Current Strength of Schedule rankings

knapplc

Below are the current Strength of Schedule Rankings, from ESPN, Sagarin, TeamRankings.com and Phil Steele.

AxWAXRs.jpg

Rankings are sorted by AP Poll rank. I only did the 26 schools that are ranked by either the AP or Coaches polls.

The higher the ranking in ESPN, TeamRankings & Phil Steele the better. The lower the ranking in Sagarin, the better the ranking is.

• Fire 1

I guess what take from this is that our SOS isn't too bad or am I reading this wrong. It's not super tough but not super easy either.

Eh, it's not very good. Of those teams, the two with the easiest schedules are Marshall and East Carolina. The next four easiest are Nebraska, Michigan State, Ohio State and Minnesota. Although, to be fair, there has only been one game between those four B1G teams Some of the other teams in the Top 25 have played several teams already so that helps. Our schedules are more back-loaded the way things turned out.

I guess what take from this is that our SOS isn't too bad or am I reading this wrong. It's not super tough but not super easy either.

58 is easy. Last few years (55, 20, 26, 39, 52).

If the B1G was worth anything right now we'd be sitting in the 20-30's. Still some time for it to all play out, but looking ahead I'd expect we'd end up with a rank around 55th again. Pretty week considering how many Power5 teams there are.

If the B1G was worth anything right now we'd be sitting in the 20-30's. Still some time for it to all play out, but looking ahead I'd expect we'd end up with a rank around 55th again. Pretty week considering how many Power5 teams there are.

I'm assuming those are year-end numbers for the previous years. Other than MSU, our schedule is pretty back-loaded. It's still relatively easy but I'd guess it will end up 4th out of those six years - kind of in the middle.

I'm assuming those are year-end numbers for the previous years. Other than MSU, our schedule is pretty back-loaded. It's still relatively easy but I'd guess it will end up 4th out of those six years - kind of in the middle.

Rutgers, Purdue, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa. One barely ranked team left. If you call that back-loaded it doesn't say much for our schedule. Hopefully a conference championship game too, which would help.

Rutgers, Purdue, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa. One barely ranked team left. If you call that back-loaded it doesn't say much for our schedule. Hopefully a conference championship game too, which would help.

That's kind of what I was thinking. As MSU continues to win that will help us. Same with Minnesota who will likely be a top 20 team by the time we play them. I don't see Wisconsin and Iowa having the type of seasons we thought they would though. Depending on the bowl opponent, we might finish similar to where we are currently. Lot of other teams play their best matchups late in the season too.

Aside from Sagarin, the numbers listed are ratings, not rankings. Without seeing the whole league, there's no way to see how we rank outside of the top 25 teams. Here are some of the major systems that publish SOS rankings (out of 128 FBS teams):

Massey: 43rd

CFRC: 50th

Sagarin: 58th

Coffey: 60th

SporTheory: 67th

RoundTable: 81st

Average: 60th

This isn't a hang-your-hat-on-it schedule. If I wasn't so lazy I'd go through and do the same roundup for all the P5 schools. We'd be lower 2/3 of that, probably.

To me 58 out of 120 is middle of the pack. Again not great but not terrible. You can only play the games in front of you so not much we can do about it.

This isn't a hang-your-hat-on-it schedule. If I wasn't so lazy I'd go through and do the same roundup for all the P5 schools. We'd be lower 2/3 of that, probably.

Well at first glance the only ones with a worse schedule are MSU and Minnesota (B1G schools) along with Marshall and East Carolina.