A Few Realities to Chew On

Landlord

We played a good game. Some questionable actions on both sides tonight. Randy was jawing form the start and I would guess that just grew out of control. Glad to see the staff keep him away from the after game activities on the field.

This is a major comment from me. I think Bo grew up a lot this game. Some questionable stuff happening and yea he got hot under the collar but controlled himself and it appeared the team got back in control. He has been much better this year. I did not see the Fresno telecast but would imagine he was calm and cool the whole game. He conducted himself as most would expect tonight. For me that has been a huge hurdle for him.

It was a great game for Nebraska, and Nebraska is being mentioned quite a bit tonight on the TV.

Tommy is growing, and is truly becoming a weapon. The defense played a great game tonight, most likely against the fastest team we will face this year during the regular season.

I think most of us figured this would be the toughest game. And it was, and we played through it and won. In years past, we would have found a way to lose this game. Big steps were taken I think.

• Fire 1

Jawing takes place in all football at all levels skers. My 6 year okd son "jaws" in his flag games. How many games have you watched this year and how many bear bench clearing scuffles have you seen? And nonetheless ot happened twice tonight. And what ya know? The stupid lookin U is in the middle of it. This is their culture and has been for 30 years, win or lose. Jesus himself could not cure the disease that miami, FL football. So i put ZERO blame on Gregory.

• Fire 1

Since 2008 the biggest struggles under Pelini have been that we can't play complete games of football and that our motivation and performance ride waves of inconsistency, especially against lesser opponents.

Yet after four games, three (and maybe a half) of them have been relatively consistent, relatively clean, focused football to our potential, from first to final whistle.

Generally speaking, we always seem to play the worst at moments where everyone expects us to take care of business easily.

Yet despite every single expert picking Nebraska to win by more than one score, instead of faltering under the lights, we didn't play down to our opponent and we took care of business.

Tim Beck's greatest criticism is going away from what's working and getting too cute.

Yet tonight we only threw the ball 13 times, and ran for over 300 yards at will and with authority, imposing our will play after play, executing when it counted and pounding the sh#t out of Miami.

For a long time it was expected that when bad things happened we didn't have the mental fortitude to keep going and it would often snowball and result in disaster.

Yet in games decided by 10 points or less, we have now won 12 straight.

It's a long season but it's also been a long time since we've had this kind of potential and warranted reason for optimism.

Great post. We've got a few tough ones coming up, but looking at the big picture, we are in a very good situation (but oh how I wish Michael Rose was still available).

Randy wasn't helping things though. A couple times he was close to taunting, clapping in a guys face as they walked down the field. Jawing is fine but you keep it in check.

like i said....

But the issue here isnt jawing. Its pushing and punching and cheap shots? Who crossed that line? Surprise surprise.

I get it. I just wish he would have left it at talking, and not retaliated towards the end like he did. Mitchell is pretty damn lucky he didn't cost us a flag either, but I like the fact he's not afraid to take down a 300lb lineman.

Randy wasn't helping things though. A couple times he was close to taunting, clapping in a guys face as they walked down the field. Jawing is fine but you keep it in check.

like i said....

But the issue here isnt jawing. Its pushing and punching and cheap shots? Who crossed that line? Surprise surprise.

I get it. I just wish he would have left it at talking, and not retaliated towards the end like he did. Mitchell is pretty damn lucky he didn't cost us a flag either, but I like the fact he's not afraid to take down a 300lb lineman.

Even though a flag was probably warranted for that, I thought it was pretty awesome. There's a lot of fight in that dog..

Sometimes winning comes from playing through your weaknesses. Sometimes winning comes from playing to your strengths. I think Nebraska did both last night.

Nebraska linebackers (and to a lesser extent, the DBs) didn't have a good night last night, but minimized the damages and made the most of opportunities for turnovers (with the exception of watching a fumble bounce around, thinking it was an incomplete pass).

As for playing to our strengths, we all saw the running game.

like i said....

Uh. Both teams did.

Randy Gregory and Josh Mitchell should be thanking the NCAA that they didn't get ejected. Especially Josh - he was digging his hands into the facemask of a Miami player.

One of the biggest points you touched on that I want to discuss is Tim Beck.

Tim heard the criticisms of the McNeese State debacle and he ran with it(literally). Our defense was shaky to start and if our offense doesn't come out and do what they did, then we probably lose that game.

Our offense allowed for our defense to wake up and play.

Tim Beck called an outstanding game. He gave Tommy easy throws. Outside of those two Tommy turnovers, we looked fluid.

I was very impressed with how the boys played. They got punched in the face to start and they didnt get scared.

• Fire 1