Insiders, a little help please!

307husker

Well...you could make the argument that the two OCs we've had weren't very good (although good ol' SW has done some good things at Louisville), and that our defense wasn't terrible with Carl as DC (although 2011 was the first year the wheels really started to fall off).

I'm with you, though, might as well just get rid of the entire problem instead of some of it.

you could. but it would not be very compelling. bo retained or hired the two OCs, both successful away from bo. and our defense was not terrible with carl, but since then it has been bad and getting worse. obviously he benefited from fully stocked cupboards.

time to stop blaming the players and coordinators, whom bo is responsible for anyway.

No. I agree with you. The *only* saving grace Bo Pelini has is if we back-door our way into the conference championship game and somehow beat Ohio State. The minute Wisconsin beats Iowa next week is the minute the ink on his pink slip is created.

You can't go 7 years without a conference title at a place like Nebraska. You certainly can't do it looking the way we have in some games.

sh#t, we might ever beat Ohio state......when pigs can fly!

Well...you could make the argument that the two OCs we've had weren't very good (although good ol' SW has done some good things at Louisville), and that our defense wasn't terrible with Carl as DC (although 2011 was the first year the wheels really started to fall off).

I'm with you, though, might as well just get rid of the entire problem instead of some of it.

you could. but it would not be very compelling. bo retained or hired the two OCs, both successful away from bo. and our defense was not terrible with carl, but since then it has been bad and getting worse. obviously he benefited from fully stocked cupboards.

time to stop blaming the players and coordinators, whom bo is responsible for anyway.

No. I agree with you. The *only* saving grace Bo Pelini has is if we back-door our way into the conference championship game and somehow beat Ohio State. The minute Wisconsin beats Iowa next week is the minute the ink on his pink slip is created.

You can't go 7 years without a conference title at a place like Nebraska. You certainly can't do it looking the way we have in some games.

i agree. and you are right, imo. i just see a lot of people blaming the coordinators and i get confused on why bo is not responsible for them. i hear ya, though.

and if bo did somehow win the big 10 this year, i would be as shocked as i was happy. i also would not say anything when he was offered an extension.

but, i would be afraid of what osu would do to us.

i agree. and you are right, imo. i just see a lot of people blaming the coordinators and i get confused on why bo is not responsible for them. i hear ya, though.

and if bo did somehow win the big 10 this year, i would be as shocked as i was happy. i also would not say anything when he was offered an extension.

but, i would be afraid of what osu would do to us.

Me too, and you know how much of a Pelini supporter I have been. I have given him every last shot; just thought the dominos would align in 2013 and 2014, because we had pretty easy schedules and more talent than we have had since 2009 and 2010. What did we get? a 41-21 loss against UCLA after being ahead 21-3. A 34-23 loss to Minnesota in which we were never competitive. A 5 turnover debacle which led to a 41-28 loss to Michigan State with the division title on the line. A 38-17 loss to Iowa which was never. We lost 3 games at home last season after losing 0 the season before.

We have a chance to make a small statement against Miami, which we did. That was good, that was a nice feel good moment for us. Then we get a chance to make a big statement, say that Nebraska's for real this season. Go into East Lansing and beat last year's conference champion and #9 ranked team in the country. We put up nothing through basically 3 quarters before making a gutty comeback, almost snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. That comeback was enough for me to remain in Pelini's corner. Yeah, we sucked for most of that game. But then we showed up; we played, and we showed just how good we could be. We beat our next few opponents. With a playoff shot looming sitting at 8-1, we had a chance to jump into the Top 10 for the first time since 2011 when we were #9 headed into Camp Randall to face #8 Wisconsin. We lost 48-17 then, and we didn't think it could get any worse on our return trip. Well, we outdid ourselves on Saturday. We lost, and we were flat out embarrassed, again.

Bo's had his chances to hire proven guys, and he has stuck with his friends, hoping for the best of two worlds: winning with friends on the staff. Well, it did not work. And it's time for a change. I'm sick of watching our talented team play like an 8th grade JV team.

• Fire 2

How much more time do you think he should be afforded?

