We NEED a Quarterback Coach

Bowfin

Tommie Armstrong is tough as nails and a great competitor, but he lacks basic skills needed to be a better than average quarterback. Most of the clutch catches came from great efforts by his receivers. Armstrong is also consistently not seeing wide open receivers while forcing throws or else he loses his place on progressions and holds on to the ball too long...

...but all of you know this already.

Armstrong has not made any visible improvements in these areas throughout the season. Then again, Taylor Martinez made some improvement in his passing game ONLY AFTER he worked out on his own during the summer.

So we need someone who can coach a quarterback. If not a new person and/or a new coach, then find a coach who can or will work with him or his replacement if he can't improve.

We need to play more tight ends period

We had a gentleman's agreement with Iowa that we wouldn't resort to such underhanded tactics such as throwing the ball to a tight end. Ferentz promptly went back on his word, while Tim Beck took the high road... for this entire season...

Beck also apologized after the game for Cethan Carter's catch.

What we really need is an individual who is hired to take complete control of the offense. Someone who coaches all the positions as a whole to perform to the best of their abilities under a week-by-week scheme tailored to a system that we recruit specifically for.

If only we could have one of those people, we'd win a lot of games. Probably at least 9.

Look at that grip on the ball, that's as fundamentally sound as I would expect a high quality QB coach to teach his pupils. And, do I think I see some of Taylor Martinez's throwing style when Tommy goes into his long pass mechanics. Shoulders pointed way upward, feet a bit askew, maybe this is what Beck teaches.

To add, Frost is listed as the OC/QB coach at Oregon........

Something similar to that would be okay as well. I could see not wanting to add another salaried position, but Armstrong with improved passing skills would be a daunting player to face.

We said the same thing about TM, yet for whatever reason, him or coaching, it never really materialized, at least consistently.