Mike Riley's Staff

Who the hell is this FriendsForever cat? And what is with the obsession with literally the worst photoshop pictures I've ever seen?

What, what are you talking about. those pictures are real I was there. You ever see bo pelini help any of the players cut his food up into small bits or go get some frozen custard together? This shows that Riley is a good man and a breath of fresh air for both the program and the players.

Stop. Those hurt my eyes and are irrelevant.

I wish our "resources" would allow or "encourage" the hiring of proven, great assistant coaches. I will always give guys a chance to prove it, but at first glance, the numbers that follow these guys to Lincoln are not mind-blowing.

I am tired of hearing about how guys don't have resources, so it is an excuse. There are tons of guys working with lesser resources than Nebraska (and Oregon State), that have produced results.

Go get someone with RESULTS please !

This is perfect, well said. I don't mind a few hires like this, but so far the entire staff is mostly old OSU guys without a great track record, particularly on defense.

Resources can only do so much. This guy from Cincinnati hasn't been hired, but he exemplifies the type of coaches we're looking at... unimpressive.

He's been at Cincinnati 1 year.

He was the D-line Coach at Memphis in 2000 when they had the #1 run defense in the country. He was also the DC at UCONN from 2006 to 2012. They finished in the top 10 of Total Defense 3 times, top 10 in rush defense all but one season. His 2012 defense was 7th in rush defense, 9th in total defense, and 19th in scoring defense.

This. Looking at his coaching resume and what he did at UCONN looks a hell of a lot more like what I want to see coaching our defense than what we have been seeing around here recently.

I agree, I am pretty excited about this hire. Co-DC and DL coach makes a lot of sense. I am assuming Baker will call plays if this guy has the DL.

I wish our "resources" would allow or "encourage" the hiring of proven, great assistant coaches. I will always give guys a chance to prove it, but at first glance, the numbers that follow these guys to Lincoln are not mind-blowing.

I am tired of hearing about how guys don't have resources, so it is an excuse. There are tons of guys working with lesser resources than Nebraska (and Oregon State), that have produced results.

This is perfect, well said. I don't mind a few hires like this, but so far the entire staff is mostly old OSU guys without a great track record, particularly on defense.

Resources can only do so much. This guy from Cincinnati hasn't been hired, but he exemplifies the type of coaches we're looking at... unimpressive.

He's been at Cincinnati 1 year.

He was the D-line Coach at Memphis in 2000 when they had the #1 run defense in the country. He was also the DC at UCONN from 2006 to 2012. They finished in the top 10 of Total Defense 3 times, top 10 in rush defense all but one season. His 2012 defense was 7th in rush defense, 9th in total defense, and 19th in scoring defense.

This. Looking at his coaching resume and what he did at UCONN looks a hell of a lot more like what I want to see coaching our defense than what we have been seeing around here recently.

I agree, I am pretty excited about this hire. Co-DC and DL coach makes a lot of sense. I am assuming Baker will call plays if this guy has the DL.

I would think the same. It seems like mike is doing exactly what he said he was going to do. Bring in guys he trusts and also guys who have experience and who are experts in specific areas and can teach. So far all I've seen is guys that he believes fit this mold. Seems like this is a very cohesive staff he is putting together.

Can we list all the inked coaches/position and all the alleged coaches/position as of now so we can get an idea of the staff. What positions are missing now? I thought we only had a couple more assist. Spots open so would we need a co-DC or does that mean the would also be a position coach, i.e., Line/DE?

Same here if it plays out that way. I think our DL has some real untapped potential just ready to get after it. Hoping the new coaches with a new strategy brings out the beast mode in this group. I'm sure Bray will get the Linebackers in shape as well.

OC/QB - Danny Langsdorf

OL - Mike Cavanaugh

RB - ?

WR - ?

DC - Mark Banker

DL - ?

LB - Trent Bray

DB - Charlton Warren

ST - Bruce Read

Cavanaugh, Banker, Bray and Read are official although their exact titles haven't been announced. Warren has been confirmed through recruits and Langsdorf is from today. The other name that seems to be the hot rumor at the moment is Hank Hughes as a defensive coach and possible Co-DC but that's speculation at this point.

I would like to see some people submit a list of "proven and impressive" assistant coaches that Riley could have hired that would be willing to come to Nebraska.

Was this a "serious" inquiry or sarcastic? Just asking….

According to a majority of HB, Nebraska is still a 'Top Notch' job. This has been up for discussion for years. Only the people 'inside" the State or strong ties or love for the program are convinced that Nebraska is an upper echelon destination. The rest of the country , including almost every national media outlet, says Nebraska has dropped and was a distant 3rd when they compared Florida, Michigan, and Nebraska as coaching destinations.

So, if you are being serious ( you think that there is a long list ), then you must agree that MR is passing some great guys up……. if you are being sarcastic, then you obviously are admitting that this ISN'T your old Nebraska anymore.

Not trying to start a riff, just honestly trying to get your stance… or opinion.

It was a sarcastic reply to some posters (not saying its you) after every hire (except Bray) moaning about that coach being a buddy hire, not having a good history, not being Frost/Orgeron/etc. I just want to know what would make these people happy and who do they think they Riley should have hired. If you are going to bitch about it, then give a realistic solution.

