The Sock Puppet Rides!

2 hours ago

I'll try. Riley has done yeoman's work in bringing any talent to Corvallis, so he knows how to recruit despite geographic disadvantages. He gets good results despite a talent and resource disadvantage (albeit with a drop-off over the past couple of years). He's widely known to be one of the nicest, most genuine guys in all of college football, which would definitely be a atmosphere change after Bo.

From Reddit. UCLA Fan saying this. I found this very encouraging

Do you think Oregon has more or less geographic disadvantages than Nebraska?
Corvallis has so many more it's laughable.
With the exception of proximity to the ocean, mountains, west coast talent, and playing in a better conference you are correct.
LOL

Ok dude, they get outspent 50-1 by their closest competitor, have facilities that some Texas High schools laugh at, were 1-3 win team at most before him, and he still gets talent comparable to our last coach.

How about you let the man at least have a press conference before you jettison the guy.

So, money spent and facilities. How about the weather? Proximity to talent?

The last i checked, Riley's recruiting consisted of mostly 2* and low 3* recruits, which isn't as good as our previous staff.

The bright side is at least that level of recruiting can keep us competitive in our current division.

So if he can beat top 10 teams with 2* and 3* talent imagine what he can do with better talent, facilities, and resources

• Fire 1

2 hours ago

I'll try. Riley has done yeoman's work in bringing any talent to Corvallis, so he knows how to recruit despite geographic disadvantages. He gets good results despite a talent and resource disadvantage (albeit with a drop-off over the past couple of years). He's widely known to be one of the nicest, most genuine guys in all of college football, which would definitely be a atmosphere change after Bo.

With the exception of proximity to the ocean, mountains, west coast talent, and playing in a better conference you are correct.
LOL

Ok dude, they get outspent 50-1 by their closest competitor, have facilities that some Texas High schools laugh at, were 1-3 win team at most before him, and he still gets talent comparable to our last coach.

How about you let the man at least have a press conference before you jettison the guy.

The last i checked, Riley's recruiting consisted of mostly 2* and low 3* recruits, which isn't as good as our previous staff.

The bright side is at least that level of recruiting can keep us competitive in our current division.

So if he can beat top 10 teams with 2* and 3* talent imagine what he can do with better talent, facilities, and resources
Hopefully not lose to multiple FCS schools.

But i thought that this was about playing championship football, not about becoming Iowa State.

Edit: i tell you what, since he is so great. With the upgrade in talent, facilities, and a favorably weak schedule next year, anything less than an undefeated season and a trip to the playoffs next year should mean that he should be looking for a job.

Edited by 74Hunter

I think Riley is a great man from what it sounds. And I was thinking about this whole thing I thought about an analogy, or simile, which ever one it is.

Our team is on our end of the field with two minutes left. Eichorst has just thrown a hail mary to a senior wide receiver who hasn't score alot of touchdowns but has potential (Riley). He could break a tackle and go all the way, or get tackled at the 30.

Eichorst could have handed it off to the proven running back and moved down the field assuredly (Tressel) but instead given the ball to the veteran that has put in his time, hoping to make a big play.

Gutsy.

I think Riley is a great man from what it sounds. And I was thinking about this whole thing I thought about an analogy, or simile, which ever one it is.

Our team is on our end of the field with two minutes left. Eichorst has just thrown a hail mary to a senior wide receiver who hasn't score alot of touchdowns but has potential (Riley). He could break a tackle and go all the way, or get tackled at the 30.

Eichorst could have handed it off to the proven running back and moved down the field assuredly (Tressel) but instead given the ball to the veteran that has put in his time, hoping to make a big play.

Gutsy.

I'll agree it's gutsy, but your analogy is not remotely accurate.

• Fire 1

Gutsy.

Is the receiver actually Mike Nobler?

And in defense of Sock.........

.....absolutely NOBODY had so much as a WHISPER of Mike Riley before this morning.

We might have to consider the possibility that Eichorst was a cool assassin after all.

That's a fair point.

My initial disappointment was more about the fact that it wasnt Tressel than anything else. Mike Riley has always been known for being a class act and as genuine a nice guy as they come, but I had always also assumed that he was a mediocre game coach. Just from a little afternoon research, I'm blown away by how limited those Corvalis resources really are--had NO idea.

Then, when you take a look at Nick Saban's largely mediocre record at Michigan State before he ended up in Alabama... there are some interesting parallels with a good coach moving up to better resources. Big splash hire? No. But if Orgeron (sp?) comes aboard, as has been mentioned, and the right coordinators are hired? Hmm.

Sock, you are forgiven. Even so, it may be quite awhile before I can bring myself to place trust in comfortable, sensible footwear again.

• Fire 1

Didn't recruiting analysts gush over Bill Callahan's hiring, too?

As much as it pains me to say, they were right. Callahan's recruiting was stellar.

They sure did... remember Marlon Lucky 5 star dud, what a great recruiter was BC! This hire is more disappointing than not winning a conference crown for 15 years!

2 hours ago

LOL

Hopefully not lose to multiple FCS schools.

But i thought that this was about playing championship football, not about becoming Iowa State.

Edit: i tell you what, since he is so great. With the upgrade in talent, facilities, and a favorably weak schedule next year, anything less than an undefeated season and a trip to the playoffs next year should mean that he should be looking for a job.

I'd love to place an over/under on how many more years under Pelini would've turned us into Iowa State, but thankfully, we'll never know how that bet would've played out.

TSP missed the mark on who would be our coach. To be fair, no one else in the country, aside from Sean Eichhorst and maybe a few of his staff, knew what was going on. While TSP missed the coach, he did make one valid point over and over....The Ginger Assassin surely lived up to his nickname. I hope that sticks with him for eternity...what a cool name. And, based on how he handled this whole thing, I'm willing to give the Ginger Assassin full support on this pick. (like I have any choice...heh heh). But I do believe he may have some crazy smarts behind this. I also believe this was a well planned and thought out process.

Thank you the.sock.puppet and all hail to The Ginger Assassin!

• Fire 1