What have you seen from Bo to make you think anything will change?

Personally, I don't understand how some posters have not reached the tipping point already. How hard do the facts have to hit a person in the face?

I don't think he needs to be afforded more time. I've seen positive from Bo in that we are better off now than when he got here but I have not seen him do anything yet to get us above the ceiling we are currently at which is being an average to slightly above average team.

I have reached the tipping point. I've said that I believe we need changes at the end of the year. All I've sad is that I want the administration to err on the side of caution and to make sure that when we make the change it will be one that will get us to the next level. I dont want us to pull a Florida and hire someone like Muschamp who looks good but will kill the program. I want someone who is going to do what Saban did for LSU and get us to the next level (keep in mind Saban was not considered to be a "great" hire for LSU).

Let me say this as well - 9-4 and 10-3? That won't get you into your conference championship now a days. This is 2014, not 1984. Stop with the "he won 9 games each year" mess.

I showed that he has won 9 or 10 games a year (with 4 losses) and consider that a ceiling.

The key word I used is "CEILING". That is NOT a good word. It means I believe he has taken us as far as he can. Which means we need to make the changes to get past that point.

I only said that I don't think the loss to Wisconsin was rock bottom because things were WAY worse under BC.

What if Bill Callahan had let Kevin Cosgrove go and hired Pelini (or some other hotshot D coordinator) away from a really good school? What then?

He'd still be here, guaranteed. If his D had played up to it's potential and not been swiss cheese, then he'd probably still have had this job.

Don't forget - Bo's Defensive acumen was only solidified by one guy by the name of Suh - who was a Bill Callahan recruit.

BO's defence has won a national title. just not with Big Red.

How much more time do you think he should be afforded?

What have you seen from Bo to make you think anything will change?

Personally, I don't understand how some posters have not reached the tipping point already. How hard do the facts have to hit a person in the face?

I don't think he needs to be afforded more time. I've seen positive from Bo in that we are better off now than when he got here but I have not seen him do anything yet to get us above the ceiling we are currently at which is being an average to slightly above average team.

I have reached the tipping point. I've said that I believe we need changes at the end of the year. All I've sad is that I want the administration to err on the side of caution and to make sure that when we make the change it will be one that will get us to the next level. I dont want us to pull a Florida and hire someone like Muschamp who looks good but will kill the program. I want someone who is going to do what Saban did for LSU and get us to the next level (keep in mind Saban was not considered to be a "great" hire for LSU).

Let me say this as well - 9-4 and 10-3? That won't get you into your conference championship now a days. This is 2014, not 1984. Stop with the "he won 9 games each year" mess.

I showed that he has won 9 or 10 games a year (with 4 losses) and consider that a ceiling.

The key word I used is "CEILING". That is NOT a good word. It means I believe he has taken us as far as he can. Which means we need to make the changes to get past that point.

I only said that I don't think the loss to Wisconsin was rock bottom because things were WAY worse under BC.

What if Bill Callahan had let Kevin Cosgrove go and hired Pelini (or some other hotshot D coordinator) away from a really good school? What then?

He'd still be here, guaranteed. If his D had played up to it's potential and not been swiss cheese, then he'd probably still have had this job.

Don't forget - Bo's Defensive acumen was only solidified by one guy by the name of Suh - who was a Bill Callahan recruit.

BO's defence has won a national title. just not with Big Red.
Bo's defense at LSU was nothing like this one. Do you remember the national title game? He had his corners playing aggressive press coverage and was blitzing nearly every play. Maybe that had more to do with the Les Miles wanted to play defense, but this conservative bend don't break thing isn't the same at all.

You know, if Callahan would had been willing to ditch his DC for one more competent, he'd still be coaching here, right?

It's the same damn situation again, only we're asking our HC to ditch the OC. If Bo does and gets one that's competent, we're rolling in titles and laughing about all of this.

The defense is worse than the offense. Bo has broken multiple Coz records for futility. The single game rushing record set Saturday may stand for 50 years.

