Hello, Mike Riley

knapplc

16 minutes ago, unlfan said:

So we should celebrate the fact that Riley has avoided NCAA sanctions?

Wow, the bar just keeps on getting lower and lower.

You know that's not what I said, and you avoided the other two things I did say. The fact you're now making up reasons to dislike/hate Riley is ridiculous, especially considering how many real reasons there are to critique his performance. Riley isn't a good HC at Nebraska, but he's not the devil, no matter how much you want to paint him that way. I don't understand your need to take a pound of flesh from the guy on his way out. Show some class.

4 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

After all, when you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.

I understand the criticisms part.  I'll never understand the pound of flesh crowd.  Will there be people in Lincoln throwing rotten fruit at Riley as he leaves town?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you didn't like Bo

5 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

After all, when you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.

I understand the criticisms part.  I'll never understand the pound of flesh crowd.  Will there be people in Lincoln throwing rotten fruit at Riley as he leaves town?

I think that's harsh. We should take him out for ice cream and give him a participation award, plus the millions he'll be getting still from UNL.

• Plus1 2

So someone not being very good at their job equals toxic and being despicable?

I personally would equate what happened under Art Briles as despicable & toxic or what happened under Joe Paterno as despicable & toxic.

A man representing a University with class while barely winning more games than he losses doesn’t make that guy despicable & toxic.  It just makes him a bad Head Coach.

Edited by Pedro Guerrero
  • Plus1 6

1 minute ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

So someone not being very good at the job equals toxic and being despicable?

I personally would equate what happens under Art Briles as despicable & toxic or what happened under Joe Paterno as despicable & toxic.

A man representing a University with class while barely winning more games than he losses doesn’t make that guy despicable & toxic.  It just makes him a bad Head Coach.

I just don't get it.  

Sports are a form of entertainment.  So, I would think people view and have opinions about sports in whatever manner they find fun.  Knowing that, these people must find enjoyment and fun in unnecessarily tearing apart someone.  He's turned out to not be a good fit or good coach for Nebraska.  That doesn't mean he's somehow personally emotionally flawed to the point of deserving terms that should be reserved for people who actually cause physical or emotional harm to others.

Now, if you ARE being physically or emotionally harmed by how Riley represents or coaches the team, then...you need to take a really hard look at yourself.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, unlfan said:

I'm sorry. I just can't show any respect to a man the took millions from this state knowing full well he doesn't have the ability nor wherewithal to run a decent football program.

Just so I'm understanding what you are shoveling.  Riley knows he is a bad coach and under no circumstance thought winning at Nebraska would be easier than the situation he was in so the only reason he took the job was to get $2,700,000 a year for 5 years from the University?  So the whole driving force was cash and not trying to win at a better program?

He's contract at Oregon State ran through 2021 if he was so concerned with money and not trying to win football games he could have just rode it out in Corvallis.

Edited by Pedro Guerrero
  • Plus1 3
2 hours ago, unlfan said:

I'm sorry. I just can't show any respect to a man the took millions from this state knowing full well he doesn't have the ability nor wherewithal to run a decent football program. He recklessly established his toxic culture, hampering the college careers of dozens of young men, and the players are left holding the bag while he will run off with millions.

I show no respect to that sort of behavior.

What a load of trumped up BS.

There are times in life when emotions can cloud our judgement on what reality is.  Then, if unchecked, we start believing the worst things possible even though they are completely illogical.  It's actually a fairly common occurrence in relationships, politics and sports.

I think it's best if some fans take some time, step back and try to reevaluate their views of the situation.

Edited by BigRedBuster