Nebraska vs Northwestern: The Condensed Version 10 18 2014

tom12983

Thanks for posting again! So I watched one play. The first play from scrimmage for the Huskers, and I instantly had a question of why we were running what we were running. To me it doesn't make sense but I thought it was clear that Abdullah ignored where he was suppose to go, and decided to cut back into the teeth of the defense without using his vision. It doesn't look to me like he even looked at the gap we were trying to attack on the IZR. So I took a few snapshots of the play in progression. Maybe some of you have some answers, but I know that I would have done things differently on this play call.

In this picture below, the defender is still looking in the backfield for the ball but has already started to break toward the line of scrimmage. I honestly question the play design, if Westy cracks on that guy and Abdullah hits the gap that is open (where the play is/was designed to be run) he may STILL be running due to the one on one block my the top receiver. Leaving Abdullah to make a move on the safety.

• Fire 9

It looks to me like this is either called as or setting up a run-pass option. In it's full form, TA would have the option to give the ball to AA or pull it and throw it to either Westy or Bell, which is why both of them run routes instead of blocking. The other option, especially on the first play of the game, is we just had them run routes to get a feel for what kind of coverage they were running.

As for AA's choice of where to run, I'm not sure. There does seem to be a hole going right but it also seems like AA could have though there was no one still on the left, which was sealed off well at the point of attack but perhaps he didn't see the safety filling that fast.

Thanks for posting again! So I watched one play. The first play from scrimmage for the Huskers, and I instantly had a question of why we were running what we were running. To me it doesn't make sense but I thought it was clear that Abdullah ignored where he was suppose to go, and decided to cut back into the teeth of the defense without using his vision. It doesn't look to me like he even looked at the gap we were trying to attack on the IZR. So I took a few snapshots of the play in progression. Maybe some of you have some answers, but I know that I would have done things differently on this play call.

attachicon.gifNUvsNW Play1.1.png

attachicon.gifNUvsNW Play1.2.png

attachicon.gifNUvsNW Play1.3.png

In this picture below, the defender is still looking in the backfield for the ball but has already started to break toward the line of scrimmage. I honestly question the play design, if Westy cracks on that guy and Abdullah hits the gap that is open (where the play is/was designed to be run) he may STILL be running due to the one on one block my the top receiver. Leaving Abdullah to make a move on the safety.

attachicon.gifNUvsNW Play1.4.png

attachicon.gifNUvsNW Play1.5.png

attachicon.gifNUvsNW Play1.6.png

I don't know how you guys do all this neat stuff with the pictures of the play broken down and your comments in the picture, but it's cool as hell and I'd like to see more stuff like this broken down.

Plus 1.

You're right, that whole thing is confusing. Not sure what we were doing there.

It looks to me like this is either called as or setting up a run-pass option. In it's full form, TA would have the option to give the ball to AA or pull it and throw it to either Westy or Bell, which is why both of them run routes instead of blocking. The other option, especially on the first play of the game, is we just had them run routes to get a feel for what kind of coverage they were running.

As for AA's choice of where to run, I'm not sure. There does seem to be a hole going right but it also seems like AA could have though there was no one still on the left, which was sealed off well at the point of attack but perhaps he didn't see the safety filling that fast.

Is it possible it was supposed to be a play action fake to Abdullah and a throw to Westy on the screen but Abdullah intentionally or unintentionally pulled the ball from Armstrongs grip? Just a possible explanation. I don't know for sure.

Is it possible it was supposed to be a play action fake to Abdullah and a throw to Westy on the screen but Abdullah intentionally or unintentionally pulled the ball from Armstrongs grip? Just a possible explanation. I don't know for sure.

I don't think they were looking to get the ball to Westy, because Armstrong would have to turn back around away from where he is reading. Those zone read bubbles are designed to be the same side as the read so we can make a read on the DE and then the LB/Nickel covering the slot who is running the bubble. Typically the ZR Bubbles are a double read play. As Mav said, "Run-Pass Option".

I don't know how you guys do all this neat stuff with the pictures of the play broken down and your comments in the picture, but it's cool as hell and I'd like to see more stuff like this broken down.

Plus 1.

You're right, that whole thing is confusing. Not sure what we were doing there.

Haha! If I could somehow get paid to do that, I'd quit school and do this full time. One play took me about 40 minutes, but I'm not using any fancy software either...

• Fire 1

Does the long bubble screen stance hold the safety or LB for an extra count or two? It probably sets up that screen later off a play action to AA and the defense crashes the run.

Yes and no, it depends who has responsibility for the bubble. The guy responsible for covering Westy looks to be the deep safety because his eyes are locked onto Westy.

The other guy is staring straight into the backfield, so he shouldn't bite on any "bubble" fake.

• Fire 1

Does the long bubble screen stance hold the safety or LB for an extra count or two? It probably sets up that screen later off a play action to AA and the defense crashes the run.

Yes and no, it depends who has responsibility for the bubble. The guy responsible for covering Westy looks to be the deep safety because his eyes are locked onto Westy.

The other guy is staring straight into the backfield, so he shouldn't bite on any "bubble" fake.

Based on what you're seeing, would you call the bubble screen (or whatever) to take advantage of the defender(s) looking into the backfield? In other words, does this play show something on defense that could be exploited?

Based on what you're seeing, would you call the bubble screen (or whatever) to take advantage of the defender(s) looking into the backfield? In other words, does this play show something on defense that could be exploited?

Yea, absolutely! I just wouldn't run it like they are. I would run it to the same side as the read taking place so that way TA can see both reads. We don't typically see a read like this and then make a QB turn 180 degrees to throw a bubble. Too much room for error because he can't see those defenders coming up hard (or not coming up).

• Fire 1

Yea, absolutely! I just wouldn't run it like they are. I would run it to the same side as the read taking place so that way TA can see both reads. We don't typically see a read like this and then make a QB turn 180 degrees to throw a bubble. Too much room for error because he can't see those defenders coming up hard (or not coming up).

Ok, I'm just trying to understand if this being the first play of the game might have something to do with how they're running it.

Thanks for the analysis. It's fascinating.

This is top notch analysis IMO. Bravo!!! This is great for those of us that want to be students of the game, learn more visually about the defensive/offensive minds behind the methods we see on the field and (my personal favorite) identifying who is performing NOW and who is showing positional improvement week-in and week-out.

I would like to continue to trim the film, if we have any one else out there with related technical experience, maybe we could do something semi-organized...it's up to you guys. If this is working well and you don't want to fix something that's not broke, I'll do my best to keep posting the trimmed version and you can do what you will with it. I hope to get faster at trimming it down so I can get it out by Tuesday or by some miracle Monday Night. Everybody is busy though!

This is top notch analysis IMO. Bravo!!! This is great for those of us that want to be students of the game, learn more visually about the defensive/offensive minds behind the methods we see on the field and (my personal favorite) identifying who is performing NOW and who is showing positional improvement week-in and week-out.

I would like to continue to trim the film, if we have any one else out there with related technical experience, maybe we could do something semi-organized...it's up to you guys. If this is working well and you don't want to fix something that's not broke, I'll do my best to keep posting the trimmed version and you can do what you will with it. I hope to get faster at trimming it down so I can get it out by Tuesday or by some miracle Monday Night. Everybody is busy though!

Our high school season is over after tomorrow night so I will have more free time to watch film on Nebraska. I'm actually excited. I'll be watching more film today looking for some more things that did well, and things we didn't do so well (head scratchers).