*** 2017 Recruiting ***

I think our DL recruits are severely underrated (including Daniels). They look like good players to me, especially with the switch to the 3-4. If we were still in the 4-3, I'd be very concerned about our lack of D-Ends. I think our recruiting of lineman on both sides of the ball has been good, last years DL class was underwhelming, but the OL class was as good as we've had in a long time imo. This year I think it's pretty solid on both sides, assuming we get Daniels.

• Fire 1

I think our DL recruits are severely underrated (including Daniels). They look like good players to me, especially with the switch to the 3-4. If we were still in the 4-3, I'd be very concerned about our lack of D-Ends. I think our recruiting of lineman on both sides of the ball has been good, last years DL class was underwhelming, but the OL class was as good as we've had in a long time imo. This year I think it's pretty solid on both sides, assuming we get Daniels.

Hard to find too many spots in this class that I don't like. As you stated, our o-line recruits aren't amazing but last year's crew was outstanding. Giving our three from this year a redshirt will do wonders I think.

Also I can't remember a time where I was as excited about our bottom 3 rated recruits (Bradley, Walker, Miles) as I am this year. Cannot wait to see those three develop. Just top to bottom great job filling what we needed this year and creating depth. Not to mention the potential to finish really strong to top it all off.

19 commits on our way to 22 (so they say). Sounds like we're looking for 1 WR, 1 DT, and 2 DBs which is four guys for three spots but we could go up to 25 guys.

QB - 1 - TRISTAN GEBBIA

RB - 1 - JAYLIN BRADLEY, CJ Verdell

FB - 1 - BEN MILES

WR - 5 - KEYSHAWN JOHNSON Jr., JAEVON McQUITTY, TYJON LINDSEY, JAMIRE CALVIN, Joseph Lewis, Bryan Thompson, Jeremiah Hawkins

TE - 2 - AUSTIN ALLEN, KURT RAFDAL

OT - 3 - BRENDEN JAIMES, MATT SICHTERMAN, CHRIS WALKER

OG/C - 1 - BROC BANDO

DT - 3 - DEONTRE THOMAS, DEIONTAE WATTS, Damion Daniels

DE - 1 - GUY THOMAS

LB - 3 - WILLIE HAMPTON, AVERY ROBERTS, ANDREW WARD

CB - 1-2 - Deommodore Lenoir, Greg Johnson, Elijah Blades, Michael Onyemaobi, Tony Wallace

S - 0-1 -

Not that it really matters but I think we can delete Tony Wallace since he never even visited.
  • Fire 1

19 commits on our way to 22 (so they say). Sounds like we're looking for 1 WR, 1 DT, and 2 DBs which is four guys for three spots but we could go up to 25 guys.

QB - 1 - TRISTAN GEBBIA

RB - 1 - JAYLIN BRADLEY, CJ Verdell

FB - 1 - BEN MILES

WR - 5 - KEYSHAWN JOHNSON Jr., JAEVON McQUITTY, TYJON LINDSEY, JAMIRE CALVIN, Joseph Lewis, Bryan Thompson, Jeremiah Hawkins

TE - 2 - AUSTIN ALLEN, KURT RAFDAL

OT - 3 - BRENDEN JAIMES, MATT SICHTERMAN, CHRIS WALKER

OG/C - 1 - BROC BANDO

DT - 3 - DEONTRE THOMAS, DEIONTAE WATTS, Damion Daniels

DE - 1 - GUY THOMAS

LB - 3 - WILLIE HAMPTON, AVERY ROBERTS, ANDREW WARD

CB - 1-2 - Deommodore Lenoir, Greg Johnson, Elijah Blades, Michael Onyemaobi, Tony Wallace

S - 0-1 -

Not that it really matters but I think we can delete Tony Wallace since he never even visited.

I just about did. But the story was he "missed" his flight and was still considering signing even without visiting.

Not sure if I believe all that but I left him on.

Here is an easy to use class rank calculator if anyone is interested. Can simply add whatever names you want to our current list of committed players and see where we would stand with a new commit added. Pretty cool thought I would share if anyone is interested...

http://nebraska.247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/Commits/Preview

Does that mean he would be automtically deducted from whatever team he decommitted from?

I would love some insight from those of you who follow recruiting more closely than me.

As a casual recruiting observer, I feel right now like I have felt for years. It seems our highest touted recruits are skill position players. I understand this to be somewhat normal given their nature - everybody likes to hear and see the flashy quarterback, receiver and running back. They make the headlines. The super talented offensive lineman just doesn't bring the same fervor.

But, is this standard or are we faltering in some of those key areas like the DL or the OL? Avery Roberts is one of the single most important players in the class in my opinion, but outside of him, there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest around guys like Bando, Watts or Sichterman. Is this because they're not at a level worthy of more recognition, or because they're not skill position players? Or, is it a combination of the two?

Again, I feel like this is a pretty standard view among the casual follower of recruiting because we just don't hear a lot about some of the less flashy positions. Am I just a victim of water cooler conversation and media coverage here?

Watts and Sichterman are severely underated, especially Watts. Bando seems like kind of another average recruit to me and his film wasn't extremely impressive and his ratings reflected that.
I wouldnt sleep on Bando. There is a reason he started for IMG Academy and had offers from SEC teams and interest from a number of other big boys. I do agree with you on the other 2.

Whatever happened to the offer/interest we had in JUCO Isaiah Johnson (http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/78707-juco-dt-isaiah-johnson/)? Conversation in that thread stopped in May and can't find any recent news elsewhere.

In one of the podcast I was listening to they ( Clouse or Schaefer) mentioned that he never recovered from his knee injury and Nebraska had to cool on him.
  • Mavric changed the title to *** 2017 Recruiting ***