Mavric

***2017 Recruiting***

Warrior10    1,783

OT is obviously a huge focus for the staff this cycle, ton of OT offers going out and virtually no interior offers.

We dont need any more guards.
Yes, we're in a very good spot on the interior, so the need isn't dire. If an elite interior comes along you of course take him, otherwise the staff can be picky.
I'd of taken the kid from BellWest yesterday.

BigRedBuster    7,307

This class is either going to be a lottery or a complete disappointment

No....it doesn't have to be that way.

We will win some and lose some.

But, I think it's going to be much better than we have seen in a long time.

I believe we get KJJ. If we get Holmes and Gebbia, it's really going to be fun seeing who they can peer recruit.

QMany    2,891

Most Top 247 Recruits by State

Florida – 37

Texas – 31
California – 30
Georgia – 23
Ohio – 12
Alabama – 11
Virginia – 11
Louisiana – 10

I love what we're doing in California, but I'd like to see some inroads made into Florida and back into Texas.

zoogs    6,009

It's mid-February and Nebraska has now offered a lot of DL for the '17 class. Perhaps the early-February panic over that can subside now! :D

Warrior10    1,783

Just makes me sick to see Iowa in the Top 10 for 2017 already with a 5 star D Lineman

He's a legacy, and his father is still very connected to the program still.

We will be ranked ahead of them, again.

Treand3    233

Just makes me sick to see Iowa in the Top 10 for 2017 already with a 5 star D Lineman

He's a legacy, and his father is still very connected to the program still.

We will be ranked ahead of them, again.

Yep

NUance    6,940

Big, Fat Recruiting Update: The right kind of coup

By Sam McKewon / World-Herald Staff Writer POSTED: THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 18, 2016

<snip>

So early in the cycle, here are some things to watch closely:
>> Many more early offers. ...
>> A growing gameplan in terms of satellite camps....
>> A heavy emphasis on five dates on the calendar. ...
>> The quarterback situation resolved by end of spring?...
>> The Calabasas crew. Nebraska already has one Calabasas player in 2016 signee Marquel Dismuke. NU is seemingly in the lead for Johnson, whose dad, Keyshawn Johnson, Sr., played for Riley, and has visited Nebraska several times and seems to love the place. Johnson is a good prospect, but his buddy, Holmes, is a five-star stud who can jump out of the gym.
Sam provides an overview of spring recruiting efforts. He discusses each of the bulleted items.

Mavric    9,148

I won't list too many targets for now because I like to keep that to guys who are seriously considering Nebraska and it's hard to know much yet. Once guys start showing up for Jr. Days and such we'll know more. Mainly trying to get a look at which positions are a priority and how many we're looking at for each.

We have 21 seniors plus can over-sign by 3 so we should be looking at at least 24.

Priority:
OT - There will only be five scholarship OTs left after this year and two will be seniors.
DT - Only four left after this year. Behind by not taking one last year. For sure need two.
WR - Losing three and only have six left - none over 6' tall. Need a couple big targets
QB - Need to keep adding depth
DE - Numbers aren't bad but really need some game-changers
TE - Only three after this year but at least they're young.

-----------------------------------------

QB - 1 - Tristan Gebbia, Jack Coan
RB - 1 -
WR - 3-4 - Keyshawn Johnson Jr., Jaevon McQuitty
TE - 2-3 - Austin Allen
OT - 2-3 - Mark Kallenberger, Alan Ali
OG/C - 1-2 -

DT - 2-3 -
DE - 1-2 - Jonathan Van Diest
LB - 2-3 - Avery Roberts
CB - 1-2 - Darnay Holmes, Jamarri Jackson, Djimon Colbert
S - 1-2 -

ATH - 1-2 - Roshauud Paul

Edited by Mavric
Added Paul

C N Red    1,209

Mav you listed 1-2 CB's but I love all 3 of those prospects- any chance we take all 3 and move one to Safety/Nickel?

Lets just start with getting at least one. Holmes #1. If we get one of the others its a boom. We'll take all 3 if they want to come and figure out who/where they play later.

BigRedBuster    7,307

We have 21 seniors plus can over-sign by 3 so we should be looking at at least 24.

And, with the normal attrition that happens every year, I would expect we should be able to take 27-28 next year.

Atbone95    1,150

And, with the normal attrition that happens every year, I would expect we should be able to take 27-28 next year.

Meaning top ~15 on quantity alone. Then you add the quality... THIS IS GOING TO BE A GOOD f&#39;ing YEAR

Mavric    9,148

Mav you listed 1-2 CB's but I love all 3 of those prospects- any chance we take all 3 and move one to Safety/Nickel?

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I put 1-2 because we have three guys from the 2016 class that are starting out at CB plus not losing any. But we'll have three senior CBs in 2017 so taking three isn't out of the question if they're top shelf guys.

B.B. Hemingway    1,465

HAhahahahahahaha, this new staff is ON POINT with their twitter game.

"2 Phones" is a very popular new rap song going around.

I follow the members of support staffers from a handful of the elite programs in the country, and Nebraska's is by far the most active, and creative in what they do..... And it matters....

ScottyIce    1,642

Maybe this has been covered elsewhere, but....

Alex Parrella is a 6'4" 215 LB/TE that is uncommited.

Could he walk-on without a scholarship? My understanding is he could be a walk-on as long as he doesn't see the field...Once he plays, he would have to be considered on scholarship. Correct or not?

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4454764/alex-parrella

Red Five    3,008

Looks like he is 2016 recruit?

He can be a walk on. Doesn't matter if he plays a down or not. Doug McDermott walked on for a year. Wasn't Cody Hawkins a walk on at CU back in the day?

