If Bo is let go - who could Nebraska get

First off this is not a #FireBo thread. Its a hypothetical one. I want to see how this team finishes the season. After last night I believe a complete house cleaning on both sides of the ball is in order. If Bo is too loyal to do this I believe he needs to be let go.

Now...if that happens what are our options?

Jim Harbaugh (if he leaves the 49ers). Very proven coach. Throw a $h!#load of money at him, his results are worth it. Harbaugh would probably be my #1 realistic (or semi-realistic) pick.

Gus Malzahn (not really a realistic candidate unless we were willing to pay Nick Saban type money...is a proven winner & would be a tremendous hire)

Jim Tressel (been out of coaching for 3 years...still a very proven head coach.)

Kirby Smart (heard his name being thrown around last year...didn't like the idea of hiring Nick Saban's lapdog...but he couldn't possibly field a worse defense that what we saw yesterday...could he??)

Scott Frost (I put him on this list because his name is always brought after a blowout loss...Might be an exciting hire at first but at this point he's less qualified to be the head coach of Nebraska than Bo was when we hired him. His upside is that he's a young up & coming coach. IMO he needs to prove himself some more before he's ready to be a major D1 head coach)

Jon Gruden (would be a big name hire...would be an expensive hire... I would still feel a bit uneasy of hiring an NFL coach after the Callahan era...)

I still kinda liklike the idea of Jim Tressel as head coach with frost being the OC and heir apparent to him learning the ropes of a hc under a great all around mind. Those two could bring in great recruiting classes especially in the midwest and west coast. Frost would love to be here imo if it's not under bo and he knows he could take the reigns at some point.

• Fire 3

I still kinda liklike the idea of Jim Tressel as head coach with frost being the OC and heir apparent to him learning the ropes of a hc under a great all around mind. Those two could bring in great recruiting classes especially in the midwest and west coast. Frost would love to be here imo if it's not under bo and he knows he could take the reigns at some point.

I'd be on board with this, but who are we talking about for DC?

That's up to them. Tressel defenses were always solid so I'd have no qualms with anyone he hired. Also wouldn't mind if it wasn't frost and it was Kirby Smart who we picked up to be heir apparent either as I don't see Saban leaving either.

i heard one fool say joe moglia... god I hope not! i cant take another stadium with that awful greed td logo on it, they already killed the cws, the cubs, and the governor's mansion... now they want to kill our football! altho... JM is 11-0 right now... i really dont care who they get... just win red, WIN!

Jim McElwain from Colorado State looks really good. He was OC at Alabama and is now HC at Colorado State. He is doing a great job there and could be a good fit for Nebraska.

The coach we choose needs to fit our culture. Scott (Frost) might be a good OC but has no HC experience. I don't know if we could go through an unexperienced coach again.

I hear Will Muschamp is looking for work. :D

First off this is not a #FireBo thread. Its a hypothetical one. I want to see how this team finishes the season. After last night I believe a complete house cleaning on both sides of the ball is in order. If Bo is too loyal to do this I believe he needs to be let go.

Now...if that happens what are our options?

Jim Harbaugh (if he leaves the 49ers). Very proven coach. Throw a $h!#load of money at him, his results are worth it. Harbaugh would probably be my #1 realistic (or semi-realistic) pick.

Gus Malzahn (not really a realistic candidate unless we were willing to pay Nick Saban type money...is a proven winner & would be a tremendous hire)

Jim Tressel (been out of coaching for 3 years...still a very proven head coach.)

Kirby Smart (heard his name being thrown around last year...didn't like the idea of hiring Nick Saban's lapdog...but he couldn't possibly field a worse defense that what we saw yesterday...could he??)

Scott Frost (I put him on this list because his name is always brought after a blowout loss...Might be an exciting hire at first but at this point he's less qualified to be the head coach of Nebraska than Bo was when we hired him. His upside is that he's a young up & coming coach. IMO he needs to prove himself some more before he's ready to be a major D1 head coach)

Jon Gruden (would be a big name hire...would be an expensive hire... I would still feel a bit uneasy of hiring an NFL coach after the Callahan era...)

This post is why some people make fun of us for wanting a change. Gus Malzahn? Have you gone mad? Harbaugh and Gruden are a joke also. Tressel and Frost are viable options. Kirby Smart is interesting.

• Fire 1

In the Deed the Glory - how is suggesting Harbaugh a joke? There are rumors that he might leave the 49ers & he's already a proven big time winner. If he does leave the 49ers, why not try to throw a bunch of cash his way...his results are worth the money. How is that a joke??? I fail to see anything funny there. Enlighten me wise one

In the Deed the Glory - how is suggesting Harbaugh a joke? There are rumors that he might leave the 49ers & he's already a proven big time winner. If he does leave the 49ers, why not try to throw a bunch of cash his way...his results are worth the money. How is that a joke??? I fail to see anything funny there. Enlighten me wise one

Come on, man. If you really believe that Jim Harbaugh would consider Nebraska ever, let alone when his alma mater is about to fire their coach, I am not going to wast my time trying to convince you otherwise.

• Fire 1

Scott Frost won't come here to be an OC. Only a HC. He's got too good of a thing going at Oregon for a horizontal move.

he would come if he knew within 3 years he'd be HC

Why would Tressel come here if he knew within 3 years he wouldn't be HC?

Because Tressel would want to end up going somewhere else like OSU when Meyer leaves or he may just be okay with mentoring someone. I don't know. Maybe it's not only 3 years and we let him stay a while idc.