NU's revenue in the Big 10 - lacking in comparrison

TGHusker

I hope the long term payout in the Big 10 works out but we'd had made more in the Big 12 and have made less than than many of the other schools who jumped to a new conference.

Overall, i think we made the right move and we'll soon have rivals that go deeper but the Big 10 got us on the cheap in comparison what many schools received when they moved. and Even newcomers to the Big 10 - Maryland and Rutgers will get more during their 1st year than what NU got.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11592735/financial-winners-ncaa-conference-realignments-begin-take-shape

I hope the long term payout in the Big 10 works out but we'd had made more in the Big 12 and have made less than than many of the other schools who jumped to a new conference.

Overall, i think we made the right move and we'll soon have rivals that go deeper but the Big 10 got us on the cheap in comparison what many schools received when they moved. and Even newcomers to the Big 10 - Maryland and Rutgers will get more during their 1st year than what NU got.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11592735/financial-winners-ncaa-conference-realignments-begin-take-shape

#rehashedrehash

It seems kind of frustrating, but we have to look at it from the perspective of what woulda happened had we stayed. Not what's actually happened since we left.

This

Those deals only came out of desperation when it looked like the 12 would fall apart and MASSIVE conference realignment was afoot. If we had bowed our heads and stayed nothing would've changed under that trainwreck Beebe.

Not saying I'm wild about the "junior member" for 5 years deal we took but we're not making less than if we stayed in the 12.

We just forked over a chunk of change for the Arena. We just remodeled the Devaney Center into the premier volleyball court in the nation - maybe the world. We are building a new Tennis & Soccer complex as we speak. We added 6,000 seats and built what would be a top-ten sized building for all of downtown Lincoln onto the Stadium. We just revamped the sound system in the stadium.

This has all been done in the past few years, all during the realignment era. Those changes aren't the only ones coming down the pipeline for the athletic dept.

None of that takes into account the massive project of taking over the State Fair grounds, Innovation Campus, which is in full swing with one building completed and two more going up.

Enrollment is at a 20-year high and expected to maintain growth.

And none of that takes into account the opportunity we have, that was unavailable before moving to the Big Ten, of access to CIC money, a pot of billions of dollars in academic research funds only available to Big Ten conference members and U-Chicago.

So when we're talking about winners and losers financially, I think UNL is doing just fine.

• Fire 4

And it's likely that Big Ten newcomers Rutgers and Maryland -- both in major TV markets -- will get more money in their first year than Nebraska did.

Really? Seems like it should depend on viewership rather than footprint size. As for viewership, you can't tell me that more people watch Rutgers or Maryland football on TV than Nebraska. Maryland might have a bigger TV draw in basketball than us. Might. But in overall athletics I'll bet far more people watch NU than either Maryland or Rutgers.

#rehashedrehash

Picard-facepalm.jpg

As Knapplc mentioned above, the CIC was very important, and I would say worth the jump in of itself. The Big XII wasn't going to start anything of this nature--Texass would dare not share it's ill-gotten academic spoils with the rest of the conference.

And it's likely that Big Ten newcomers Rutgers and Maryland -- both in major TV markets -- will get more money in their first year than Nebraska did.

Really? Seems like it should depend on viewership rather than footprint size. As for viewership, you can't tell me that more people watch Rutgers or Maryland football on TV than Nebraska. Maryland might have a bigger TV draw in basketball than us. Might. But in overall athletics I'll bet far more people watch NU than either Maryland or Rutgers.

It was a question of need for Maryland and Rutgers. They wouldn't have been able to move without that up-front money.

Everything was based on needs at the time of the deal. When the Big Ten took Nebraska in, there was every possibility the Big XII wasn't going to last the month. Pac-10 officials had toured several campuses in Texas and Oklahoma and discussions were underway to make the move. Nebraska wasn't included in that move.

Think about this. Had Texas not been bull-headedly belligerent about the Longhorn Network, today there may be no Big XII at all. You'd have a PAC-16 superconference with Big XII refugees Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Colorado. The sticky wicket in that whole thing was, the Texas legislature wanted Baylor in and Colorado out, and when the Texas/Oklahoma consortium tried to negotiate Baylor into the mix, Cal (among other schools) balked openly about a religious school not fitting with Pac-10 culture. Colorado was left hanging, and with the very real possibility of no Big XII to live in and no PAC-10 to fall back on, they were headed to the Mountain West Conference as a hat-in-hand beggar.

Colorado made the only logical move they could - they gave the finger to the Texas group and joined the PAC-10 immediately. That's the one thing in the past 30 years I can stand up and applaud Colorado for - they made a bold decision and landed safely in a good conference.

Likewise, Nebraska didn't have many options at the time. We simply don't fit the SEC mold, either culturally or geographically. We fit the Big Ten in culture, history and demographics, not to mention geography, far better. It was a no-brainer that we'd end up in the Big Ten, and in fact "what if" conversations had taken place years and years ago. While nothing had ever been set in stone, the conversation had already been broached and the tenor of most of our new conference mates - not all, but most - was in favor of our addition. We're not Notre Dame, the girl the Big Ten has always pined for but who would never date them, but we're a pretty excellent second choice.

Anyway. I could go on and on about this. The realignment process is fascinating to me. The seeds of Nebraska's Big XII departure were sown before the Big XII ever actually existed.

But it's not about viewership. It's about having the BTN added to the cable packages. So it is being paid for regardless of who is watching.

But it's not about viewership. It's about having the BTN added to the cable packages. So it is being paid for regardless of who is watching.

But it sorta is about viewership. I live in Illinois. I get BTN to watch Husker sports. I couldn't care less about Illinois sports, even though I live in Illinois territory. (If there is such a thing. lol) I would bet there are Husker fans all over the nation who get BTN to watch Nebraska. Nebraska has a lot of expatriates.