Mavric

***2017 Recruiting***

Red Five    3,587

So who are the guys that we think we have a decent shot at for 2017? Or is it too early to tell? Seems like a lot offers have gone out over the past few weeks.

I know about the Calabasas crew and I think that Colbert/McQuitty seem high on us.

Thanks_Tom RR    2,223

Funny. I looked this up today as well. We have one offer out to a 2017 DT. Pathetic!

Edited by Mavric
Moved this and several replies from a profile thread.

Thanks_Tom RR    2,223

Riley under performs again, starting early?.........what a concept.

One of the top classes in the past 15 years. Your standards are questionable.....But what's new

2016 is a solid class, enough to win the B1G West.

However, I see three problems with this class. (1) They missed late on 4-5 big prospects that they could not close earlier. This prevented them from going to their plan B guys, besides Engelhaupt. (2) In-state recruiting was very poor this year. Missed on Bubak and Fant. Never offered Manchigiah. (3) DL recruitment was garbage. We did get two DE which is good, but we needed some top-end pass rushers and reload on DT. However, we were never really in with anyone period (let alone elite talent).

I definitely like the class. The secondary in particular will be a strength going forward, for sure. OL is another area of strength in this class, and they got their QB and RB.

Edited by Thanks_Tom RR
Corrected the year.

huskerhill    211

One of the top classes in the past 15 years. Your standards are questionable.....But what's new

2017 is a solid class, enough to win the B1G West.

However, I see three problems with this class. (1) They missed late on 4-5 big prospects that they could not close earlier. This prevented them from going to their plan B guys, besides Engelhaupt. (2) In-state recruiting was very poor this year. Missed on Bubak and Fant. Never offered Manchigiah. (3) DL recruitment was garbage. We did get two DE which is good, but we needed some top-end pass rushers and reload on DT. However, we were never really in with anyone period (let alone elite talent).

I definitely like the class. The secondary in particular will be a strength going forward, for sure. OL is another area of strength in this class, and they got their QB and RB.

Decked    696

You have to create interest for recruits. One offer after how poor our DL recruiting was last cycle doesn't cut it. As usual, Hank Hughes right on time.

Huskinator    276

Or maybe... They don't feel a dire need still? Maybe just maybe??? We like to think we know more about this team Than the coaches. Have a little faith in the staff. Also I think Hugh's only has a part in recruiting. Banker and Riley both have a say on who's offered as well.

Mavric    10,280

Or maybe... They don't feel a dire need still? Maybe just maybe??? We like to think we know more about this team Than the coaches. Have a little faith in the staff. Also I think Hugh's only has a part in recruiting. Banker and Riley both have a say on who's offered as well.

There is going to great lengths to defend the coaches and then there's trying to suggest that they'd be fine with four scholarship DTs on the roster after this year and none in two straight classes.

Thanks_Tom RR    2,223

2017 is a solid class, enough to win the B1G West.

Yep. That one.

zoogs    6,363

I mean, it's February 4, 2016. There hasn't even been a single commit yet (which isn't true every year). The picture of who will be in this class and what targets or positional emphases there will be is thoroughly incomplete right now.

Panic however much you see fit, I guess?

Redux    5,708

I mean, it's February 4, 2016. There hasn't even been a single commit yet (which isn't true every year). The picture of who will be in this class and what targets or positional emphases there will be is thoroughly incomplete right now.

Panic however much you see fit, I guess?

No need to panic at all.

But the lack of a DT in the 2016 class and the seemingly modest interest in pushing early for one in 2017 is a tad concerning. One would assume they have a couple targets they want to push for though.

caveman99    232

There is going to great lengths to defend the coaches and then there's trying to suggest that they'd be fine with four scholarship DTs on the roster after this year and none in two straight classes.

I count 6? Albeit 2 are Seniors. KW, Maurice, the twins, Stoltenberg, and Newell. Now I still don' get why they didn't push to get 1 DT this class, especially since it takes 1-2 years min for most DTs to develop into being ready to contribute. There will only be 3 on scholly after 2016 with no new young bucks coming in and getting developed under a RS year, will have to rely on 1-2 True Fr. To provide depth in 2017 which isn't ideal IMO. I view this position like QBs, need to take at least 1 good one each year to cover busts and keep a solid pipeline of depth.

TonyStalloni    603

I count 6? Albeit 2 are Seniors. KW, Maurice, the twins, Stoltenberg, and Newell. Now I still don' get why they didn't push to get 1 DT this class, especially since it takes 1-2 years min for most DTs to develop into being ready to contribute. There will only be 3 on scholly after 2016 with no new young bucks coming in and getting developed under a RS year, will have to rely on 1-2 True Fr. To provide depth in 2017 which isn't ideal IMO. I view this position like QBs, need to take at least 1 good one each year to cover busts and keep a solid pipeline of depth.

