Formula for Determining Last Two Teams to Make Playoffs

Bama and Oregon are locks. Ohio State, FSU, TCU, and Baylor are fighting for the last two spots. I have come up with a points system: 5, 4, 3, 2, or 1 points for each category. Highest score gets the nod.

TCU 3.5 Toughness of conference (TC);

1.5 Toughness of nonconference schedule (NonCon); (Includes how tough opponents were AND how tough they appeared before season started)

3.5 Caliber of loss suffered (Loss) (i.e. Caliber of opponent and caliber of circumstances of loss);

2.5 Margin of victory for road conference games (Margin);

3.9 Ugly victories (UG); (More points awarded if fewer ugly victories)

3.2 Points given up in conference (ConDef); (Teams with stronger defenses are rewarded)

2.8 Points scored in conference (Most points allowed for this category is 3 points)

1.6 Momentum in last four games of season (MO) (Hot teams rewarded over stumbling teams) (Most points allowed in this category is 2 points)

3.0 Walkover Opponents (WO) (Percentage of schedule that consisted of virtually automatic wins. Higher points for fewer walkovers).

0 Head-to-head victory over other possible playoff teams (Highest points are 2 points. Location of game and closeness of score factor into mix)

Total 25.5

Baylor

3.5 Tough Conf.

1.1 NonCon

3.3 Loss

2.4 Margin Victory in Conf

3.4 Ugly

2.9 ConDef

2.6 Points Scored Conf.

1.6 Momentum in Last 4

2.7 Walkover

1.0 Head-to-head

Total 23.5 (Note: the head-to-head points only count against TCU. They don't get them against OSU and FSU. As against TCU, Baylor gets the bonus 1.0, giving them 24.5 versus TCU)

FSU 2.8 Tough Conf.

2.8 NonCon

4.0 No losses (However, since victories were many high wire type, not a perfect 5)

2.0 Margin Vict. in Conf.

3.1 Ugly

2.9 Conf. Defense

2.4 Points Scored Conf

1.6 Momentum in last 4

2.9 Walkover

0 Head-to-head

Total 24.5

Ohio S. 2.6 Tough Conf.

1.5 NonCon

2.3 Loss

2. 3 Margin Vict. in Conf.

3.6 Ugly

3.1 Conf. Defense

2.7 Points Scored Conf

1.4 Momentum in last 4

1.9 Walkover

0 Head-to-head

Total 21.5

Based on this model, TCU and FSU will be invited to the playoffs. As such, Alabama v. FSU in game #1; Oregon v. TCU in game #2. When I looked at tOSU's schedule closely, a huge part of it was filled with automatic wins. What they did wasn't nearly as impressive as it seemed when not closely scrutinized. tOSU was #6, not even coming close to #5.

Or, we could go with how it is going to really happen.

The committee will pick them today. No ridiculous formula required.

I like stuff like this. Of course we are going to "go with" what the committee says today, in the meantime what are message boards for? Why are you on here if not to read other people's opinions?
  • Fire 1

When I sat down and made my goofy formula, I lined up the schedules of FSU, tOSU, TCU, and Baylor. When you scrutinize their schedules side-by-side, you suddenly see that there is some difference between their schedules. tOSU had the weakest schedule, by far.

Only difference is they won their conference.

Or, we could go with how it is going to really happen.

The committee will pick them today. No ridiculous formula required.

I like stuff like this. Of course we are going to "go with" what the committee says today, in the meantime what are message boards for? Why are you on here if not to read other people's opinions?

I'm here to see the people flipping out over hypothetical assistant coach hires that haven't, and likely won't, take place. Sorry but I've had my fill for the week of hypothetical sh#t. Maybe this would've stimulated discussion a week or two ago but, it was posted mere hours before the committee's announcement. My smart ass point was, somebody went to a whole lotta work for nothing. Feel free to ignore me, I understand this is why some come to the board. I've just had my fill of wild conjecture.