OWH: High school coaches hoping in-state offers will increase with Mike Riley

zoogs

OWH: High school coaches hoping in-state offers will increase with Mike Riley

As high school coaches, its been so-so on how we think Coach Pelini and the rest of the staff recruited the Nebraska kids, Lincoln Southwest coach Mark King said. We felt, on occasion, sometimes we were the second choices, kind of the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. I hope that gets back and changes.

Wow. Kind of a tough crowd.

I think it's important for Nebraska to go out and recruit nationally. But maintaining good relations with the local high schools is important, too.

Then those guys would take offers elsewhere and be badmouthed for not caring about or willing to work hard for NU.

Oh, wow, that sounds like a problem. I mean, strategy wise it probably makes sense to save efforts for later for guys that aren't being as intensely recruited (vs the player in SEC or Pac 12 country, for example). A lot of this seems to come down to the personal relationships that the staff's able to cultivate.

And yeah, definitely for the best if we can just raise the level here in Nebraska. I think of it sort of like USA soccer. No substitute for a much stronger pool of homegrown players. Maybe the Huskers staff can contribute and have a hand in that.

I think we gotta get back to instilling a prideful " i wanna play for Nebraska" mentality within our youth. Though circumstances at the time prevented in this particular case, guys like Ott and Calvin Strong must be offered. We did get Bando and Sterrup but there should be zero guys getting out of this state

Probably won't qualify academically, is heavily involved in gangs, stole a teacher's car last spring. There is a reason his only offer is USD.

• Fire 1

Nebraska HS football has a long way to go before it can start complaining about this. Until teams like USC and Alabama are recruiting Nebraska players yearly I see no problems in the amount of hometown guys that get offered currently.

This just doesn't make sense. Why would USC and Alabama regularly recruit here when they have all that talent in their backyard that they won't have to compete with Nebraska for? However, FWIW Strong had USC, UCLA, and Oregon interested until they looked into him more. The talent is there, maybe not 5*, but 3* from Nebraska is better than 3* from California because they understand the tradition and will play their ass off for NU.

• Fire 1

Nebraska HS football has a long way to go before it can start complaining about this. Until teams like USC and Alabama are recruiting Nebraska players yearly I see no problems in the amount of hometown guys that get offered currently.

This just doesn't make sense. Why would USC and Alabama regularly recruit here when they have all that talent in their backyard that they won't have to compete with Nebraska for? However, FWIW Strong had USC, UCLA, and Oregon interested until they looked into him more. The talent is there, maybe not 5*, but 3* from Nebraska is better than 3* from California because they understand the tradition and will play their ass off for NU.

If the player is good enough, other schools will recruit them. The reason you don't see schools like USC, Bama and such recruiting Nebraska kids is because they don't think they are very good. The football that is played at the HS level in Nebraska is not very good and the players aren't as developed as a majority of kids from other states where football is a very big thing. That is why we recruit the way we do and should continue to do so if we want to stay competitive.

Hope they don't.......we hear these homer stories every time, as if the championship teams were made up of mostly locals and walkons. Better recruit the populated areas instead and quit all this nostalgia and wishful thinking.

There are Nebraska kids playing football for better and higher ranked teams than the Huskers. Stanford has a good one right now. Kansas St. doesn't mind poaching our best players.

The best players in this state should be playing for Nebraska.

We aren't talking about all out devotion to recruiting this state. It's our own back yard! It's easy to know where the best players are and to evaluate them. Quit bitching about access to a private plane and just get in a car, drive an hour, and check out a game.

Secondly, why do we act like we are recruiting ready to play all stars? The college game is where these kids are developed. Were we not able to evaluate the basic strengths of a player such as footwork and upper body strength? Hand strength? Or maybe, just maybe we knew player development wasn't a strong suit.

I don't know. I'm glad the circus tents are gone and the show has left town.

Everything we've heard about Riley says he's a talent evaluator, teacher and developer. Not a doubt in my mind he knows how to spot teachable kids and mold them. I know it's kind of a new concept for some of you. It's been awhile since we developed a player. Obviously recruiting Texas and Cali's three and four star players has just been miraculous for the former staff.....#9wins.

• Fire 7

If the player is good enough, other schools will recruit them. The reason you don't see schools like USC, Bama and such recruiting Nebraska kids is because they don't think they are very good. The football that is played at the HS level in Nebraska is not very good and the players aren't as developed as a majority of kids from other states where football is a very big thing. That is why we recruit the way we do and should continue to do so if we want to stay competitive.

This is an uninformed opinion. Is it the same level as the top of Cali, Texas, and Florida? No. Is Nebraska going to get the best players in Cali, Texas, and Florida? Nope. That is why you can't even let somebody that MIGHT pan out get away.Coaches want the staff to send somebody to their school besides the guy in charge of the walk-on program.

There are players that can play at NU, the problem is the previous staff couldn't develop talent well so they rarely reached on an in-state project. They wouldn't offer a kid like a Trey Carr. He has started all year at SDSU at CB as a true freshman. Would he start at NU? No, not right away. Could they have developed him? Maybe. He also had offers from ISU and KU. Chose SDSU because a former HS assistant of his was there and he thought he could play right away. He would of jumped on an NU offer.