For Bell, Blocking as Fun as Receiving

Mavric

"Those dudes understand that for us to be a good team you have to run the ball well, and they really take pride in their blocking," Heisman Trophy candidate Ameer Abdullah said. "I know in their room they have a chart with who has the most knockdowns. I think Kenny leads the team. He's a pretty feisty guy. He likes to get after people."

Bell threw key blocks on all three of Abdullah's touchdown runs against Rutgers. He knocked down a pursuing defensive back to help clear the way for Abdullah's 53-yarder, sealed off a defender in the middle of the field on his 48-yarder and engaged a cornerback just over the line of scrimmage as Abdullah went untouched on his 23-yard scoring run.
"I love blocking, and when you get to block for a guy like Ameer... Blocking for No. 8, I can definitely say is a highlight of my career," Bell said.
The senior from Boulder, Colorado, caught six balls for 63 yards against Rutgers and has had at least one reception in 23 straight games and in 45 of the last 46.

Link

• Fire 2

It is a rarity to have a selfless receiver who cares more (at least as much as) blocking as he does receiving. You see so many guys "take plays off" if its not doing their direction, but not at NU. No block, no play. Fish has down a great job to date with the receivers. Hope to develop/recruit another big guy like Quince....