DrunkOffPunch    480

Could he walk-on without a scholarship? My understanding is he could be a walk-on as long as he doesn't see the field...Once he plays, he would have to be considered on scholarship. Correct or not?

That's for scholarships the university gives out not pertaining to football. Examples being dual sport players or guys on academic scholarships. Essentially you can't be on a baseball scholarship or academic scholarship play snaps in football and not count towards the 85. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's the rule.

ScottyIce    1,642

That's for scholarships the university gives out not pertaining to football. Examples being dual sport players or guys on academic scholarships. Essentially you can't be on a baseball scholarship or academic scholarship play snaps in football and not count towards the 85. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's the rule.

But doesn't it work the same since his dad is going to be a University Employee, meaning free or reduced tuition?

DrunkOffPunch    480

But doesn't it work the same since his dad is going to be a University Employee, meaning free or reduced tuition?

Wow, completely didn't register to me that it's John Parrella's kid when I first commented. Sorry about that. I believe what you stated is true though; he can walk-on and not count towards the 85 as long as he doesn't play. Again, I could be wrong.

sho    91

Doug McDermott was a walk on his senior year at Creighton to free up a scholarship. He had to pay tuition, couldn't take the reduced tuition rate he would have had for a family member being an employee of the school. So Alex could walk on, and his family would just have to foot the tuition bill every year. At least that's how I understand the workings of this.

ScottyIce    1,642

Doug McDermott was a walk on his senior year at Creighton to free up a scholarship. He had to pay tuition, couldn't take the reduced tuition rate he would have had for a family member being an employee of the school. So Alex could walk on, and his family would just have to foot the tuition bill every year. At least that's how I understand the workings of this.

Okay, that makes sense.

caveman99    199

Yeah but doesn't that also limit the player's access to the other benefits included in a scholarship such as the meal program? If that is the case, I can see that being a bigger problem in FB over BB.

YetiJR    0

Thus why I quit listing 40 times in profiles unless they are a verified time from a recruiting combine:

In fairness, a lot of kids will lose some speed as they get bigger/stronger.

BigRedBuster    7,307

Have to admit, I'm a little burned out on offers. We have offered an amazing number of kids in the last month.

At this point, other than s few, there is no way of knowing if any are even interested.

AFhusker    408

I believe that is right as the cost per semester hour for employee's is really low. Something like $40.00 a credit hour or less, I can't remember as it was discussed a few years back when all of the Cotton's were getting scholarships and some were saying that Barney could pay for it and save the school scholarships to use on other recruits.

BigRedBuster    7,307

Good read on both Gebbia and Coan.

Gebbia, listed at 6-foot-3, 180 pounds (but frankly shorter and skinnier than that) visits Nebraska Monday. He's the quarterback for Calabasas wideout and Husker receiver target Keyshawn Johnson, Jr. Gebbia has already visited Lincoln before, and he recently visited Ole Miss, among other schools. Gebbia told Rivals' South Carolina site that he'd visit the Gamecocks after that program offered him recently, and he also take a tour of some other southern schools. Gebbia has a rocket arm. It's his best attribute.

Coan, a 6-foot-4, 215-pounder, hails from Long Island, and, according to Husker Online, intends to visit March 17. Coan had originally planned to visit for Nebraska's spring game. Coan is taking his own tour of schools -- mostly in the Big Ten and the northeast. Coan is taller, more mobile than Gebbia, but possessing a weaker arm.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/recruiting-qb-sweepstakes-heats-up-between-tristian-gebbia-and-jack/article_b8f588f2-e478-11e5-a8a6-137232abfd1e.html

BigRedBuster    7,307

Gebbia, listed at 6-foot-3, 180 pounds (but frankly shorter and skinnier than that) visits Nebraska Monday. He's the quarterback for Calabasas wideout and Husker receiver target Keyshawn Johnson, Jr. Gebbia has already visited Lincoln before, and he recently visited Ole Miss, among other schools. Gebbia told Rivals' South Carolina site that he'd visit the Gamecocks after that program offered him recently, and he also take a tour of some other southern schools. Gebbia has a rocket arm. It's his best attribute.

Coan, a 6-foot-4, 215-pounder, hails from Long Island, and, according to Husker Online, intends to visit March 17. Coan had originally planned to visit for Nebraska's spring game. Coan is taking his own tour of schools -- mostly in the Big Ten and the northeast. Coan is taller, more mobile than Gebbia, but possessing a weaker arm.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/recruiting-qb-sweepstakes-heats-up-between-tristian-gebbia-and-jack/article_b8f588f2-e478-11e5-a8a6-137232abfd1e.html

OK...so I'll ask the question I have been pondering since I posted this.

Gebbia is maybe shorter than 6'3" but has a rocket for an arm.

Coan is 6'4" 215 lbs but doesn't have the arm strength but is also more mobile.

Just knowing that and assuming it is all true, which do you prefer? I guess I'm a little concerned about Gebbia's height. He could always still grow some. I do like the fact of a more mobile QB in Coan.

Savage Husker    534

OK...so I'll ask the question I have been pondering since I posted this.

Gebbia is maybe shorter than 6'3" but has a rocket for an arm.

Coan is 6'4" 215 lbs but doesn't have the arm strength but is also more mobile.

Just knowing that and assuming it is all true, which do you prefer? I guess I'm a little concerned about Gebbia's height. He could always still grow some. I do like the fact of a more mobile QB in Coan.

Being a Russell Wilson fan, his height doesn't bother me, but the mobility is a slight concern. The lack of mobility can be countered by being a smart QB. Just my 2¢