The Cornhusker

Hey all, I've been reading these boards for years (mostly to get news on whatever rumors are going around) and have never really contributed a whole lot to them. However, I saw this article from the LJS pop up on my Twitter feed and saw that no one had posted anything about it yet. I just wanted to get the Everyday-Husker-Fan's take on it. Apparently, a local Irish band from Lincoln brought back an old Husker fight song from before WWII and put a modern twist on it. I think it sounds pretty sweet and it would be interesting if they ever found a way to use it on game day. Wondering what everyone thought.

Take a listen at the link below:

http://journalstar.com/entertainment/music/the-killigans-bring-back-the-cornhusker-fight-song/article_9be362ce-e7df-55b1-acac-e59c5ca4f6f8.html

• Fire 3

I think this could be a great possibility to play before the start of the 4th quarter.

I seem to remember this song playing during the credits of the 3-part Husker Century documentaries that PBS put together several years ago.

Below is the original lyrics from the UNL Band webpage: http://www.unl.edu/band/songs.shtml

The Cornhusker (Come A Runnin' Boys)
Words and Music by Robert W. Stevens

Come a runnin' boys
Don't you hear that noise like the thunder in the sky
How it rolls along in a good old song
From the sons of Nebraski.
Now it's coming near with a rising cheer
That will sweep all foes away,
So with all our vim
We are bound to win and we're going to win today.

CHORUS:
For Nebraska and the scarlet
For Nebraska and the cream,
Tho' they go thru many a battle,
Our colors still are seen.
So in contest and in vict'ry
We will wave them for the team,
And 'twill always stir a Cornhusker,
The old scarlet and the cream.

• Fire 1

This song was unearthed by the marching band in about 2000 (or 2001, perhaps), after not being played for decades. We played it a few times during games, but it never really became a huge part of our repertoire or got much of a response (not that the band ever got a big response from anything we played). Does the current marching band still play it ever?

Kind of a cool song though, it's nice to see the Killigans take a stab at it; I like it. But I agree it probably wouldn't translate to the tunnel walk or a Jump Around-style sing-along. Would be a good addition to the pre-game warmups prior to the tunnel walk, perhaps.