*** 2017 Recruiting ***

Maybe this has been covered elsewhere, but....

Alex Parrella is a 6'4" 215 LB/TE that is uncommited.

Could he walk-on without a scholarship? My understanding is he could be a walk-on as long as he doesn't see the field...Once he plays, he would have to be considered on scholarship. Correct or not?

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4454764/alex-parrella

That's for scholarships the university gives out not pertaining to football. Examples being dual sport players or guys on academic scholarships. Essentially you can't be on a baseball scholarship or academic scholarship play snaps in football and not count towards the 85. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's the rule.

Could he walk-on without a scholarship? My understanding is he could be a walk-on as long as he doesn't see the field...Once he plays, he would have to be considered on scholarship. Correct or not?

That's for scholarships the university gives out not pertaining to football. Examples being dual sport players or guys on academic scholarships. Essentially you can't be on a baseball scholarship or academic scholarship play snaps in football and not count towards the 85. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's the rule.

But doesn't it work the same since his dad is going to be a University Employee, meaning free or reduced tuition?

But doesn't it work the same since his dad is going to be a University Employee, meaning free or reduced tuition?

Wow, completely didn't register to me that it's John Parrella's kid when I first commented. Sorry about that. I believe what you stated is true though; he can walk-on and not count towards the 85 as long as he doesn't play. Again, I could be wrong.

Doug McDermott was a walk on his senior year at Creighton to free up a scholarship. He had to pay tuition, couldn't take the reduced tuition rate he would have had for a family member being an employee of the school. So Alex could walk on, and his family would just have to foot the tuition bill every year. At least that's how I understand the workings of this.

Doug McDermott was a walk on his senior year at Creighton to free up a scholarship. He had to pay tuition, couldn't take the reduced tuition rate he would have had for a family member being an employee of the school. So Alex could walk on, and his family would just have to foot the tuition bill every year. At least that's how I understand the workings of this.

Okay, that makes sense.

Yeah but doesn't that also limit the player's access to the other benefits included in a scholarship such as the meal program? If that is the case, I can see that being a bigger problem in FB over BB.

• Mavric changed the title to *** 2017 Recruiting ***