Northwestern Road Trip

jjamuss

We are heading up to the NW game this weekend. For many years in the B12 we would go on at least one road game, but since changing to the B1G we haven't been able until this year.

Few questions for anyone that has been to Evanston to see a game:

1) take our car or ride the train to and fro?

2) tailgating suggestions if by car? Bar/Eatery/Watering Hole suggestions either car/train?

3) how soon is too soon to leave for Evanston from inner Chicago... from Omaha to Lincoln, we go about 6 hours before kickoff so we can indulge.

4) any suggestions that would help a first timer road tripper with the Huskers up to Evanston would be appreciated or things I haven't mentioned.

Many Thanks!

GO BIG RED!

jjamuss

We are heading up to the NW game this weekend. For many years in the B12 we would go on at least one road game, but since changing to the B1G we haven't been able until this year.

3) how soon is too soon to leave for Evanston from inner Chicago... from Omaha to Lincoln, we go about 6 hours before kickoff so we can indulge.

I went two years ago. It seems like it took about half an hour or so from downtown Chicago to the stadium. It's not that far, but traffic was slow the day I went.

Have fun!

Few questions for anyone that has been to Evanston to see a game:

1) take our car or ride the train to and fro?

2) tailgating suggestions if by car? Bar/Eatery/Watering Hole suggestions either car/train?

4) any suggestions that would help a first timer road tripper with the Huskers up to Evanston would be appreciated or things I haven't mentioned.

Many Thanks!

GO BIG RED!

jjamuss

1. Car should be ok on Saturday, just need to know where to park in Evanston. The school should have designated parking spots/bus ride. Train (Red line, purple Line-east of stadium) or Metra (west of stadium) is ok too. If coming in from 80 to 55 to Lake Shore Drive (LSD), can see Solider Field and Navy Pier along the way plus the whole lakefront. LSD ends in north Chicago and can take Sheridan Rd all the way up to Evanston. Parking downtown http://chicago.bestparking.com/

2. Visitors hang out at the parking lot across from Tech Center, near the lake parking lots by the Lakeside field near north beach, or parking garage near sailing center near south beach. Don't know about grilling regulations there. The Nebraska hangout is Kirkwood bar south of Wrigley along the Red/Brown train line, by train or car.

3. 6 hours should be enough. It is homecoming so a lot going on. The campus is good to walk around, there is an inner lake.

4. On the way back if near O'Hare airport there is the Big Ten Museum. Free parking for 5 hours is at the next door Fashion Outlet garage. Also, at the game, try not to wear red clothing, you look like a tourist. Wear purple instead.

Thanks to all who posted tips... Northwestern is AWESOME!! It is BETTER than Lawrence, which shouldn't be that much of a shocker... it is Chicago.

I did see the B1G museum but didn't have time to visit, the GF went into the mall, so I did too.

The game and atmosphere were fantastic. If you haven't been to Evanston to see a game yet, get out your bucket list and add it!

We even made it on TV after the go ahead TD, I always kiss my GF after Husker TDs and she got a text during the game that her cousins at home saw us!

Thanks again for all those who replied!

GBR!! much love to Evanston and the other NU fellas, it was worth every penny and second we put in it!'

James