As far as Nebraska in the grand scheme of CFB, I would put it in the 10-20 range as far as a destination. Yes, there was a time when it would have been probably top 7ish, but not now. The landscape has changed too much over the past 20 years (scholarship limits including more local kids going to lower divisions, facility arms race, S&C being fairly level, speeding up of the recruiting calendar, etc). Why would a position coach from Georgia want to make a lateral move the Nebraska? He is coaching in the best conference in the country and has much more talent closely available for recruiting.

As far as my stance, I am happy with Riley and who he has brought in both coaching and support staff wise. Now he has to prove on the field over the next few years that he can get Nebraska back to where we all want it to be.

• Fire 1

I just saw these posts and posted nearly the same thing in the Langsdorf thread. I have been skeptical of this hire from the start. I opened up to the idea of Mike Riley if we really brought in some proven assistants. Unfortunately, the exact opposite has happened.

Mike Riley's leash is already shorter than it should be just due to the nature of his hire meaning he wasnt a big name coach and doesnt have a proven record to afford him the benefit of the doubt if there are early troubles. Some of that could have been remedied by bringing in people that have a clear track record of success. So far nothing of the sort has happened and IMO the leash has been shortened even further and Mike has backed himself into a corner before he has even coached 1 snap.

I'm sure many Huskerboard posters know much much more than Coach Riley does about which assistants will coach his system than Coach Riley does himself.

We should trust Huskerboard before we trust Coach Riley...WE KNOW RILEY'S SYSTEM BETTER THAN HE DOES AFTERALL. :sarcasm

The man hasn't even coached a down here at Nebraska and people are already selling stock. Go take your meds people.

He hasn't coached a down at Nebraska but has coached thousands of downs elsewhere. I think it's fair to evaluate a guy based on his recruiting and winning ability over a 14 year time span. And before his location is brought up, I don't want to hear excuses. I wouldn't be excited, like everybody else, if we transplanted the staff from NC State or Boston College. Both have decent coaches and would do better with 'resources'. But would you be excited about hiring them?

He'll win games here, by virtue of our division. But can he get Nebraska over the hump? Can he bring in top 15 recruiting classes? I have my doubts.

I'm sure many Huskerboard posters know much much more than Coach Riley does about which assistants will coach his system than Coach Riley does himself.

We should trust Huskerboard before we trust Coach Riley...WE KNOW RILEY'S SYSTEM BETTER THAN HE DOES AFTERALL. :sarcasm

The man hasn't even coached a down here at Nebraska and people are already selling stock. Go take your meds people.

He hasn't coached a down at Nebraska but has coached thousands of downs elsewhere. I think it's fair to evaluate a guy based on his recruiting and winning ability over a 14 year time span. And before his location is brought up, I don't want to hear excuses. I wouldn't be excited, like everybody else, if we transplanted the staff from NC State or Boston College. Both have decent coaches and would do better with 'resources'. But would you be excited about hiring them?

He'll win games here, by virtue of our division. But can he get Nebraska over the hump? Can he bring in top 15 recruiting classes? I have my doubts.

I think if he was at a program that was equal in revenue and facilities/recruiting as Nebraska you'd have a point. Until then you're talking out of your arse, making excuses, and trying to make some kind of point that has no relevance...why? No idea...Because I have tons of data of coaches who haven't been good at some colleges and they get to a major football college and become great (Saban for one...there are plenty of others..take your pick).

Save your doubts and wait until you see what kind of team he can put together. Give the man a chance...hell people gave Pelini more of a chance than they want to give Riley and I find that atrocious.

That's why I pointed out the othe programs in my post. All of those staffs aren't equal footing to Nebraska, are hard to recruit too and have moderate success (like Riley). But which staffs around the country DOESN'T, ourside of the big boys, the resources arguement apply too?

For every Nick Saban there are 15 coaching hires that don't hack it. It's incredibly rare to find an Urban Meyer or Saban. You're far more likely to find a Pelini, Hoke or Muschamp.

Im bringing this up because Nebraska fans tend to wear rose glasses permanently. It's been 15 years since our last conference title. We should probably take a step back and ask ourselves what really needs to be done in order to be successful.

In my opinion, it needed to be a coach with a better history than Riley or at minimum some assistants. So yeah, ill give him a chance, but do I expect him to get us over the hump and magically compete with Ohio State, MSU or Michigan in a few years? No.

I think if he was at a program that was equal in revenue and facilities/recruiting as Nebraska you'd have a point. Until then you're talking out of your arse, making excuses, and trying to make some kind of point that has no relevance...why? No idea...Because I have tons of data of coaches who haven't been good at some colleges and they get to a major football college and become great (Saban for one...there are plenty of others..take your pick).

Save your doubts and wait until you see what kind of team he can put together. Give the man a chance...hell people gave Pelini more of a chance than they want to give Riley and I find that atrocious.

That's why I pointed out the othe programs in my post. All of those staffs aren't equal footing to Nebraska, are hard to recruit too and have moderate success (like Riley). But which staffs around the country DOESN'T, ourside of the big boys, the resources arguement apply too?

For every Nick Saban there are 15 coaching hires that don't hack it. It's incredibly rare to find an Urban Meyer or Saban. You're far more likely to find a Pelini, Hoke or Muschamp.

Im bringing this up because Nebraska fans tend to wear rose glasses permanently. It's been 15 years since our last conference title. We should probably take a step back and ask ourselves what really needs to be done in order to be successful.

In my opinion, it needed to be a coach with a better history than Riley or at minimum some assistants. So yeah, ill give him a chance, but do I expect him to get us over the hump and magically compete with Ohio State, MSU or Michigan in a few years? No.

psst. He's already hired. All this whining is futile.