The defense got put on an island because the offense wasn't doing it's job and couldn't sustain a drive to save Beck's multi-dimensional soul. The offense needed to hold up their end of the bargain, and that is what failed. If Nebraska keeps Wisky off the field, then Gordon doesn't have an opportunity to run the ball.

If you'd like to discuss the mental toughness of our defense or the lack of impact our sports psychology folks have had on our kids since the late 90s, then you'd be on to something. But our offense put our defense in a position to fail, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Had the offense been merely competent, we win this game, and Gordon doesn't sniff 250...because Wisky wouldn't have the reps on the offensive side of the ball to do it.

• Fire 1

You know, if Callahan would had been willing to ditch his DC for one more competent, he'd still be coaching here, right?

It's the same damn situation again, only we're asking our HC to ditch the OC. If Bo does and gets one that's competent, we're rolling in titles and laughing about all of this.

The defense is worse than the offense. Bo has broken multiple Coz records for futility. The single game rushing record set Saturday may stand for 50 years.

The defense got put on an island because the offense wasn't doing it's job and couldn't sustain a drive to save Beck's multi-dimensional soul. The offense needed to hold up their end of the bargain, and that is what failed. If Nebraska keeps Wisky off the field, then Gordon doesn't have an opportunity to run the ball.

If you'd like to discuss the mental toughness of our defense or the lack of impact our sports psychology folks have had on our kids since the late 90s, then you'd be on to something. But our offense put our defense in a position to fail, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Had the offense been merely competent, we win this game, and Gordon doesn't sniff 250...because Wisky wouldn't have the reps on the offensive side of the ball to do it.

I completely disagree. We were up 17-3 with momentum. The offense got us out to a nice lead. The defense was not on an island. The defense flunked the test. 600 yards of offense was on Bo's defense. They had just 7 completions. The way they kept gashing our defense running the ball and scoring TDs put all the pressure on our offense. And since they decided to key on Ameer, they enforced more pressure on Tommy to make the plays. With that strategy, they were not disappointed. I'm not trying to nitpick. This was a defensive disaster.

• Fire 1

Headley , I guess not since I'm not allow to want to keep Pelini around.

I'll still be making the trip from baytown to Lincoln wed night. Hope it warms up

You can want to keep Pelini around all you want however I cannot comprehend how a person could possibly support the sh#t show we put on against any team on the big stage. When something of value is on the line we fold and have for all of Bos tenure.

Why do you want Bo? What is your reasoning? Worried we might be worse? I bet We won't win any fewer titles without him

It's easy to say we won't win any less since he hasn't won any. I get that. Hell we should have just kept Callahan. Who would come here and coach?

Baytown, are you Bo's cousin or something?? I get tired of the 2 big lame reasons to keep Bo - 9 wins and 'no one will come here'. There are a lot of good coaches who would love to turn a historic program like NU around and become a national contender again. We have all of the resources and unbelievable fan support. What fans can't support is on going ineptness on the big stage. We cannot accept being good when we know we can be great (maybe not 1990s great - that is perhaps a once in a 2 or 3 generation thing) We just have a deeper challenge in recruiting. However, a dynamic coach can do it (recruit) - actually a not so dynamic personality like TO did it. He had a system, he worked the system and the system worked. It was our identity and every opponent knew our identity but could not stop it - why because we knew who we were. Our current O doesn't know what it is and our D is too often confused.

It could have stood for all time, if Wisconsin had played Gordon for more than 3 quarters. Think about that. If he had played the 4th, he could have had 500 yards.

yea, I wonder how long his record will stand with just the measly 408 yards.

It could have stood for all time, if Wisconsin had played Gordon for more than 3 quarters. Think about that. If he had played the 4th, he could have had 500 yards.

yea, I wonder how long his record will stand with just the measly 408 yards.

Oct 10, 2015.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me liking Bo here. It is what it is. His d-cord got his but whooped. I just feel there are others on the staff doing worse then him but are still around!

I'll take your side on this. I like Bo and I think in some respects he has been a success at Nebraska.

The program is definitely improved from the BC era and I commend him on that. Since Bo did improve the program his first few years I believe that he has the knowledge to improve the program.

