Jet-Sweep Read Option

it's definitely a wrinkle. it's just another thing to freeze the backers for that half second, which is more than enough for Ameer. And if they stop respecting it, we'll just give it. I remember back in '99, Solich started using Newcombe on jet action almost 100% of the time on handoffs to Alexander or Buckhalter. It just opens things up, and when he did give it to Bobby it would go for 20+, because he sees that the defense after so many times of the fake start ignoring it. It's human nature that is unpreventable. When you see something over and over and over again, your mind and body react to it a certain way. And in today's fast paced football, a fraction of a second cut off the pursuit is enough.

I expect to see this action result in a give to the WR here and there as well as the gives to Ameer that we've seen, and on top of that, keeps by Tommy off both fakes and into qb sweeps and bootleg passes. You know them possibilities are there just waiting to be needed. If we dont need them, great. We'll save em for even further down the road.

No tommy was making the reads and calls that option. It would depend on how they lined up presnap and then what they do in motion when they jet is coming across. If they load of the side with the JEt sweep is comig too then the hand off to Ameer is the option. If they stack the line to stop the inside run the jet is the option. They went with stopping the jet.

I'm sure he is using it to see how the defense will adjust to it and to see how much they respect the jet sweep. If the defense does respect it then it probably takes a linebacker out of the box and gives ameer and the oline one less defender to worry about. On the flip side if a linebacker doesnt leave the box and adjust to the jet sweep then beck calls the jet sweep and it allows the offense to get the edge.

I've always thought the read option needs a third option that would extend the possibility of the play to the sidelines. This seems to be what has developed into that option. I like it. The read option seems to me to be a great play but it basically goes from just off tackle on both sides. There wasn't anything that made the defense defend all the way from side line to side line (unless the RB bumps it out that far).

I believe we started seeing that in the Fresno game. Last week we gave it to the WR a time or two. It's interesting in that I don't ever really remember us getting major gains from it yet.

We saw the give once early in the game I believe, but it didn't work.

I may or may not be confusing this with the New England Patriots game I also watched this week, where nothing worked.

But I *think* it was on one of our early drives.

Bell got it once on a little touch pass but I think that was against Miami. Can't remember if we ever gave it to the motion man against Illinois.

We saw the give once early in the game I believe, but it didn't work.

I may or may not be confusing this with the New England Patriots game I also watched this week, where nothing worked.

But I *think* it was on one of our early drives.

Bell got it once on a little touch pass but I think that was against Miami. Can't remember if we ever gave it to the motion man against Illinois.

I don't believe we did. Didn't Pierson-El get it against Fresno though? Worked his but off for 1 yard or something.

I know it's probably way too cute for some, but I'd really like to see a triple option off of this look. Motion man is the first and then the QB and RB run a speed option.

I'm pretty sure Pierson el has ran it at least once this year. He is credited with one rush for no gain.

I noticed that Bell isn't credited with a rush. Was that play listed as a pass play?

I believe it was listed as a pass play. Similar to a shovel pass

GSG beat me to it

If I remember correctly, none of the "jet sweep" plays were true jet sweeps to begin with. Without any pulling guards, it looks like the line just played the inside zone blocking as they do on other inside option running plays, telling me that the motion guy was never getting the ball in the first place.

It's a good decoy though. It certainly makes the LB's wonder where the ball is.

I think a true jet sweet option, would very rarely be given to the motion guy. The QB would definitely have to make a seriously good read for the motion man, in addition to his read on his option to keep it. If you want to run a jet sweep, you run a jet sweep with leading blockers. Of course, that is my opinion, I am sure there are jet sweeps without the pulling linemen. But it makes sense to release the DL's who almost have no chance on the play, to have the linemen immediately move into the second level to LB's and DB's.

I am a huge fan of the Rocket Jet sweep.

However, if you want a third option on a read option play. TB has an excellent play, one of the best plays I have seen him run ever.

I have always love this play. It's like an inverted veer with a speed option attached to it. It's dependent on having an RB that can pitch the ball. Burkhead was a QB in high school, so he definitely learned how to pitch it, which is why it worked. If you can't get an RB to hold the ball correctly enough to pitch the ball, then my personal thought would be to throw 2 QB's in the backfield with Abdullah. Fyfe can take the snap while Tommy essentially plays the RB role that Burkhead did in the clip above while Abdullah is Abdullah.

But why run this play when the inside and outside zone is working consistently? Maybe TB will show some great wrinkles this week. But maybe we won't need to.