And What's the Deal With Injuries?

NUpolo8

So we got all nice and twisted up of late due to the rash of injuries that seem to effecting this team. Now, since we can all agree (I hope) that this isn't a direct result of Bo going around kneecapping folks, let's have some fun and talk about what in the world is happening. Since 2010, there has been critical, devastating season ending injuries to incredibly key players.

2010--Taylor

2011--Crick

2012--Burkhead, Stienkuhler

2013--Taylor, seemingly the entire OL.

So, what's going on?

-Nothing Silly. Injuries Happen and our Depth Hurts us More Than Most:

Kind of yes. Injuries of course happen at every program. And the benefit of hindsight proves us that Taylor was going to invite injury just the way he played. Rex after we rode him in 2011 was probably due, Hell OSU just appeared to lose Miller on a non contact play. I do think that there could be improved depth, but I also think we've been a little snakebit when you think about -who- gets hurt for us.

-New Field Turf and Aggressive Cleats are Conspiring to Kill

This is something teams like Michigan are starting to look at. They've made field turf tackier, and the cleats have gotten more aggressive and stickier as well. Toes get caught, ligaments get stretchy, and bad things happen. You get strong, quick guys making hard moves, sometimes things give out. I actually think there's something here. The organic NorCal hippie in me has always thought making grass out of tires was probably a great way to cause a goofy injury. I get why it exists and why it's not going away, but maybe these injuries aren't either.

It's Not S&C's Fault, But They Aren't Innocent.

A common beef is that Nebraska has fallen behind in a department they used to be visionaries in. Now, can they prevent these injuries? Not directly, no, at least in my opinion. But we've all seen our guys get pushed around when we don't think it should happen, and injuries do come from that. Are they getting what they deserve/need to perform at the expected level? Are they properly building their bodies so their ligaments aren't at risk? Someone smarter than me can delve into those questions. I just know I don't see the same physicality I used to out of many and I don't know why.

Anyhow, there are more theories out there. Post some of your own!

• Fire 1

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE88D1KT20120914?irpc=932

He and his colleagues used data from the NFL's injury surveillance system, which covered 2,680 games played on grass or FieldTurf between 2000 and 2009.

They found players suffered 1,528 knee sprains and 1,503 ankle sprains during those games, and both types of injuries were 22 percent more common in games played on FieldTurf.

In particular, ACL sprains - often considered season-ending injuries - were 67 percent more common on FieldTurf than on natural grass.

The researchers wrote in the American Journal of Sports Medicine this week that they can't prove anything about FieldTurf, in particular, was behind the higher injury rate

I'm not an expert on how injuries happen. However, just from you list it seems like there isn't necessarily a consistent type of injury.

I believe the first injury to Taylor against Missouri would have happened no matter the surface. The player rolled up on his ankle.

The injury to Crick's chest obviously had nothing to do with the turf. I believe this was just a freak injury on someone who is as strong as a friggen ox.

If I remember correctly, Rex's injury was because a player hit him sideways in the leg. Not sure how this could be caused by the turf or any type of training.

Don't remember how Stein was hurt.

Taylor's injuries last year and the O line.....I have no idea.

So, Even though injuries are extremely frustrating, I don't see a common theme as to why they have happened.

Championships are won partly because of luck. That luck is many times in the form of who did or didn't get injured on the team.

My theory.

It's the game of football. Things happen. Does there always have to be a finger pointed at something?

Then if it's so well known that things happen, why does Nebraska run so lean?

Maybe we just notice it more because we're fans? Georgia seemed to be running awfully lean last year by the time we played them. How many college teams do you pay close attention to?

• Fire 1

My theory.

It's the game of football. Things happen. Does there always have to be a finger pointed at something?

Maybe we just notice it more because we're fans? Georgia seemed to be running awfully lean last year by the time we played them. How many college teams do you pay close attention to?

This gets my vote.

My theory.

You've said it yourself on other threads. It happens to other programs too. Why it seems like Nebraska gets it worse is because its our team who we follow. Did anyone notice that we had 4 guys get back ON THE FIELD in practice after being out. AND we had a guy get a knee injury that has chronic bad knees.

I tore a meniscus back in January and I was just walking and my knee popped. I'm not obese or anything, overweight some, but not someone who's weight is a factor. THINGS HAPPEN and we don't always know why.

Again. Why is it, in society today that we always need a reason for everything? Why is someone or something culpable?

If these injuries are due to full contact in practice...so what?! You CANNOT go through fall camps with no full contact. The team would never be ready to play a game. Not that anyone cares but when I was in HS, we had a pretty good team (or so we thought) and we played the eventual state runner up in the last regular season game. Both of us 7-0. We got smoked 47-12. Apparently our coach asked theirs what he thought of the game and their coach told ours that "Your kids hit like pu$$y's"

We didn't tackle in practice. Always a hit and wrap up, but never to the ground. My point is, that if we can't afford to just hit and wrap up in the HS ranks in NEBRASKA, then we obviously/definitely can't afford to go soft in college.

Unfortunate things happen every day. Yes they suck. You can't change it. Our depth is good enough now that you'll see in 10-11 days that we have plenty of guys who can play and contribute well.