Why Not Ron Brown as HC?

At the risk of being roasted for my first post I'm going to have to agree with the OP. Why not RB? I think in today's game the "X's and O's" are for DC and OC. Head coach has got to be a "Big Picture" kind of guy. Brown has been here for the highs and lows of the program. Brown is more in tune with what Husker fans want to see and expect from their football team. Brown has seen how different coaches have succeeded and failed here. There no place like Nebraska and nobody knows Nebraska like Ron Brown. I think if he could bite his tongue enough to not offend the gay community, hire him in at a discount leaving room for top notch OC and DC.... Sky is the limit!

• Fire 1

No way Ron would put the hours in required, he struggles to as an assistant as it is (see lack of recruiting as a prime example). He believes he has a higher calling in life and anyone that hires him has to understand that from the very beginning. He's not going to change.

With that said, he's one of only three assistants I wouldn't have a problem with if retained. Coach Warren for his southern awareness/in-roads and what I've heard from those at practices, Kaz for his (assuming it's used) familiarity with B1G opponents and development for a number of years and coach Brown as he's produced no matter what position he coaches.

All others, here's your pink slip, GTFO immediately. Well wait, Jamrog may be retained as well, on a tight leash or different role.

• Fire 1

At the risk of being roasted for my first post I'm going to have to agree with the OP. Why not RB? I think in today's game the "X's and O's" are for DC and OC. Head coach has got to be a "Big Picture" kind of guy. Brown has been here for the highs and lows of the program. Brown is more in tune with what Husker fans want to see and expect from their football team. Brown has seen how different coaches have succeeded and failed here. There no place like Nebraska and nobody knows Nebraska like Ron Brown. I think if he could bite his tongue enough to not offend the gay community, hire him in at a discount leaving room for top notch OC and DC.... Sky is the limit!

You are 100% wrong about this.

• Fire 1

The problem would be Brown's own well documented intolerance, not that of others.

Why can't some people just accept Ron Brown as he is, instead of setting an arbitrary set of rigid standards to which all must conform? :dunno

It's not a rigid standard to not want someone who uses the University's name when speaking about their own personal beliefs.

It's not a rigid standard to not want someone who uses the University's name when speaking about their own personal beliefs.

Who cares? But someone saying (on behalf of the University of Nebraska) that Brown can't say something using the University's name is an interesting parallel, don't you think?

Brown can say whatever he wants, whenever he wants, however he wants. to whomever he wants, and it doesn't affect me unless I let it. You don't permit Ernie Chambers get under your skin with all of his talk of religion while in the State Legislature, do you?...neither do I!

Live and let live, I always say...water off a duck's back!