Hire top notch coordinators?

30Rozier

I hear this "solution " bandied about. I wonder how many top flite coordinators would be willing to work for Bo Pelini? I watch a great deal of football and I just don't see head coaches berating their staff in full public view often. In fact, almost never. No matter why or how you try to dismiss Bo's emotional instability, it is a huge problem. And top flite coordinators are not about to throw in with the rage machine.

Not to mention, his image around the country couldn't be worse. Everyone perceives him as a guy on the edge, unlikely to hold his job. No way in hell you are gong to get premium staff to work for this guy.

Not only would "elite" coordinators not want mediocre Bo Pelini for a boss, they'd also want to run their own systems, and we all know Pelini thinks he's the smartest guy in the room so new coordinators would be running the same Pelini crap anyway.

this, their own system and their own position coaches, there would be a lot of staff turn over hiring new coordinators.

I hear this "solution " bandied about. I wonder how many top flite coordinators would be willing to work for Bo Pelini? I watch a great deal of football and I just don't see head coaches berating their staff in full public view often. In fact, almost never. No matter why or how you try to dismiss Bo's emotional instability, it is a huge problem. And top flite coordinators are not about to throw in with the rage machine.

Not to mention, his image around the country couldn't be worse. Everyone perceives him as a guy on the edge, unlikely to hold his job. No way in hell you are gong to get premium staff to work for this guy.

I agree with everything that you said except the bolded and underlined. I have seen Saban and Stoops yell at their coaches when a play went wrong (and I don't watch that much football).

Now? Few and none would work with Bo.

But this should never have been a point of dicussion. It should have happened from day 1, instead of allowing nepotism to Bo's buddies.

I have always wondered when someone would mention the stories about how Bo ran Phil Bennett and Chad Morris out of town when both basically begged to be hired by Nebraska.

True story - after Watson was canned (wasn't announced until after NSD, IIRC), Morris spent a week in Lincoln getting to know all the assisants in hopes it would help him get a job in Lincoln. Bo hired Beck instead. :hmmph

• Fire 5

Now? Few and none would work with Bo.

But this should never have been a point of dicussion. It should have happened from day 1, instead of allowing nepotism to Bo's buddies.

I have always wondered when someone would mention the stories about how Bo ran Phil Bennett and Chad Morris out of town when both basically begged to be hired by Nebraska.

True story - after Watson was canned (wasn't announced until after NSD, IIRC), Morris spent a week in Lincoln getting to know all the assisants in hopes it would help him get a job in Lincoln. Bo hired Beck instead. :hmmph

Isn't Morris having a sh**ty year at Clemson?

Was the Administration going to make him the highest paid OC in the nation and pay him the $1.3M Clemson did in 2011?

Money doesn't fix everything--but it can fix a lot of things. It is also one of the few things in college football that you have direct control over that makes you a better team than another team. Go hire the absolute best coaches available. Million dollars a coordinator? fine. 1.5? fine. It is worth it if you have the best.

Then, get out of their way and let them do their job.

Pardon my optimism , but I think you get a new DC and OC, and let Bo know he's got one year to unfuck this program, or he'll be needing a new gig...

He'd never do it, and those two would never work for Bo.
Bo doesnt want new coordinators, Im not even sure he wants his job if hes forced to hire new guys.

What is the job of a head coach? Well, having been an assistant, here's what it details (to me):

1. A Head coach is face of the franchise.

2. A Head coach must have both a long term and short term vision for the franchise, which is driven by one simple expectation - winning.

3. A Head coach must clearly communicate his vision to his/her subordinates. In turn, the subordinates must clearly communicate that vision to the players.

4. A Head coach organizes the various tasks of his/her team as needed, taking care of the more administrative duties while allowing his/her assistants to coach.

5. A Head coach oversees practices and other training sessions. He/She oversees the entire group of players, as it is his/her responsibility.

6. A Head coach must interact with the media regularly, since he/she is the face of the franchise.

7. A Head coach must graduate players.

8. A Head coach must sit down with potential recruits and families, to encourage those potential recruits to sign with the franchise.

9. A Head coach must abide by all regulatory guidelines as issued by the NCAA.

10. A Head coach must act with the highest level of integrity, as well as the highest level of support for the franchise.

These are just ones I came up with off the top of my head.