Husker's opening game win streak: 28-0 since 1986

NUance

Nebraska, Florida — and North Dakota State — have impressive streaks on the line

By David Fox, 8/27/14, 10:00 AM EDT www.http://athlonsports.com/

In all likelihood, the two longest active season-opening win streaks will continue Saturday when Nebraska goes for its 29th consecutive season-opening win against FAU and Florida goes for No. 25 against Idaho. Nebraska has won 28 season openers in a row since the Cornhuskers last Game 1 loss to Florida State in 1985.
<snip>
That said, Nebraska hasn’t gone 28-0 on cupcakes alone.
Nebraska’s streak in season openers includes two appearances in the old Kickoff Classic in East Rutherford, N.J., in 1988 (Texas A&M) and 1994 (West Virginia).
Since 1986, the Cornhuskers have opened against Florida State (avenging the 1985 loss), opened twice on the road against major opponents (Iowa in 1999, Oklahoma State in 1995) and four times faced a team ranked in the preseason top 25.

One of the only streaks that survived the Callahan era. Nice! :lol:

Nebraska, Florida and North Dakota State have impressive streaks on the line

In all likelihood, the two longest active season-opening win streaks will continue Saturday when Nebraska goes for its 29th consecutive season-opening win against FAU and Florida goes for No. 25 against Idaho. Nebraska has won 28 season openers in a row since the Cornhuskers last Game 1 loss to Florida State in 1985.

<snip>

That said, Nebraska hasnt gone 28-0 on cupcakes alone.

Nebraskas streak in season openers includes two appearances in the old Kickoff Classic in East Rutherford, N.J., in 1988 (Texas A&M) and 1994 (West Virginia).

Since 1986, the Cornhuskers have opened against Florida State (avenging the 1985 loss), opened twice on the road against major opponents (Iowa in 1999, Oklahoma State in 1995) and four times faced a team ranked in the preseason top 25.

LINK

Yea, wish we could get a marquee opponent for game 1 though.

I was at that Florida State game in 1985. I was a little kid and my parents let me and my brother use their seats because it was super hot and the game was on TV.

After the Rathman long TD, NU couldn't do much on offense. I think NU struggled with QB play most of that season. EDIT: McCathorn Clayton and Travis Turner split time at QB in 1985. Neither was all that great. Steve Taylor ended up winning the job in 1986.

Nice to see that we have played some good teams in the past and its mentioned in the article. Some good openers this week for sure.

Looking forward to NU adding another one, walking the dog in FAU and setting the tone for the season.

I am hoping I don't see issues and think again (same as the past 6 years) that we looked so bad because we were playing/showing vanilla crap............

Nebraska, Florida and North Dakota State have impressive streaks on the line

<snip>

That said, Nebraska hasnt gone 28-0 on cupcakes alone.

Nebraskas streak in season openers includes two appearances in the old Kickoff Classic in East Rutherford, N.J., in 1988 (Texas A&M) and 1994 (West Virginia).

LINK

Yea, wish we could get a marquee opponent for game 1 though.

I actually like cupcakes in week 1. Gives the team a chance to practice and tune up more for the tough opponent in week 3 or 4.

I actually like cupcakes in week 1. Gives the team a chance to practice and tune up more for the tough opponent in week 3 or 4.

I see your point. I think our OOC sched should include a couple of cupcakes, one top-25 team, and one storied program that is only so-so right now, like say, Ga Tech or Arizona.

Oklahoma State in 2003 and Wyoming in 2013.... those were the only two openers that were really all that interesting in the recent years of the streak. The Cowpokes from Okla were a bigger test since it was the debut game of Solich's reconfigured staff.

That being said, the value of cupcake games is hard to deny. I know there are people out there who want to see nail biters every time because blow outs aren't fun enough. As a fan, I want to see my team win, I want the starters to shine and develop confidence. I want to see some of the back ups get a chance to show what they've got.

And I want to relax, completely secure in the notion that the Huskers are going to win the game.

GBR

Oklahoma State in 2003 and Wyoming in 2013.... those were the only two openers that were really all that interesting in the recent years of the streak. The Cowpokes from Okla were a bigger test since it was the debut game of Solich's reconfigured staff.

That being said, the value of cupcake games is hard to deny. I know there are people out there who want to see nail biters every time because blow outs aren't fun enough. As a fan, I want to see my team win, I want the starters to shine and develop confidence. I want to see some of the back ups get a chance to show what they've got.

And I want to relax, completely secure in the notion that the Huskers are going to win the game.

GBR

I can see what you are saying. It's fun to watch them dominate and win big. But in the same sense, I like to see a good football game against similar talent.

Nebraska used to play several big schools in Non-con. Now its not always their fault. Other teams want to play the patsies too. But look at this for Non Con opponents:

1985: Florida State, Illinois, Oregon

1986: Florida State, Illinois, Oregon, South Carolina

1987: UCLA, Arizona State, South Carolina

1988: UCLA, Arizona State

1989: Oregon State, Minnesota

These schedules look more appealing than FAU and McNeese State.

I would like to see Nebraska play Iowa or Northwestern in week 1 to kick the year off. Manageable opponent but gives you a credible idea of what the team is really gonna look like, plus we would open the year with a conference division win. Even week 2 would be nice, saves an open date late in the year for a patsy like the SEC does before rivalry week.

• Fire 1

Nebraska used to play several big schools in Non-con. Now its not always their fault. Other teams want to play the patsies too. But look at this for Non Con opponents:

1985: Florida State, Illinois, Oregon

1986: Florida State, Illinois, Oregon, South Carolina

1987: UCLA, Arizona State, South Carolina

1988: UCLA, Arizona State

1989: Oregon State, Minnesota

These schedules look more appealing than FAU and McNeese State.

Awwww....my college years.