*** 2017 Recruiting ***

Big, Fat Recruiting Update: The right kind of coup

By Sam McKewon / World-Herald Staff Writer POSTED: THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 18, 2016

<snip>

So early in the cycle, here are some things to watch closely:
>> Many more early offers. ...
>> A growing gameplan in terms of satellite camps....
>> A heavy emphasis on five dates on the calendar. ...
>> The quarterback situation resolved by end of spring?...
>> The Calabasas crew. Nebraska already has one Calabasas player in 2016 signee Marquel Dismuke. NU is seemingly in the lead for Johnson, whose dad, Keyshawn Johnson, Sr., played for Riley, and has visited Nebraska several times and seems to love the place. Johnson is a good prospect, but his buddy, Holmes, is a five-star stud who can jump out of the gym.
Sam provides an overview of spring recruiting efforts. He discusses each of the bulleted items.
  • Fire 1

I won't list too many targets for now because I like to keep that to guys who are seriously considering Nebraska and it's hard to know much yet. Once guys start showing up for Jr. Days and such we'll know more. Mainly trying to get a look at which positions are a priority and how many we're looking at for each.

We have 21 seniors plus can over-sign by 3 so we should be looking at at least 24.

Priority:
OT - There will only be five scholarship OTs left after this year and two will be seniors.
DT - Only four left after this year. Behind by not taking one last year. For sure need two.
WR - Losing three and only have six left - none over 6' tall. Need a couple big targets
QB - Need to keep adding depth
DE - Numbers aren't bad but really need some game-changers
TE - Only three after this year but at least they're young.

-----------------------------------------

QB - 1 - Tristan Gebbia, Jack Coan
RB - 1 -
WR - 3-4 - Keyshawn Johnson Jr., Jaevon McQuitty
TE - 2-3 - Austin Allen
OT - 2-3 - Mark Kallenberger, Alan Ali
OG/C - 1-2 -

DT - 2-3 -
DE - 1-2 - Jonathan Van Diest
LB - 2-3 - Avery Roberts
CB - 1-2 - Darnay Holmes, Jamarri Jackson, Djimon Colbert
S - 1-2 -

ATH - 1-2 - Roshauud Paul

Edited by Mavric
Added Paul

Mav you listed 1-2 CB's but I love all 3 of those prospects- any chance we take all 3 and move one to Safety/Nickel?

Lets just start with getting at least one. Holmes #1. If we get one of the others its a boom. We'll take all 3 if they want to come and figure out who/where they play later.

We have 21 seniors plus can over-sign by 3 so we should be looking at at least 24.

And, with the normal attrition that happens every year, I would expect we should be able to take 27-28 next year.

Meaning top ~15 on quantity alone. Then you add the quality... THIS IS GOING TO BE A GOOD f&#39;ing YEAR

Mav you listed 1-2 CB's but I love all 3 of those prospects- any chance we take all 3 and move one to Safety/Nickel?

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I put 1-2 because we have three guys from the 2016 class that are starting out at CB plus not losing any. But we'll have three senior CBs in 2017 so taking three isn't out of the question if they're top shelf guys.

• Mavric changed the title to *** 2017 Recruiting ***