Rumor/Speculation: Why not Art Briles?

• 2 years later...

I had respected Sam Ponder prior to the Gameday segment with Briles, I think she is an intelligent reporter and not just a pretty face, but after she said the following, I doubled down on my respect for her.

“What I’d always liked about Art Briles before is he seemed like a straight shooter, in all my time with him. I respected that. But in this interview, I didn’t think he was a straight shooter,” she said. “He did not say what he was sorry for. How can you accept an apology from someone if they don’t say what they did?

“There’s a huge difference between saying, ‘I was in charge and I didn’t know what happened and didn’t do anything, because I didn’t know what happened,’ and ‘I was in charge, I was told, I knew about the accusations and didn’t do anything.’ I don’t know which it is yet, and he hasn’t owned up specifically. I don’t know how you hire a guy or accept the apology of a guy who hasn’t told you why he’s apologizing.”

While Herbstreit gave Briles the benefit of the doubt, she said it like it is and while unfortunately was right, she had a good read and didn't take a politically correct stance like some did and others would as well.

• Fire 4