Defensive Rotation - or lack thereof

Mavric

The Blackshirts played pretty well yesterday. If they could have gotten off the field on either of a couple third downs on the first drive they might have gotten the shutout and - given another couple minutes - the offense might have gotten over 800 yards.

But I was a little surprised at how little substituting we did on that side of the ball. Pelini had commented earlier about the gap between the 1s and the 2s being bigger than he liked but I still thought we'd see a few more guys earlier. Especially when we built a good lead early. But I'm not sure when I saw the first sub in the game - other than going to the Nickel package and Gangwish in for Gregory. Every time I checked around the field, I only saw starters until some time later in the third quarter. Someone correct me if I missed them.

Also, I thought it was interesting that Zaire didn't play in the Nickel. Pretty much all I saw all Fall Camp was how Zaire was our best LB, that he wasn't coming off the field and that it was going to be Banderas and Anderson in the Nickel, even before Rose got hurt. But every time that I saw us in the nickel it was Banderas and Santos.

Forgive me, I'm not all too familiar with who is officially starting where yet but I think I heard the names Kalu, Kieron Williams, and Kevin Maurice a few times on some plays. Not sure how much time they got, but those were just a few I remember.

I'm rewatching little by little and I'll see if I notice anymore. Being the first game, I think there's value to getting our starters plenty of time out there. As good as we might be, we are still pretty young, and with someof the injuries we've suffered, there's some guys starting right now that dont have much experience.

I thought the defensive rotation was okay, but there wasn't nearly as much as the offense.

I saw 10 different guys playing on the defensive line. I saw 10, maybe 11 different guys playing in the secondary. I thought there wasn't enough rotation between the linebackers though. Only 6 different guys.

Hopefully with McNeese St. we will see the same amount of rotation, but with a bit more balance between the offense and defense.

I thought the defensive rotation was okay, but there wasn't nearly as much as the offense.

I saw 10 different guys playing on the defensive line. I saw 10, maybe 11 different guys playing in the secondary. I thought there wasn't enough rotation between the linebackers though. Only 6 different guys.

Hopefully with McNeese St. we will see the same amount of rotation, but with a bit more balance between the offense and defense.

I saw a lot of guy used up front even in the first half. Add in 3rd down pass rushers and that number seems right. I don't remember seeing a huge variety in the secondary, so I will take your word on that.

Forgive me, I'm not all too familiar with who is officially starting where yet but I think I heard the names Kalu, Kieron Williams, and Kevin Maurice a few times on some plays. Not sure how much time they got, but those were just a few I remember.

I don't think Kalu or Williams were in there until late in the game but I could have missed them. Williams was on kickoff coverage so his name might have come up there.

I forgot about Newby. He did play some situation snaps earlier.

I don't think Kalu or Williams were in there until late in the game but I could have missed them. Williams was on kickoff coverage so his name might have come up there.

I forgot about Newby. He did play some situation snaps earlier.

I see Natter and Kevin Williams got in during the fourth quarter. After rewatching the game, I agree with your initial point. There wasn't a lot of rotation throughout the crucial parts of the game.

With about 7 straight 3 and outs, the defense did not need to rotate

This. Pretty hard to do a lot of rotating when you only have 25 snaps in the middle two quarters to do it.
Good point also guys. Hard to rotate a lot when your defense is rarely on the field.
Agreed. And that's a good thing.

Also, this defense is still young and lacks experience, especially game experience together. Maybe they were trying to get some continuity with these guys.

The note on the three and outs is a pretty good stat. I didn't realize it was seven in a row at one point. Might have had something to do with it. Still would have thought Maurice and Williams might have played more plus Roach.

Not saying anything was wrong, just thought we'd rotate a little more once the lead started to grow.