McMullen is moving inside as well. You really think they just spaced it off and made no effort to get a DT? How many did they offer who set up visits then canceled out because they committed or changed their mind?

Mavric    10,280

Yes, six now. Four after this year.

I'm not criticizing. I think it was a mistake to not go after at least one last year and I think they've realized that. I'm not worried that they won't go after some this year. I'm sure we'll get at least two. But we'll have to see who they find.

My point was people are so quick to jump in and defend the coaches at all costs that they'll even do it when it's beyond obvious that their point is absurd.

Mavric    10,280

First run for 2017. I won't list too many targets for now because I like to keep that to guys who are seriously considering Nebraska and it's hard to know much yet. Once guys start showing up for Jr. Days and such we'll know more. Mainly trying to get a look at which positions are a priority and how many we're looking at for each.

We have 21 seniors plus can over-sign by 3 so we should be looking at at least 24.

Priority:
OT - There will only be five scholarship OTs left after this year and two will be seniors.

DT - Only four left after this year. Behind by not taking one last year. For sure need two.

WR - Losing three and only have six left - none over 6' tall. Need a couple big targets

QB - Need to keep adding depth
DE - Numbers aren't bad but really need some game-changers
TE - Only three after this year but at least they're young.

-----------------------------------------

QB - 1 - Tristan Gebbia, Jack Coan
RB - 1 -
WR - 3-4 - Keyshawn Johnson Jr., Jaevon McQuitty
TE - 2-3 -
OT - 2-3 - Mark Kallenberger
OG/C - 1-2 -

DT - 2-3 -
DE - 1-2 - Jonathan Van Diest
LB - 2-3 - Avery Roberts
CB - 1-2 - Darnay Holmes, Jamarri Jackson, Djimon Colbert
S - 1-2 -

Edited by Mavric
Added Coan

Mavric    10,280

I'm not too worried about the Davis twins but if Stoltenberg and Newell aren't going to cut it we're in a world of hurt depth-wise. So I would think they'd look for a JUCO DT.

Possibly WR but I'd think they'd be pretty picky. I don't think we're in a bad spot at WR. It's just that we have about four of the same guy.

The other position I would think would get a JUCO look would be OT but I'm not sure how readily available they are.

Redux    5,708

Losing out on Simmons and Fitz hurt more than some would care to admit. I think with Keyshawn and Mcquittt we will be fine at WR if both end up here, maybe find a big WR in the JUCO ranks.

I would prefer one diamond in the rough DR, one highly ranked DT and one JUCO DT. If push came to shove though, lose the diamond and get quality.

caveman99    232

Still thinking they turn Stille into a DT.

That wouldn't surprise me. Same path as Stoltenberg.

If that happens, it makes DE a top priority.

caveman99    232

Yes, six now. Four after this year.

I'm not criticizing. I think it was a mistake to not go after at least one last year and I think they've realized that. I'm not worried that they won't go after some this year. I'm sure we'll get at least two. But we'll have to see who they find.

My point was people are so quick to jump in and defend the coaches at all costs that they'll even do it when it's beyond obvious that their point is absurd.

I am in complete agreement with you on this, I think it was a mistake/failure in the 2016 class at DT that the Coaches now realize and have to rectify for 2017. I like the 2016 class overall, but to defend the coaches at all costs without being able to objectively discuss their faults is absurd. It is clear that they need to improve their results in recruiting the DL, both DT and DE.

GSG    5,891

+100000000000 :wub:

caveman99    232

McMullen is moving inside as well. You really think they just spaced it off and made no effort to get a DT? How many did they offer who set up visits then canceled out because they committed or changed their mind?

Whether they tried or not, they failed to get a DT in the 2016 class. That is the measure that matters and the coaches now have to rectify that going forward. The debatable point would be whether or not this failure was due, at least in part, due to a lack of effort, whether on purpose or not, by the staff. There was a lot of chatter towards the end of the 2016 cycle that the staff had made a conscious decision to not push to bring in a DT for that class because they were happy with the numbers on the DL at that point. I won't pretend to know more than HH, Banker, or MR, but I am quite surprised that they felt this way if true. DTs aren't recruited to make a difference in year 1, typically they are expected to take 2 years of development before contributing so you are recruiting to keep a deep pipeline. There are only 4 scholly DT's in the program for 2017 at this point, I am surprised the coaches didn't feel a sense of urgency to bring at least 1 in this year to RS and be ready to help add depth for next year. If any of those 4 scholly DT's aren't able to provide quality snaps or get injured, the staff will then be in a position to rely on any true freshman DTs brought in with the 2017 class, before they are ready most likely, to be a big part of the rotation or fill from the Walkon ranks and hope that you find a diamond in the rough. Either way, it seems that they have created a razor thin margin for themselves at DT going forward that they could have helped in the 2016 cycle.