My only issue with Bo is that the program has hit a ceiling under him the last few years. In his first 2-3 years he brought us from having a horrible team to a team that was being competitive and led us to 3 conference title games which was definitely a step in the right directions.

In the last 2-3 years we have been stagnant as a team that is good but not good enough to be considered with the top teams/programs.

If Bo can make the changes needed to get over that hump and bust through that ceiling I would like nothing more than having him on the sidelines.

If Bo can't or isn't willing to make the admittedly tough changes then I feel it is our best interest to have long discussions with the power that be about possibly changing directions with the program.

With that said I definitely believe Nebraska can and will be a power again.

This is really the bottom line here. The ceiling. We've been at the ceiling since Suh almost single handedly shut down texas. We still lost the CCG. I don't think Bo can take the next step and the reason is who Bo is. He is not a disciplined coach. He is a stubborn coach. The man is a petty coach that holds onto some pretty ridiculous grudges. Does he know how to coach. I believe he still does. Problem is, his lack of discipline infects the players. That's why we crumble in big games. That's why good teams usually beat us. It becomes an endurance race...who can keep from crumbling first. We usually lose.

It's hard to get rid of a coach that is having moderate success. But I think if it's done right, you can do it without looking like a fool...especially in today's college football world. I mean Auburn fired a guy that was what 1 or 2years removed from winning a National Title! So I don't think people are going to pull an Urban Meyer and second guess Nebraska anymore. Plus Solich was canned after significant improvement. Bo has flatlined and to fire a guy after he allows the NCAA single game rushing record to be broken in 3 quarters is going to be something a lot of potential coaches would understand (especially after giving up 73 in the CCG two years ago and the fan tirade tape released last season)

I wanted Bo to be hired. I wanted him to succeed. Even after the fan thing last season I still supported him. I would have even been okay keeping him had we not been embarrased by Wisconsin (even after MSU)...but to me the writing has been on the wall for years. I don't feel confident that he can take the next step.

good post and well stated

Headley , I guess not since I'm not allow to want to keep Pelini around.

I'll still be making the trip from baytown to Lincoln wed night. Hope it warms up

You can want to keep Pelini around all you want however I cannot comprehend how a person could possibly support the sh#t show we put on against any team on the big stage. When something of value is on the line we fold and have for all of Bos tenure.

Why do you want Bo? What is your reasoning? Worried we might be worse? I bet We won't win any fewer titles without him

It's easy to say we won't win any less since he hasn't won any. I get that. Hell we should have just kept Callahan. Who would come here and coach?

Baytown, are you Bo's cousin or something?? I get tired of the 2 big lame reasons to keep Bo - 9 wins and 'no one will come here'. There are a lot of good coaches who would love to turn a historic program like NU around and become a national contender again. We have all of the resources and unbelievable fan support. What fans can't support is on going ineptness on the big stage. We cannot accept being good when we know we can be great (maybe not 1990s great - that is perhaps a once in a 2 or 3 generation thing) We just have a deeper challenge in recruiting. However, a dynamic coach can do it (recruit) - actually a not so dynamic personality like TO did it. He had a system, he worked the system and the system worked. It was our identity and every opponent knew our identity but could not stop it - why because we knew who we were. Our current O doesn't know what it is and our D is too often confused.

Cousin, hmmm nope.

9 wins more like gonna be 10 maybe 11 this year. As far as no one coming here I get it that good coaches will come here. But you dont want good coaches!! Everyone wants a GREAT coach and there are only a few of those. None of whom would leave where they are to come here any time soon.

Tom O did it when? Yea its been awhile. And if there are alot of these so called coaches where have they been since 99 and why have they not been here leading us to National Championships every year?

sd'sker, you need to stop. You just ran out all my +1's.

being in the much maligned "bo-leaver" group, i have had a lot bottled up. and being told time and again that people like me were trolls and dicks for wanting bo gone last year and that it is impossible to fire a 9-win coach with a +70% win percentage who are now saying bo needs to go, well it's got the blood boiling a little bit.

Some of us just had a lot more tolerance to embarrassment than you did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX5tfRdkoY0