*** 2017 Recruiting ***

Or maybe... They don't feel a dire need still? Maybe just maybe??? We like to think we know more about this team Than the coaches. Have a little faith in the staff. Also I think Hugh's only has a part in recruiting. Banker and Riley both have a say on who's offered as well.

There is going to great lengths to defend the coaches and then there's trying to suggest that they'd be fine with four scholarship DTs on the roster after this year and none in two straight classes.

• Fire 2

Riley under performs again, starting early?.........what a concept.

One of the top classes in the past 15 years. Your standards are questionable.....But what's new

2017 is a solid class, enough to win the B1G West.

However, I see three problems with this class. (1) They missed late on 4-5 big prospects that they could not close earlier. This prevented them from going to their plan B guys, besides Engelhaupt. (2) In-state recruiting was very poor this year. Missed on Bubak and Fant. Never offered Manchigiah. (3) DL recruitment was garbage. We did get two DE which is good, but we needed some top-end pass rushers and reload on DT. However, we were never really in with anyone period (let alone elite talent).

I definitely like the class. The secondary in particular will be a strength going forward, for sure. OL is another area of strength in this class, and they got their QB and RB.

Yep. That one.

I mean, it's February 4, 2016. There hasn't even been a single commit yet (which isn't true every year). The picture of who will be in this class and what targets or positional emphases there will be is thoroughly incomplete right now.

Panic however much you see fit, I guess?

I mean, it's February 4, 2016. There hasn't even been a single commit yet (which isn't true every year). The picture of who will be in this class and what targets or positional emphases there will be is thoroughly incomplete right now.

Panic however much you see fit, I guess?

No need to panic at all.

But the lack of a DT in the 2016 class and the seemingly modest interest in pushing early for one in 2017 is a tad concerning. One would assume they have a couple targets they want to push for though.

Or maybe... They don't feel a dire need still? Maybe just maybe??? We like to think we know more about this team Than the coaches. Have a little faith in the staff. Also I think Hugh's only has a part in recruiting. Banker and Riley both have a say on who's offered as well.

There is going to great lengths to defend the coaches and then there's trying to suggest that they'd be fine with four scholarship DTs on the roster after this year and none in two straight classes.

I count 6? Albeit 2 are Seniors. KW, Maurice, the twins, Stoltenberg, and Newell. Now I still don' get why they didn't push to get 1 DT this class, especially since it takes 1-2 years min for most DTs to develop into being ready to contribute. There will only be 3 on scholly after 2016 with no new young bucks coming in and getting developed under a RS year, will have to rely on 1-2 True Fr. To provide depth in 2017 which isn't ideal IMO. I view this position like QBs, need to take at least 1 good one each year to cover busts and keep a solid pipeline of depth.

I count 6? Albeit 2 are Seniors. KW, Maurice, the twins, Stoltenberg, and Newell. Now I still don' get why they didn't push to get 1 DT this class, especially since it takes 1-2 years min for most DTs to develop into being ready to contribute. There will only be 3 on scholly after 2016 with no new young bucks coming in and getting developed under a RS year, will have to rely on 1-2 True Fr. To provide depth in 2017 which isn't ideal IMO. I view this position like QBs, need to take at least 1 good one each year to cover busts and keep a solid pipeline of depth.

McMullen is moving inside as well. You really think they just spaced it off and made no effort to get a DT? How many did they offer who set up visits then canceled out because they committed or changed their mind?

Yes, six now. Four after this year.

I'm not criticizing. I think it was a mistake to not go after at least one last year and I think they've realized that. I'm not worried that they won't go after some this year. I'm sure we'll get at least two. But we'll have to see who they find.

My point was people are so quick to jump in and defend the coaches at all costs that they'll even do it when it's beyond obvious that their point is absurd.

• Fire 1

First run for 2017. I won't list too many targets for now because I like to keep that to guys who are seriously considering Nebraska and it's hard to know much yet. Once guys start showing up for Jr. Days and such we'll know more. Mainly trying to get a look at which positions are a priority and how many we're looking at for each.

We have 21 seniors plus can over-sign by 3 so we should be looking at at least 24.

Priority:
OT - There will only be five scholarship OTs left after this year and two will be seniors.

DT - Only four left after this year. Behind by not taking one last year. For sure need two.

WR - Losing three and only have six left - none over 6' tall. Need a couple big targets

QB - Need to keep adding depth
DE - Numbers aren't bad but really need some game-changers
TE - Only three after this year but at least they're young.

-----------------------------------------

QB - 1 - Tristan Gebbia, Jack Coan
RB - 1 -
WR - 3-4 - Keyshawn Johnson Jr., Jaevon McQuitty
TE - 2-3 -
OT - 2-3 - Mark Kallenberger
OG/C - 1-2 -

DT - 2-3 -
DE - 1-2 - Jonathan Van Diest
LB - 2-3 - Avery Roberts
CB - 1-2 - Darnay Holmes, Jamarri Jackson, Djimon Colbert
S - 1-2 -

Edited by Mavric
Added Coan
  • Fire 3

I'm not too worried about the Davis twins but if Stoltenberg and Newell aren't going to cut it we're in a world of hurt depth-wise. So I would think they'd look for a JUCO DT.

Possibly WR but I'd think they'd be pretty picky. I don't think we're in a bad spot at WR. It's just that we have about four of the same guy.

The other position I would think would get a JUCO look would be OT but I'm not sure how readily available they are.

Losing out on Simmons and Fitz hurt more than some would care to admit. I think with Keyshawn and Mcquittt we will be fine at WR if both end up here, maybe find a big WR in the JUCO ranks.

I would prefer one diamond in the rough DR, one highly ranked DT and one JUCO DT. If push came to shove though, lose the diamond and get quality.

• Fire 1
  • Mavric changed the title to *** 2017 Recruiting ***