Defense Has a Swagger, Confidence

Mavric

Daniel Davie has an apt response to the circular discussion regarding the relative complexity of Bo Pelini's defense.

Yes, it's complex in some ways.
No question, details are important. Extremely important.
But it's not too complex for a college defender to master, says Davie, the Nebraska junior cornerback.
"It's about whether you want to learn it," he says. "A lot of guys that have come through here might say it's too complex. But it's because they personally didn't put the time into it. If you put the time in, you're going to understand it."
From a layman's standpoint, the precision with which Nebraska operates on defense is eye-catching. If you're fortunate enough to watch a practice, you notice right away the staff's emphasis on details -- hand signals, code words, precision of certain steps as the ball is snapped, everything. You see it every down.
One other thing you'll notice while watching Nebraska practice this month: The defense generally operates with confidence, most likely born of a strong understanding of individual roles -- unlike the early stages of last season when a youthful unit often looked lost, alarmingly so at times, as was the case in a 41-21 loss to UCLA.

LJS

I like the sound of this. Players aal my expressing a "buy in" for lack of a better word. No coaches saying this is the best, most athletic, talented etc coach speak that we hear year in and year out.

I also like the fact that players are now taking accountability and acknowledging that Bo's system isn't complex. If you study........

This reminds me of different comments, after 2012 IIRC, about players not studying film and PJ's comments about guys "playing for themselves".

It sounds like Bo finally has the team thinking the correct way. I hope to see the improvement game 1 with limited confusion and then improvement as the season progresses.

Pass the kook-aid. I am N!

I like the sound of this. Players aal my expressing a "buy in" for lack of a better word. No coaches saying this is the best, most athletic, talented etc coach speak that we hear year in and year out.

I also like the fact that players are now taking accountability and acknowledging that Bo's system isn't complex. If you study........

This reminds me of different comments, after 2012 IIRC, about players not studying film and PJ's comments about guys "playing for themselves".

It sounds like Bo finally has the team thinking the correct way. I hope to see the improvement game 1 with limited confusion and then improvement as the season progresses.

Pass the kook-aid. I am N!

Agreed, I think this is one of those years where we can hopefully see the full plan implemented. I'm a little weary of depth at times, but barring any more significant injuries I think we'll be pleasantly surprised.

I hope so because we're gonna need it because no one is really giving us a chance to win the division. I'd love to go out and win it and shut the "experts" up. My biggest concern is on the offense and how our O-line does and if Tommy makes some strides, which you'd think he'd have to since he's got another year under his belt.

I hope so because we're gonna need it because no one is really giving us a chance to win the division. I'd love to go out and win it and shut the "experts" up. My biggest concern is on the offense and how our O-line does and if Tommy makes some strides, which you'd think he'd have to since he's got another year under his belt.

I am not worried about the o-line, but this team will go as far as Tommy can take them. He needs to be better.

show me swagger and confidence when this defense starts shutting people down.........we haven't played a down yet.

Swagger is a good thing. These kids are going to walk into every game feeling like they are the better team, that's exactly the attitude I want them to have.

A team with confidence won't fold at the first sign of adversity. A team with swagger doesn't get blown out. How can anyone look at this and see it is as a bad thing?

Do you want these kids to host Miami with a head full of doubt?

• Fire 2

1swag·ger
verb \ˈswa-gər\

: to walk in a very confident way : to walk with a swagger

swag·geredswag·ger·ing

Full Definition of SWAGGER
intransitive verb

: to conduct oneself in an arrogant or superciliously pompousmanner; especially : to walk with an air of overbearing self-confidence

transitive verb

: to force by argument or threat : bully

swag·ger·er noun

swag·ger·ing·ly adverb

IE See the Nebraska Cornhuskers 1993-1997.

show me swagger and confidence when this defense starts shutting people down.........we haven't played a down yet.

Yeah, great defenses never have swagger before the season. What are these kids thinking?!?!?!?! They'd better get their heads straight and start thinking they suck real soon, or it's gonna be a long season!

• Fire 1

The words that seem to be in question were never stated by the players or the staff. To me that says something about them. I am tired of this being the best team since I have been here routine. We just need to play the game, let their efforts show the level they are. Not a hit at either, just want to see it on the field, not hear about it from another person.

Less talk, more action. No one will know what we have until the ball is kicked. We looked good against UCLA in the early going last year. Lets finish a game against a quality opponent before we say they know what they are doing. Not saying they don't by any means. Just want to see the play on the field.