The Michigan coaching lottery

NUance

It's looking more and more like the Michigan HC slot is going to be on the market soon. So who is the best coach that the Vulvarines legitimately have a shot at getting? I hear names like Jim Harbaugh and Les Miles thrown out there. But would either of these guys give up their current gigs--which are both pretty good jobs in their own right--to jump into the dumpster fire that Ann Arbor currently is?

I'm skeptical that Meechicken could pull in either Harbaugh or Miles. So who could they get?

Not sure Harbaugh is all that far-fetched. Rumor is he doesn't get along with their GM at all and possibly losing the players as well. He could come back "home" and have basically total control over the entire program. Biggest hangup is timing. Last regular season game is December 28 which is later than Michigan would like but not terrible. But if they make the playoffs that's getting very late for a college to get a guy hired.

Not sure Harbaugh is all that far-fetched. Rumor is he doesn't get along with their GM at all and possibly losing the players as well. He could come back "home" and have basically total control over the entire program. Biggest hangup is timing. Last regular season game is December 28 which is later than Michigan would like but not terrible. But if they make the playoffs that's getting very late for a college to get a guy hired.

Unless he gets things corrected, I don't see SF making the playoffs anyway.

Unless he gets things corrected, I don't see SF making the playoffs anyway.

Agreed. And if they don't make the playoffs, it won't surprise me at all if he has a different job next year.

What has to happen for Hoke to get fired mid-season? They'll likely lose to PSU and MSU. If they bookend that with loss(es) against Minnesota, Rutgers, Indiana, or Northwestern ... HE GONE.

Doubt it. Not a lot of mid-season firings unless it's a personal conduct issue.

They may not boot him off campus until December but if he continues dropping games he'll be a dead man walking. Meechicken will be working behind the scenes to interview candidates ahead of time and get a guy in place in a timely manner. Well, that is unless they use the Steve Pederson coaching search method.