3 and 10, 2 and 11, 3 and 10, 4 and 9.....would you still be Red?

Even old fools like me have come to the realization that change needs to happen, despite the 9 win seasons. We believe that Nebraska Football deserves better. We strongly believe that. We've come to let that belief lead us to the belief that a new coach will get us "back in the hunt" for championships. There is a very good chance that might happen.

What we seem to neglect, or ignore, is that things could also go south. Way south. And not for one or two years, but for 5 - 10 years and beyond.

I'd have started a poll, but I'm neither that patient nor clever.

If we change coaches, make a splash hire, get "top" coordinators, and just tank, how many fans will walk away?

What if we go 3/10, 2 / 11, 1/12, 4/9, 4/9, 5 / 8, 3 / 10? Which of you would still put out the flag, throw on the red shirt and be fanatical Husker football fans?

Even old fools like me have come to the realization that change needs to happen, despite the 9 win seasons. We believe that Nebraska Football deserves better. We strongly believe that. We've come to let that belief lead us to the belief that a new coach will get us "back in the hunt" for championships. There is a very good chance that might happen.

What we seem to neglect, or ignore, is that things could also go south. Way south. And not for one or two years, but for 5 - 10 years and beyond.

If we change coaches, make a splash hire, get "top" coordinators, and just tank, how many fans will walk away?

What if we go 3/10, 2 / 11, 1/12, 4/9, 4/9, 5 / 8, 3 / 10? Which of you would still put out the flag, throw on the red shirt and be fanatical Husker football fans?

Looking at our schedule there is literally no way we finish below .500. However in your scenario it would have to depend on if we were still striving for excellence and not settling. When NU decides to start settling for mediocrity is the day I will stop caring. No one cheers for average

Looking at our schedule there is literally no way we finish below .500. However in your scenario it would have to depend on if we were still striving for excellence and not settling. When NU decides to start settling for mediocrity is the day I will stop caring. No one cheers for average

I would venture to say that few coaches can produce a worse product at Nebraska than this one we have.

• Fire 2

It hasn't happened since I started being a fan, 1970ish, and I don't foresee it possibly happening before I die, so I don't feel it is a realistic question. That is one of the reason some of us are throwing a hissy fit now so that it doesn't come to that. There would have to be some serious neglect for Nebraska to back slide to 2 or 3 win seasons. That type of neglect only comes if people don't care about it or if they start accepting mediocrity, which is just an early warning sign of apathy.

• Fire 1

I would certainly change my behavior. I'd DVR games and watch them later, if I felt like it. I wouldn't make "game day" a big thing with food and friends. After starting 1-4 I'd probably stop worrying about when the next game is on to make plans for it. There would be some "how'd we do yesterday?" throughout the season. Its not like I will ever pick another team, I'll just care less about college football in general. (I say all this assuming you mean settling for a 4-10 coaching staff permanantly, and just accepting it. Having a few seasons like that while searching for a new coach is different)

The great thing about being a Husker fan is believing in the team, and knowing that with our history there IS a chance every year to win them all. If we find out Bo is retained, I will have the same heartbroken feeling I get with our first loss of the year. I would rather have multiple 4-10 seasons searching for the proper staff to find something that works than have the 9 win purgatory any longer.

I would venture to say that few coaches can produce a worse product at Nebraska than this one we have.

The Huskers have had success for a long, long time. But take a look at the mid - late 50s....The Bill Jenning's years. We finished toward the bottom of the conference for 6 straight years, counting the one year Pete Elliot had before him. When I first started listening to the Huskers on the radio with my grandpa, Devaney had them turned around, but the measuring stick...or the "whew, we did it again" bar for success was still a winning season. Even the Bob Father went 6 - 4 a couple of years back to back.

So while it is unlikely we fall there again, it CAN happen.

I'll still be a koolaid drinking "next year is our year" hardcore fan till the day the folks in the home have to force feed me mush.

1. I don't think it's possible for any half-competent coach at NU to lose more than 6 games with the way our schedules go, at least for the forseeable future.

2. A coach that produced 2-, 3-, or 4-win seasons would last about two years here, at most. As long as the administration didn't stick with the guy for 7 or 8 years, I think fans would be patient and chalk it up to a bad hire.

3. I'm not even much of a flag-waving, red-shirt-wearing fan with 8 wins this season- which is a lot "better" than 2, 3, or 4 wins. What's the point? We have coaches and players that hate the fans, and can't win any type of championship. I'd feel different if they were in any way overachieving, but they seem to be constantly underachieving and simultaneously blaming everybody else- the perfect recipe to earn my ire.

As of right now, I'm still contemplating on whether to work on Friday or watch the game. If I choose to watch the game it will be more about my being lazy and less about caring about the game's outcome.

Abso-GD-lutely. I never went to school there, (only lived in the state for a year when I DID live there), but raised a Husker fan in good times and bad times. I (barely) remember the 1970-71 era, saw the 'went for two' game, still grind my teeth about the 1993 Championship game, watched the Mizzou game alongside a Mizzou fan when the 'immaculate reception' happened and recall fondly ALL the years and games. Yeah, I'd still cheer and root. It is what it is boys. GBR!

Really I remember a 5-7 record in 2004 and another one in 2007. We definitely had enough talent to win at least 7 games both of those seasons. It can be done.

It am ready for a change, but there are no garruntees that the next coach will take us to the promise land.

That's a ridiculous hypothetical that would never be reality.

What would happen if the sun exploded!? Would you still be a nebraska fan then!? Would you still cheer for the Huskers if a bear ripped your throat out of your body!? which of you will still be a fan when they change the rules and start playing naked?!

then we'll see who the real fans are.

That's a ridiculous hypothetical that would never be reality.

What would happen if the sun exploded!? Would you still be a nebraska fan then!? Would you still cheer for the Huskers if a bear ripped your throat out of your body!? which of you will still be a fan when they change the rules and start playing naked?!

then we'll see who the real fans are.

This is the correct analysis. As stated before in threads, there is a difference between possibility and probability....the fan base should focus on reasonable probability

Why is the question with some Husker fans that, "if you don't stay with Bo you could get this guy":

Sloth.jpg

Yeah right. Even the goonies dude could field a team and get us bowl eligible with our traditionally soft non-conf schedule. Just mix in the 2 lightweight conference foes we typically face (Illinois/Purdue/Iowa State/CU/KU/Baylor/Rutgers/etc) and all that's left is winning 3 out of 6 competitive games left to play. It's not that difficult winning at least 8 games out of 12-13.