Are Armstrong's completions enough?

The thing that scares me is that Armstrong has had several certain picks that were dropped over these first few games. Had one yesterday in fact. The Sparty DBs won't drop balls that get within their grasp. Tommy gonna need to be more careful come Saturday, or it'll be a long day.

• Fire 2

I get tired of this argument, so me & a buddy watched the passing game. Tommy throw the ball 21 times, which 3 were dropped & 2 were thrown away. A lot of his incompletions were do to throwing on the run & because we were in long downs of 20+. He is young and his biggest mistake from yesterday was throwing too late of the middle. He throws also throws little hard on short patterns. Overall, he has managing the offense very well and his legs are big plus in this offense.

• Fire 1

The thing that scares me is that Armstrong has had several certain picks that were dropped over these first few games. Had one yesterday in fact. The Sparty DBs won't drop balls that get within their grasp. Tommy gonna need to be more careful come Saturday, or it'll be a long day.

Please look at those passes, yes the defenders got their hands on some balls but most of them would have been great catches for WR. The only other one from last night that I can remember had Cotton's hands in the play.

I think a lot of times we pick out the few mistakes he makes each game and forget about the good reads he makes and good passes he does throw. I was listening to the PC last night and Bo was asked about Tommys decision making and he responded about how great his decision making is and he's a leader and manages the game very efficiently. However does make some young mistakes. when Bo was asked that I was not expecting that answer, because like most of us, we are clouded by the mistakes he makes. He does s great job with his reads. He knows when to get out of the pocket and run. He rarely takes sacks and isn't afraid to throw the ball away and live another down, and he doesn't throw into double or triple coverage. His picks are from not reading surrounding players. He doesn't really force anything because the player is open, he just forgets to look off a LB. His running is a huge asset and besides his one fumble he has been very good in that dept. I think he will be a load in his next few years here.

• Fire 2

My concern is that Tommy is predictable. I hate how, when he checks down, he never hands the ball off to the back. To throw things off, he should consciously come to the line, change the call, and then hand it to the back. If I'm on D and he checks down, I'm not even going to pay attention to the back because he's not getting it.

One of Ameer's long runs this year was due to a check down by Tommy. I think run alot on checks.

Yep. We won't be able to afford many, if any, mistakes. This game possibly comes down to who has the final possession. Unless we give a few possessions away.

Credit to our defense we have also been taking the ball away the last few games. Davies two picks were fantastic and Gerry's grab was simply amazing.

The importance of Armstrongs game against Michigan state will be converting some third down situations I think. Continuing and sustaining drives. I have no reason not to expect a big play or two also. WR matchups will be interesting to watch. Hoping Westerkamp can get back in the mix a lot in this game. Maybe use Pierson-Els athleticism at WR a bit on some of those screen routes. Something to move the offense and let Tommy find a rhythm. Right now, we haven't been throwing nearly as much, which is working out fine, but it doesn't give the QB a chance to establish that feel in the passing game.

I'll just continue to hope the run game keeps going the way it has been. Even though my faith in Armstrong is high, I'm a run first kind of guy. Always have been , always will be.

Yep. We won't be able to afford many, if any, mistakes. This game possibly comes down to who has the final possession. Unless we give a few possessions away.

Credit to our defense we have also been taking the ball away the last few games. Davies two picks were fantastic and Gerry's grab was simply amazing.

The importance of Armstrongs game against Michigan state will be converting some third down situations I think. Continuing and sustaining drives. I have no reason not to expect a big play or two also. WR matchups will be interesting to watch. Hoping Westerkamp can get back in the mix a lot in this game. Maybe use Pierson-Els athleticism at WR a bit on some of those screen routes. Something to move the offense and let Tommy find a rhythm. Right now, we haven't been throwing nearly as much, which is working out fine, but it doesn't give the QB a chance to establish that feel in the passing game.

I'll just continue to hope the run game keeps going the way it has been. Even though my faith in Armstrong is high, I'm a run first kind of guy. Always have been , always will be.

It seems we always blame the QB, when the last couple of years our line has put us in some bad holes do to penalties. To beat Mich. St. we need to keep Tommy out of 3rd & 10+.

I think a lot of times we pick out the few mistakes he makes each game and forget about the good reads he makes and good passes he does throw. I was listening to the PC last night and Bo was asked about Tommys decision making and he responded about how great his decision making is and he's a leader and manages the game very efficiently. However does make some young mistakes. when Bo was asked that I was not expecting that answer, because like most of us, we are clouded by the mistakes he makes. He does s great job with his reads. He knows when to get out of the pocket and run. He rarely takes sacks and isn't afraid to throw the ball away and live another down, and he doesn't throw into double or triple coverage. His picks are from not reading surrounding players. He doesn't really force anything because the player is open, he just forgets to look off a LB. His running is a huge asset and besides his one fumble he has been very good in that dept. I think he will be a load in his next few years here.

Spot on. You don't see many people pointing out some of the great throws on third and long distance. Or the timing routes he and his receivers have seemed to almost master already. The ball is literally right on the spot when the WR comes out of his break.

The kid is doing a damn fine job.

I think he'll learn from that interception. He tried to make something happen and it didn't work out. How about that 3rd and 22 where Tommy extended the play then took off. How many guys have that level of calm and comfort in the pocket? A lot of credit is deserved for what this sophomore is doing.

Agree. Armstrong is pretty damn good for someone who's been starting for about a full year now. Minus that damn Minny game last year.... GRRR....

Anyway, you're right. I believe he's still just making some poor reads every once in a while. Our offense demands a lot from the QB. You have to make the proper reads throwing AND running. Takes a very cerebral guy. He makes a few mistakes per game... keeps it on the read when he shouldn't, forces a pass when he shouldn't. I'm sure he thinks the guy will be open based on the reps he's gotten in practice and the opponent's D just reacts better to it than the scout team did.

I think this will improve as he becomes more and more experienced. He has been extremely clutch in the past-- think Micigan last year. More of those moments lie ahead. Let the kid continue to develop and we'll see less missed reads and forced passes.

That said, he's definitely gonna have to be on point against this Sparty D next year. They will KILL you for your mistakes. He's going to need the game of his year next week.