Hello Huskers

No, I can't make it for the game, but I wish I could. I've always wanted to make a game in Lincoln. I've been to Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Ole Miss, Southern Miss, Cal, Clemson, LSU and, of course, Tulane where I did my undergrad. I had this game circled since the series was announced, but when the schedule came out, if fell on my anniversary. Now, usually I can fight about this, and win about half of the time, but after last year, I decided it wasn't worth the fight and $ to go and watch Miami likely get killed. I already spend enough on season tickets when I live 800 miles from Miami.

And, Landlord, I know that's a jab, but I'm not delusional, our fanbase sucks. I'll admit it. I won't defend it (unless you're a Gator or Seminole, then I will).

No, I can't make it for the game, but I wish I could. I've always wanted to make a game in Lincoln. I've been to Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Ole Miss, Southern Miss, Cal, Clemson, LSU and, of course, Tulane where I did my undergrad. I had this game circled since the series was announced, but when the schedule came out, if fell on my anniversary. Now, usually I can fight about this, and win about half of the time, but after last year, I decided it wasn't worth the fight and $ to go and watch Miami likely get killed. I already spend enough on season tickets when I live 800 miles from Miami.

And, Landlord, I know that's a jab, but I'm not delusional, our fanbase sucks. I'll admit it. I won't defend it (unless you're a Gator or Seminole, then I will).

Just messing around. A Miami fan came on this board a while back spouting off about having the best fanbase in all of college football and we had a good laugh about it. Welcome to the board and good luck to your team every week besides next.

I will say that, despite "the U's" reputation as a thuggish program, I met many Miami fans in California prior to the 2002 Rose Bowl and found them all to be quite classy. The university is a very good academic institution, and if the OP's parents are professors there, and I'm sure some, of the very, very few longtime die-hards, the OP must be good people. Welcome.

Yes, we do have that reputation, and some of it is earned, though some it is not. It does get annoying when people still refer to Miami as thug U, when if you look at our arrest records and classroom and graduation rates, we're basically choir boys compared to a lot of college football (at least the SEC), but I doubt we'll ever shed that image. Unfortunately a lot of Miami fans embrace the image and are "tough guys" on the internet and in the stands. You'll usually find much "better" Miami fans at away games or bowl games then you will at home, and, as bad as our home attendance can be, we usually travel well. Some schools are shocked because of our reputation for having horrible home attendance, but we're great on the road, largely because 55% of the student body is from out of the state. Since I live in Chattanooga, I go to all the games at Ga Tech, and the Tech fans have said that we've brought the most fans of any school aside from Georgia, Clemson and Auburn. Each time I've been to Atlanta (2004, 2010, 2012) Miami has had over 10,000 fans. I remember Miami bringing over 5,000 to Seattle in 2000 to play Washington. I know you guys travel well, but for a school the size of Miami to have 5K+ fans all the way in Seattle was pretty impressive.

As for my parents, mother was an English professor at Miami before moving to FIU in the 90s, and my father teaches a class a semester at the Med school, and as much as I love Miami, I never wanted to attend school there. Not anything about the school, but growing up in Miami, I needed to get away for school.