Miami, Nebraska leave glory years behind (ESPN article)

hskrpwr13

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/107447/miami-nebraska-leave-glory-years-behind#comments

"One thing that we did have in common is, if you looked at our recruiting classes, we were usually -- Miami and Nebraska -- ranked around 20th or 30th, 35th," Osborne said. "They seemed to get a lot of players out of South Florida that lots of people didn’t know about. And we got a lot of kids out of Nebraska and other places that people didn’t know much about. We developed talent. We didn’t have as many blue-chip players, but we certainly had guys who could play."

"Football is still a developmental game," Osborne said. "People go about it in different ways.

Found these quotes from Osborne interesting since I've heard many revisionists claim that NU did have highly ranked recruiting classes. I think the last quote is key in that, yes although talent matters, player development would still be the higher concern.

Because we ran a system different than everyone else. So even though we might get the 25th best QB or less even, he was the best to run the option. Same goes for the other positions. And they developed players, and walk on players. Running the system we have now we have to recruit harder against other schools. Not saying I don't like it, although I do believe our old offense would still work just fine today.

• Fire 1

Because we ran a system different than everyone else. So even though we might get the 25th best QB or less even, he was the best to run the option. Same goes for the other positions. And they developed players, and walk on players. Running the system we have now we have to recruit harder against other schools. Not saying I don't like it, although I do believe our old offense would still work just fine today.

The problem is that more teams now want those dual threat QBs like what we used to get. So, instead of being able to get a top dual threat QB fairly easy, now, we are competing against 60% of the rest of college football for those guys. And, some of those are powerhouse programs right now closer to recruiting hotbeds.

Agreed. That, and the way recruiting goes today, it's a lot harder to find those diamonds in the rough. Guys like Zach Weigert and Aaron Taylor either weren't well known or didn't fit the prototype that people wanted for their offensive lineman back then, but they found a home at DoNU.

The problem is that more teams now want those dual threat QBs like what we used to get. So, instead of being able to get a top dual threat QB fairly easy, now, we are competing against 60% of the rest of college football for those guys. And, some of those are powerhouse programs right now closer to recruiting hotbeds.

Maybe. I guess I never considered the qb's we used to have as dual threats. They were best running the option and proficient at play action passes. Not so much in the downfield pass territory. Find the best option qb out there and teach him to throw the short, high percentage PA passes. Yeah, I know some of them could throw downfield a little too. And definitely on the those programs being closer to the recruiting hotbeds.

• Fire 2

Agreed. That, and the way recruiting goes today, it's a lot harder to find those diamonds in the rough. Guys like Zach Weigert and Aaron Taylor either weren't well known or didn't fit the prototype that people wanted for their offensive lineman back then, but they found a home at DoNU.

Absolutely. Imagine that those two guys weren't well known, lol!

Found these quotes from Osborne interesting since I've heard many revisionists claim that NU did have highly ranked recruiting classes. I think the last quote is key in that, yes although talent matters, player development would still be the higher concern.

Not sure if it's revisionist as much as it's fact. They weren't top 5 classes, but they weren't 35 either. Wallace was a big one back in the last 80's, 90's...

...if Pelini is bringing in classes like that, he'll be just fine.

Maybe. I guess I never considered the qb's we used to have as dual threats. They were best running the option and proficient at play action passes. Not so much in the downfield pass territory. Find the best option qb out there and teach him to throw the short, high percentage PA passes. Yeah, I know some of them could throw downfield a little too. And definitely on the those programs being closer to the recruiting hotbeds.

I probably used the term "dual threat" in the wrong situation. I believe teams like Oregon would be going after the same type of QBs as we would have gone after back in the 80s and 90s. Very very few QBs are great at both running and throwing coming out of HS. Many are really good at running with decent throwing talent and they improve on that in college.

The QBs Oregon has had would have thrived in our old program. So would have someone like OSUs QB who got injured right before this season (can't remember his name).

Also, I really don't remember any of our QBs back then being good in the short game. Almost all of our passing back then was on play action with either a TE or WR streaking down field.