Chatelain: It's a running battle with playcaller Tim Beck

http://m.omaha.com/huskers/chatelain-it-s-a-running-battle-with-playcaller-tim-beck/article_ee0a89f8-5c97-11e4-8e9b-0017a43b2370.html?mode=jqm

You know what, Beck is right about some of that. Big plays dont appear out of nowhere. Theres a chess game that many fans dont see. Balance and unpredictability are important. And Tim Beck knows more about offensive scheme than 99 percent of us ever will.

But sometimes hes wrong, too. Sometimes he needlessly complicates the offense. Sometimes he should make defenses solve his last trick before he attempts the next one. Sometimes it all crystallizes in the form of one bad possession in one forgettable game.

Beck was ticked off at his offense Saturday. And fans were ticked off at Beck. But on this point, surely everyone can agree:

Its his fourth season. Hes making $700,000 a year. And until Nebraskas offense performs against a team like Michigan State, 42 points against Rutgers isnt worth an ice cream cone.

Is Dirk really Count or Walks?

Me: “Do you understand the frustration when (Abdullah) rips off two for 50 and you throw it three straight times the next possession?”

Beck: “No, I don’t.”

Me: “Really?”

Beck: “No. You think every time we hand him the ball, he’s gonna run for 50? What if he runs for 2? Should they get frustrated, too, ’cause he didn’t run for 50? Is that the line’s fault then? Or is it his? Did he miss it? Or is it a bad play call because we should’ve ran the other way?”

LOL. We got a reallllll dandy here guys.

Whatever Beck. Enjoy Kansas.

• Fire 5

Me: “Do you understand the frustration when (Abdullah) rips off two for 50 and you throw it three straight times the next possession?”

Beck: “No. You think every time we hand him the ball, he’s gonna run for 50? What if he runs for 2? Should they get frustrated, too, ’cause he didn’t run for 50? Is that the line’s fault then? Or is it his? Did he miss it? Or is it a bad play call because we should’ve ran the other way?”

I thought all of your insane comments last night must have been because of alcohol but nope you're still going at it

I thought all of your insane comments last night must have been because of alcohol but nope you're still going at it

I dont drink. Sober as a whistle.

Me: Do you understand the frustration when (Abdullah) rips off two for 50 and you throw it three straight times the next possession?

Beck: No, I dont.

Me: Really?

Beck: No. You think every time we hand him the ball, hes gonna run for 50? What if he runs for 2? Should they get frustrated, too, cause he didnt run for 50? Is that the lines fault then? Or is it his? Did he miss it? Or is it a bad play call because we shouldve ran the other way?

We had a drive that was all runs that was a 3 and out. you have to pass sometimes.

• Fire 5

Me: Do you understand the frustration when (Abdullah) rips off two for 50 and you throw it three straight times the next possession?Beck: No, I dont.Me: Really?Beck: No. You think every time we hand him the ball, hes gonna run for 50? What if he runs for 2? Should they get frustrated, too, cause he didnt run for 50? Is that the lines fault then? Or is it his? Did he miss it? Or is it a bad play call because we shouldve ran the other way?

We had a drive that was all runs that was a 3 and out. you have to pass sometimes.

4th and 1 at RUTG 40:

Sam Foltz punt for 33 yds, fair catch by Janarion Grant at the Rutgr 7

3rd and 4 at RUTG 43:

Tommy Armstrong Jr. run for 3 yds to the Rutgr 40

2nd and 8 at RUTG 47:

Imani Cross run for 4 yds to the Rutgr 43

1st and 10 at RUTG 49:

Imani Cross run for 2 yds to the Rutgr 47

I don't see Ameer listed there.

Me: Do you understand the frustration when (Abdullah) rips off two for 50 and you throw it three straight times the next possession?Beck: No, I dont.Me: Really?Beck: No. You think every time we hand him the ball, hes gonna run for 50? What if he runs for 2? Should they get frustrated, too, cause he didnt run for 50? Is that the lines fault then? Or is it his? Did he miss it? Or is it a bad play call because we shouldve ran the other way?

4th and 1 at RUTG 40:

3rd and 4 at RUTG 43:

2nd and 8 at RUTG 47:

1st and 10 at RUTG 49:

Besides the point?

4th and 1 at RUTG 40:

3rd and 4 at RUTG 43:

2nd and 8 at RUTG 47:

1st and 10 at RUTG 49:

Besides the point?

No because Ameer was destroying Rutgers, the back up had a 3 and out so we must do something else.

Ameer is a great RB, probably the best in the nation. That doesn't mean he should touch the ball 100% of the time. Even the best RB in the nation can't have a good day if all 11 guys on defense know that he's going to get the ball every time.

Our offense has to keep the defense honest, and we have the ability to with receivers like Kenny Bell, Jordan Westerkamp, and DPE. The only way you keep them honest is by throwing the ball their way.

Every offensive coordinator in the country gives their respective fan base "what the hell are you doing?" moments. Beck is not the exception, but rather the rule. Sometimes it comes down to executing the play. When things go right, the players get all the credit. When things go wrong, it's the offensive coordinator's fault.

You could say, "if we can't execute those plays, why call them?" It's not that simple. Maybe we have executed those plays in the past or in practice, but came up empty during the game. How is the OC supposed to predict the future?

Few words I've rarely heard from our fans, "Excellent play call."

• Fire 6

4th and 1 at RUTG 40:

3rd and 4 at RUTG 43:

2nd and 8 at RUTG 47:

1st and 10 at RUTG 49:

Besides the point?

No because Ameer was destroying Rutgers, the back up had a 3 and out so we must do something else.

Sometimes players, even Ameer himself, need breathers.

I enjoy *90% of what Chatelain writes but I wasn't a fan of this piece. Beck's playcalling, really? That's what Chatelain took from that game? He seems to have been really fishing for something to write about.

The offense put up 450+ yards. Abdullah set a record for yards-from-scrimmage. The game was never, ever in doubt. Our tight end caught a TD pass for godssakes.

*90% of what Chatelain writes about Husker football. I don't read the crap he writes about golf, tennis or baseball.

• Fire 1

4th and 1 at RUTG 40:

3rd and 4 at RUTG 43:

2nd and 8 at RUTG 47:

1st and 10 at RUTG 49:

Did I say Ameer ran it? Do runs for other backs not count as running? Or do you want us to run him into the ground like we did Rex and risk a huge injury?