Nebraska biased against in AP poll

C N Red

Some Harvard Sports Analysis numbers. Pretty interesting. Since 2005.

This past week, four of the top five teams in the Associated Press College Football Poll hailed from the SEC West Division. This has led many, such as Nebraska coach Bo Pelini, to question whether ESPN’s ownership of the brand-new SEC network, which launched this year, may be responsible for such a strange occurrence.

“I don’t think that kind of relationship is good for college football. That’s just my opinion,” Pelini said at his news conference. “Anytime you have a relationship with somebody, you have a partnership, you are supposed to be neutral. It’s pretty hard to stay neutral in that situation.”

http://harvardsportsanalysis.org/2014/10/conference-bias-in-college-football/

It sure is a good thing these polls are virtually useless now. Really, what is the relevance of the AP poll anymore? There is none except people want to see some sort of rankings before the playoff committee releases their first mid season. The AP poll is about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop now.

I don't think I am reading this right ...

He made it confusing by not doing conferences and individual teams with negative numbers meaning the same thing. Negative for conference means they're overrated. Negative for a team means they're underrated.

He could have easily flipped it for the teams by subtracting the average predicted ranking from the average actual ranking.

I don't think I am reading this right ...

He made it confusing by not doing conferences and individual teams with negative numbers meaning the same thing. Negative for conference means they're overrated. Negative for a team means they're underrated.

Thank you very much. I am on my phone and couldn't get into the particulars, but that is what was causing my confusion.

spell check please.

Luv dem folks dat get critical on me, when ya own dam screen name be not even a word skersfan as in huskers fan. Yeah it cute when u do it but not me? Naw hell no
You do know most normal people like to sound coherent and not like they're stuck in some 80's rap video no matter what their history/background is don't you?

Coincidently, the time frame referenced, 2005 to now........I'm not sure any amount of AP poll bias really adversely affected the Huskers. We've done a pretty thorough job of keeping ourselves from being ranked highly and poll bias has had nothin to do with it. Let me know when we beat a team ranked higher than us, or even a ranked team for that matter, then we'll see if we have any room to claim bias is keeping us down.

Coincidently, the time frame referenced, 2005 to now........I'm not sure any amount of AP poll bias really adversely affected the Huskers. We've done a pretty thorough job of keeping ourselves from being ranked highly and poll bias has had nothin to do with it. Let me know when we beat a team ranked higher than us, or even a ranked team for that matter, then we'll see if we have any room to claim bias is keeping us down.

bias is keeping us down... by 5 spots. The data isn't saying we're being kept out of anything major.

So, #24 instead of #19...... maybe we (Pelini/Nebraska) shouldn't be the staff bearers of the bias claims. I guess I'm not going to worry about it until actually affects something of substance. And yes I do realize it is real, I just think we need to take care of us before we go worrying about what others may be doing wrong.