Taylor Martinez Interview

Interesting interview, said he still has lingering effects from the 2010 ankle injury, he was supposed to play as a true freshman as the wildcat quarterback but Bo changed his mind during the game. Says he would have won the 2010 Heisman and Nebraska would have won out if he didn't get injured. Wishes Shawn Watson had stayed for continuity and said Beck didn't call the zone read as much. (Sounds like he didn't like Beck but that's my take) Said he gave it his all and will always be a husker. Also talked about his app making and going into real estate.

http://www.theticketfm.com/husker-legends/taylor-martinez-part-1/

http://www.theticketfm.com/husker-legends/taylor-martinez-part-2/

• Fire 2

The only past season that really eats at me is 2010. I don't know about the Heisman but I do think he's right that we would have won out. He got injured during the Missouri game, and we lost to A&M and Oklahoma by 3 points each. If he had been born a year earlier or if Bo had ended up putting him in as a true freshman and then decided to let him just be the QB, 2009 could've been different too. He wouldn't have had as much experience but the offense was so terrible he would have made a difference.

Would have been a fun ride in 2010 for sure, but fact remains they struggled against south Dakota state with a healthy Martinez, and lost to an unranked and ripe for the taking Texas at home, all before the Missouri game.

Martinez was also fast enough in 2012 to log one of the best highlight reel runs in college football history. Watch him find fifth gear AFTER scrambling for 50 yards against Wisconsin. Had a 90 yard td against a very fast UCLA that year, too.

The way the season was going he would have been in New York at least in 2010. The hype he was getting after OSU and KSU was great. Defenses were having fits and no one had enough film to know his weaknesses.

The Watson comments remind me that the grass isn't always greener. He fan base couldn't wait to get him out. Now they can't wait to get Beck out.

Listening to him is soooooo painful. Love this nugget as well:

"Coach Beck and Coach Watson, they only let me throw it 20-24 times a game. If they'd let me throw it between 30 and 40 times a game, I'd get in a rhythm and go for 250 or more yards every time."

#facepalmofthecentury

Taylor's numbers when throwing for over 30 attempts per game:

Oklahoma State - 23/35 (65.7%) - 323 yards - 5 TD - 0 INT

Northwestern - 28/37 (75.7%) - 289 yards - 2 TD - 0 INT

Southern Miss - 26/34 (76.5%) - 354 yards - 5 TD - 0 INT

UCLA - 17/31 (54.8%) - 179 yards - 0 TD - 1 INT

Northwestern - 27/39 (69.2%) - 342 yards - 3 TD - 0 INT

Michigan State - 16/36 (44.4%) - 160 yards - 2 TD - 3 INT

Minnesota - 21/29 (72.4%) - 308 yards - 2 TD - 0 INT

Wisconsin - 17/33 (51.5%) - 184 yards - 0 TD - 2 INT

UCLA - 21/35 (60%) - 203 yards - 3 TD - 0 INT

Minnesota - 16/30 (53.3%) - 139 yards - 1 TD - 0 INT

I don't agree with Taylor, but I also expect him to believe in himself and his ability more than I do, and I also hardly think it's the facepalm of the century. The numbers and memory suggest that Taylor did pretty well throwing the ball when he was given enough attempts to get into a groove. People remember his awful games throwing but they dont' remember the great ones nearly as much (except for Oklahoma State and Southern Miss). He started that 2011 Ohio State game 11/11 passing too, just as an example.

Anyways, 2010 more than any other year was the 'what could have been' season for Bo. All the momentum, all of the pieces in place, plenty of motivation, then Taylor's injury really had a devastating effect. There's not much of a debate that we wouldn't have won the A&M and Oklahoma games, which would have put us into the Fiesta Bowl game (against UCONN or something that year right?), going either 12-2 or 13-1 on the season.

Sigh.

• Fire 3

I also believe that, if he hadn't been injured and won out, he would have probably got the Heisman. Going undefeated with those numbers he put up and his highlight reel would be hard to beat.

We wouldn't have beat Texas with a healthy Taylor.

We didn't beat Texas with a healthy Taylor.

To put it another way: Martinez deserves more credit than a lot of Husker fans are willing to give him, but he doesn't deserve all the credit (or excuses) he's willing to give himself.

• Fire 7

"Coach Beck and Coach Watson, they only let me throw it 20-24 times a game. If they'd let me throw it between 30 and 40 times a game, I'd get in a rhythm and go for 250 or more yards every time."

#facepalmofthecentury

4 or 5 of those 10 games were losses. So if you look past the stats themselves, you really get the full picture: When teams force us to pass more than 30 times (or to state it more accurately, when Beck gives up on running the ball too quickly and gets pass happy), our results are not as desirable.

Running the ball sets the tone for the game if you stick with it. Passing the ball is pretty hot-and-cold. Especially with a passer like Taylor back there (and I have nothing against him, but I cringed every time he dropped back to pass).

• Fire 4

#facepalmofthecentury

4 or 5 of those 10 games were losses. So if you look past the stats themselves, you really get the full picture: When teams force us to pass more than 30 times (or to state it more accurately, when Beck gives up on running the ball too quickly and gets pass happy), our results are not as desirable.

Running the ball sets the tone for the game if you stick with it. Passing the ball is pretty hot-and-cold. Especially with a passer like Taylor back there (and I have nothing against him, but I cringed every time he dropped back to pass).

Sometimes teams force us to pass more than 30 times by stopping our running game. Running the ball can be equally hot-and-cold. In the games we lost, the passing stats get jacked up because we're trying to come from behind in the fourth quarter with the clock against us and a pourous Nebraska defense doing the offense no favors. We also fumbled a lot. Even more than we threw interceptions. So yeah, you gotta look past the stats to get the full picture. The games where we threw for over 300 yards also tended to come with a solid rushing component.