the hallmarks of philanthropy but gets you a feel-good get out of jail free card.

What I mean, is it is great for publicity. But what good does it REALLY accomplish if we see a million people dump ice on their heads but no one gives the charity money?

• Fire 5

Sorry, I think this is very UNCOOL of anyone who does it as a reason to not give the money, too.

It seems like a useless gesture, especially from people with lots of money. It simply says very loudly, I am not willing to part with a hundred bucks for whatever charity this is supposed to benefit. Now, if the person did the ice AND donated, I think that's a great way to gain awareness of the cause and generate publicity.

But the original intent was "Will you either dump a bucket of ice on your head? OR choose to donate a hundred dollars?" Pick one and avoid the other.

Seems like wasted but flashy philanthropy that was uselessly designed by an effective but clueless thinker. It has the hallmarks of philanthropy but gets you a feel-good get out of jail free card.

What I mean, is it is great for publicity. But what good does it REALLY accomplish if we see a million people dump ice on their heads but no one gives the charity money?

Agreed. The idea was a task that most would never consider doing it so instead, they donate a few bucks. Now we have a challenge that is becoming the latest "in" thing to do but no money is being raised

Agreed. The idea was a task that most would never consider doing it so instead, they donate a few bucks. Now we have a challenge that is becoming the latest "in" thing to do but no money is being raised

Last I heard ALSA donations are 7 times higher what they were all of last year. So, somebody is giving money.

• Fire 1

It's like he's trying to out Batman!

Although the whole ice bucket challenge is a funny trend, it does raise awareness and get people talking about ALS. While people may be get out of donating money to ALS research by doing the ice bucket, as long as people are thinking and talking about the disease, it's an effective campaign.

Generally, these are people who do the challenge AND give money. That's usually how games like this work.

(skimming over the thread) woah, I think that's been missed by a lot of you...!

• Fire 2