95 orange bowl Nebraska vs. Miami

"It's Schlesinger" These words still run a chill down my spine.

It was 11:02 p.m. in Lincoln when Nebraska play-by-play announcer Kent Pavelka uttered these words that fans today can still recite:

“The snap to Tommie and the give on the trap play, and it’s Schlesinger inside the 5! In there for the touchdown! He’s got the touchdown! It’s a touchdown for Cory Schlesinger, and Nebraska takes the lead with 2:46 left to go in the ball game!”

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/yards-it-s-schlesinger-inside-the/article_a937b139-28ce-557f-bc01-def49a92cb4c.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNJgFETHo4g&feature=player_detailpage#t=9269

2 hr 34 min 25 sec

Words that still send chills down my spine today:

It was 11:02 p.m. in Lincoln when Nebraska play-by-play announcer Kent Pavelka uttered these words that fans today can still recite:

“The snap to Tommie and the give on the trap play, and it’s Schlesinger inside the 5! In there for the touchdown! He’s got the touchdown! It’s a touchdown for Cory Schlesinger, and Nebraska takes the lead with 2:46 left to go in the ball game!”

This video shows the play but it is the TV guys talking

My favorite line of that game is when NBC is going to commercial after Tommie's 2-pt conversion pass to Eric Alford.

As the pass is being replayed, Cris Collinsowrth simply says "He can't throw. He can't throw. We're tied!!!"

That was actually a bit of self-deprecation by Collinsworth (a very RARE bit). Collinsworth had just gotten done saying they needed to bring Berringer back in because Miami was stuffing the Option. They knocked us back or held us for no gain on two or three Option plays before we ripped off several long runs in a row, and he seemed genuinely pleased to be proven wrong. He seemed to me to be laughing at himself with that "He can't throw!" line.

• Fire 2

Painful memories for me. Our offense really hung our defense out to dry in that game. I think I'll watch the '84, '89, '92 OB games or the '02 Rose Bowl instead. You guys enjoy this one. I was there, don't think I can stomach it again.

So many games like that for Nebraska Fan. We lost seven straight bowl games just before that 1994 win. It looked like we were going to lose again, even midway through the 4th quarter, until Frazier put on his Superman cape and willed the team to win.

Remember that Costa nearly threw a 60-somthing yard TD bomb late in the 4th quarter that would have put you guys up again. Could have changed the course of history if he'd connected, because your receiver was wide open. Only thing saving Nebraska's butt on that one was we had broken down your O Line so badly Costa had no chance to set and throw that ball - he just heaved it and prayed while getting absolutely buried. Again.

Of course, you guys got payback in 2001, an utterly dominating performance that I never want to watch again, so don't think we don't know how you folks feel. We do. Moreso.

Words that still send chills down my spine today:

This video shows the play but it is the TV guys talking

One of the best "fake" blocks ever. Stai fakes like he's going to block Sapp, then goes and gets Ray Lewis.

My favorite line of that game is when NBC is going to commercial after Tommie's 2-pt conversion pass to Eric Alford.

As the pass is being replayed, Cris Collinsowrth simply says "He can't throw. He can't throw. We're tied!!!"

That was actually a bit of self-deprecation by Collinsworth (a very RARE bit). Collinsworth had just gotten done saying they needed to bring Berringer back in because Miami was stuffing the Option. They knocked us back or held us for no gain on two or three Option plays before we ripped off several long runs in a row, and he seemed genuinely pleased to be proven wrong. He seemed to me to be laughing at himself with that "He can't throw!" line.

Collinsworth was saying his "He can't throw" comment in a light-hearted manner. I guess I didn't pick up on that he was making fun of himself, and his previous criticism of Frazier.

Painful memories for me. Our offense really hung our defense out to dry in that game. I think I'll watch the '84, '89, '92 OB games or the '02 Rose Bowl instead. You guys enjoy this one. I was there, don't think I can stomach it again.

So many games like that for Nebraska Fan. We lost seven straight bowl games just before that 1994 win. It looked like we were going to lose again, even midway through the 4th quarter, until Frazier put on his Superman cape and willed the team to win.

Remember that Costa nearly threw a 60-somthing yard TD bomb late in the 4th quarter that would have put you guys up again. Could have changed the course of history if he'd connected, because your receiver was wide open. Only thing saving Nebraska's butt on that one was we had broken down your O Line so badly Costa had no chance to set and throw that ball - he just heaved it and prayed while getting absolutely buried. Again.

Of course, you guys got payback in 2001, an utterly dominating performance that I never want to watch again, so don't think we don't know how you folks feel. We do. Moreso.

Yes, Taj Johnson, was the receiver for Miami that was wide open. I bet if you ask 10 Miami fans, 9 don't remember him. He did absolutely nothing in his Miami career. That Miami team was so frustrating. A Horrible offense, but a dominant defense. DL of Kenard Lang and Kenny Holmes at the ends and Warren Sapp and Patrick Riley at the DT (Riley would have been a first round pick, but he got hurt). LBs led by Ray Lewis and Rohan Marley, and a secondary that had 2 or 3 All-Americans in it in Richardson, Jones and Pearson. Stupid Dennis Erickson and his duck and chuck Frank Costa led, no offense line offense.