Social Responsibility of Employer

Ok. This entire Adrian Peterson/Ray Rice issue has me asking questions.

First off, I don't support or even want to appear to support any actions of abuse.

My question comes as an employer. The NFL is getting bombarded in the media and public over these issues.

I'm going to throw this out there just for discussion. Is it fair to have ill feelings towards the NFL based on what someone in their organization did away from work?

Both Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson have been suspended indefinitely for their actions. I don't feel one bit sorry for them. But, if one of my employees gets accused of doing the same thing, would the public expect me to suspend that employee or fire them?

If not, why then is the NFL different than a private employer? Is it simply because they are public figures? Is it even legal to fire an employee based on something they did away from work that doesn't affect their work?

The NFL is a poor comparator for your average business. The NFL is show business, employs roll models (whether anyone thinks they are/should be or aren't/shouldn't be, they are - deal with it), and has a far greater social impact than, say, a local manufacturing company.

Regarding the legality of firing someone at your shop in a similar situation, presuming we're not talking about a shop with a collective bargaining agreement, state law allows you to terminate an employee at your will. For any reason not related to discriminatory bases (age, race, color, religion, sex, etc), you can fire someone. You can promote them, demote them, change their hours, change their wage, change anything you like. You're the employer, that job is not the employee's job, it's yours.

It is a state by state situation when it comes to firing.

I know that Police/Lawyers can be suspended based on charges/allegation.

I dont believe my company could fire me based on allegations or an on-going legal case.. but i am not sure. I think the state of Minnesota allows for an employer to fire someone for basically any reason, so they might be able to.

I disagree with that, because lets say that i have an enemy who wants to ruin me... just make some allegations that hold some weight, release the information to my employer, get me fired and then later on they might clear me of any wrong doing and I am standing there without a job based on un-true allegations.

I get the AP situation is very different, but I tend to be in the side that says let the legal process work its way out and then take actions as a company.

Sadly the Minnesota Vikings were not given that right because public opinion and sponsorship dollars forced the Vikings hand. It is too bad that a company like anheuser busch were able to force a decision.

I dont believe my company could fire me based on allegations or an on-going legal case.. but i am not sure. I think the state of Minnesota allows for an employer to fire someone for basically any reason, so they might be able to.

I disagree with that, because lets say that i have an enemy who wants to ruin me... just make some allegations that hold some weight, release the information to my employer, get me fired and then later on they might clear me of any wrong doing and I am standing there without a job based on un-true allegations.

I get the AP situation is very different, but I tend to be in the side that says let the legal process work its way out and then take actions as a company.

Sadly the Minnesota Vikings were not given that right because public opinion and sponsorship dollars forced the Vikings hand. It is too bad that a company like anheuser busch were able to force a decision.

You are forgetting that Petersen has openly admitted to crossing the line.

Just stop. Just because the laws about disciplining children are cloudy at best, doesn't mean what he did is right in any frame of mind. I know it. You know it. He knows it. And the billionaires that keep stepping on their own dicks about this know it.

Just stop. Just because the laws about disciplining children are cloudy at best, doesn't mean what he did is right in any frame of mind. I know it. You know it. He knows it. And the billionaires that keep stepping on their own dicks about this know it.

I am not forgetting anything. What he admitted to might not be breaking a law in the state of Texas...

And i havent ever said i agree with what he did. I agree he did wrong and crossed the line. I dont have an issue with him being punished, but dont get the rush to do this.

I am not asking for him to not be punished. I am asking for the process to play itself out so that the proper punishment can be handed out unlike the Ray Rice situation.

I am not forgetting anything. What he admitted to might not be breaking a law in the state of Texas...

And i havent ever said i agree with what he did. I agree he did wrong and crossed the line. I dont have an issue with him being punished, but dont get the rush to do this.

I am not asking for him to not be punished. I am asking for the process to play itself out so that the proper punishment can be handed out unlike the Ray Rice situation.

So if he is found not guilty in a court, are you going to shrug your shoulders and say, "oh well. the law has spoken. on to the next game, " while you throw your AP jersey on?

Regardless of what the court decides, he is a child abuser and should be getting decimated in the court of public opinion a lot worse than he is. And the Vikings ownership is a bunch of nutless, greedy whores that should have worse coming to them than they have already.

• Fire 1

Reading this conversation and St.Paul, you are suggesting that the NFL or the Vikings should take swift action and do what they have done. I'm not arguing against that.

However, the Big Ten basically did that with Penn State in the Sandusky situation and now they have sort of said..."well....what we did was excessive and we shouldn't have." From a lot of comments on this board recently, most fans here believe they stepped over the line also.

Is rush to judgement and punish wrong in one instance and the right thing to do in the other?

So if he is found not guilty in a court, are you going to shrug your shoulders and say, "oh well. the law has spoken. on to the next game, " while you throw your AP jersey on?

Regardless of what the court decides, he is a child abuser and should be getting decimated in the court of public opinion a lot worse than he is. And the Vikings ownership is a bunch of nutless, greedy whores that should have worse coming to them than they have already.

No. You do what they did in the Ray Rice situation. you take the facts and punish him at that point.

I think AP deserves 6-8 games. IF it comes out that he is convicted of child abuse, and does prison time, that might be pushed to a year ban...

The court trial will bring out other things as well, which can help in making the proper decision.

Reading this conversation and St.Paul, you are suggesting that the NFL or the Vikings should take swift action and do what they have done. I'm not arguing against that.

However, the Big Ten basically did that with Penn State in the Sandusky situation and now they have sort of said..."well....what we did was excessive and we shouldn't have." From a lot of comments on this board recently, most fans here believe they stepped over the line also.

Is rush to judgement and punish wrong in one instance and the right thing to do in the other?

You have a point except for one major issue. There was no physical evidence or admission of guilt with Sandusky. Petersen is openly admitting to crossing the line. He is basically saying I abused my child but I am not a child abuser.

No. You do what they did in the Ray Rice situation. you take the facts and punish him at that point.

I think AP deserves 6-8 games. IF it comes out that he is convicted of child abuse, and does prison time, that might be pushed to a year ban...

The court trial will bring out other things as well, which can help in making the proper decision.

Again, the FACTS are the photos showing a bloody child at the hands of Petersen AND his own admission of beating the child. What other facts are you waiting for?

Those photos were also taken days (a week?) after the whipping. There is zero doubt in my mind that's abuse of the worst kind. It's reprehensible and ugly and he should be punished.

Nobody is arguing against that.

I will tell you now as a business owner that if one of my employees does something like this, I am finding every possible legal avenue I can to fire them. No doubt about it

Those photos were also taken days (a week?) after the whipping. There is zero doubt in my mind that's abuse of the worst kind. It's reprehensible and ugly and he should be punished.

I will tell you now as a business owner that if one of my employees does something like this, I am finding every possible legal avenue I can to fire them. No doubt about it

I don't blame you and I probably would do the same thing.

Where does that stop for you? OK, child abuse constitutes getting fired. I'm assuming you would say the same about what Ray Rice did (and I don't disagree). Are you going to do the same if someone gets in a fight down at the bar and gets arrested? Is it with anything that is going to end up in the court news in the paper?

I don't blame you and I probably would do the same thing.

Where does that stop for you? OK, child abuse constitutes getting fired. I'm assuming you would say the same about what Ray Rice did (and I don't disagree). Are you going to do the same if someone gets in a fight down at the bar and gets arrested? Is it with anything that is going to end up in the court news in the paper?

I suppose it would have to be a case by case basis. But beating a defenseless person warrants firing. There is no gray area.