BigRedBuster    7,981

+100000000000 :wub:

I think there are two sides to that coin.

There are people who will defend the staff at all costs even though there are things they need to work on and get better at.

There are also people who absolutely will not acknowledge that there are some good things happening and take every chance they can to trash the staff.

In reality, those two groups are extremely small.

The team got better towards the end of the season. They recruited pretty well. There were some very favorable things said about our staff on the recruiting trail by HS coaches, parents and recruits.

The staff also made some mistakes last year in some games that probably cost us some wins. They also didn't recruit a DT in this class. We also missed out on a big WR.

A balanced approach is suggested. But, if I'm going to error one way or the other, I'll pick being positive and supportive. I see no reason nor have the desire to be negative all the time.

ScottyIce    1,920

Some exciting stuff going on.

1) 5 Star OT that visited Oregon State very frequently while Riley and company were there is in this class and Nebraska is trying to get him to visit this spring.

http://247sports.com/Player/Foster-Sarell-75933

2) 2 HIGH 4-Star USC commits have recently stated they are only soft commits and want to look around. Nebraska just offered the RB (other one is a CB) and he listed them as a team he may look into. He is the #2 RB in Nation and scored a .98.

http://247sports.com/Player/Stephen-Carr-80172

http://247sports.com/Player/Thomas-Graham-75944

(only reason I include Graham, is because these 2 would be interested in playing together)

seaofred92    1,511

1) 5 Star OT that visited Oregon State very frequently while Riley and company were there is in this class and Nebraska is trying to get him to visit this spring.

2) 2 HIGH 4-Star USC commits have recently stated they are only soft commits and want to look around. Nebraska just offered the RB (other one is a CB) and he listed them as a team he may look into. He is the #2 RB in Nation and scored a .98.

(only reason I include Graham, is because these 2 would be interested in playing together)

great work here Ice

Savage Husker    562

great work here Ice

Other than loving stud OL in any class, it's my connection to the NW and my Husky friends why I would love to steal this individual from Washington lol

GBRFAN    449

Sorry if this has been posted. It looks like we have 32 seniors on the 2016 roster. How many are on scholarship? What are we projecting for a class size in 2017? I though I had seen the #17 for 2017, however that seems low with this many seniors....

Savage Husker    562

Sorry if this has been posted. It looks like we have 32 seniors on the 2016 roster. How many are on scholarship? What are we projecting for a class size in 2017? I though I had seen the #17 for 2017, however that seems low with this many seniors....

http://dataomaha.com/documents/husker-scholarship-distribution

huskerhill    211

http://dataomaha.com/documents/husker-scholarship-distribution

This probably isn't the appropriate location for this question but it came up after reviewing the link, anyone heard anything in regards to a medical red shirt for Rose-Ivey since he missed all of the 2014 season?

Mavric    10,280

Apparenlty we've reached out to DT Noah Elliss of Valor Christian in Denver. 6-4, 315 3-star.

Perhaps we're waiting to hire a DL coach to actually offer. But he would seem to be a good one to get after, especially with our connections to the school.

Hudl

Rivals

seaofred92    1,511

Have to say I'm impressed with the amount of offers we've gotten out in the last 2-3 days. Not only the amount of offers but it seems like almost every kid is interested in setting up a visit- whether it be OV or UV. Really think if the staff keeps this effort up the Huskers can sign a top 15 or even top 10 class this year

Sker4Ever    157

Have to say I'm impressed with the amount of offers we've gotten out in the last 2-3 days. Not only the amount of offers but it seems like almost every kid is interested in setting up a visit- whether it be OV or UV. Really think if the staff keeps this effort up the Huskers can sign a top 15 or even top 10 class this year

We're also not shy with who were offering. We are going after big fish and I love it!

C N Red    1,364

OT is obviously a huge focus for the staff this cycle, ton of OT offers going out and virtually no interior offers.

We dont need any more guards.

Treand3    243

OT is obviously a huge focus for the staff this cycle, ton of OT offers going out and virtually no interior offers.

We dont need any more guards.

Yes, we're in a very good spot on the interior, so the need isn't dire. If an elite interior comes along you of course take him, otherwise the staff can be picky.