Early Signing Period for Football?

Mavric

It's true. The best talent evaluators are the ones getting screwed by current process. This helps them.

Just because you add "It's true" at the beginning of your statement doesn't actually make it a true statement.

Also, why would they want to have an earlier signing period than 12/20? I would feel bad for a student athlete if they signed with a school before the season and then have the coach get dumped after a 5-7 campaign.

only ones that would get hurt are the early enrollies. Believe if there was a coaching change before the kid gets on campus they can get out of their LOI

It's true. The best talent evaluators are the ones getting screwed by current process. This helps them.

Just because you add "It's true" at the beginning of your statement doesn't actually make it a true statement.

Also, why would they want to have an earlier signing period than 12/20? I would feel bad for a student athlete if they signed with a school before the season and then have the coach get dumped after a 5-7 campaign.

only ones that would get hurt are the early enrollies. Believe if there was a coaching change before the kid gets on campus they can get out of their LOI

This is from the NLI website: "When you sign an NLI, you sign with an institution and not with a coach or a specific team."

I think this will increase the amount of transfers after one year and I think this will increase the likelihood of recruiting misses for all schools. And yes, Matty, that includes the "best talent evaluators".

This is from the NLI website: "When you sign an NLI, you sign with an institution and not with a coach or a specific team."

I think this will increase the amount of transfers after one year and I think this will increase the likelihood of recruiting misses for all schools. And yes, Matty, that includes the "best talent evaluators".

Yes but there are apeals and extenuating cercumstances that can get you out of it. The school could also grant you a release

Yes but there are apeals and extenuating cercumstances that can get you out of it. The school could also grant you a release

Even if the school grants you a release, it usually comes with restrictions.

I am ok with the December signing period, but I am not ok with it being earlier than that.

Even if the school grants you a release, it usually comes with restrictions.

I am ok with the December signing period, but I am not ok with it being earlier than that.

I agree.

However, I'd like them to allow the schools to pay for official visits during the recruit's junior year. Levels the playing field a bit for those schools not located near recruiting hotbeds.

The player doesn't have to sign early. And coaches/players probably have a good idea in general if the coach is gone by 12/20. There are, of course, some surprises but 12/20 is about 3 weeks after CCG's and just before bowl games.

I'm okay with a December 20th early signing period if players want to sign then.

Any earlier than that and...I dunno...just seems like it would be too detrimental to a school like Nebraska.

• 3 weeks later...

The player doesn't have to sign early. And coaches/players probably have a good idea in general if the coach is gone by 12/20. There are, of course, some surprises but 12/20 is about 3 weeks after CCG's and just before bowl games.

I'm okay with a December 20th early signing period if players want to sign then.

Any earlier than that and...I dunno...just seems like it would be too detrimental to a school like Nebraska.

Wouldn't it be better for a school like Nebraska, particularly this year?

Riley has a top 10 recruiting class by June, likely on the promise of an eventual resurgence to glory. We go 4-8 and now half of the class bails because we suck. How many kids bail?

Andy Staples with an interesting December signing period hypothetical:

First, coaches hate change. Second, they hate anything that makes their lives more difficult. Third, many hate anything that offers a modicum of power to the player. In this case, knowledge is power.

The knowledge of whether a scholarship offer is real will help inform the recruit’s decision-making process. To illustrate, let’s consider the case of fictional cornerback Johnny Lockdown. Lockdown is a three-star cornerback from Columbus, Miss. He’s a three-star because he hasn’t had time to hit the camp circuit hard, but Mississippi State coaches have seen him plenty because he grew up a few minutes away. They love him. He has an offer from the Bulldogs, and they’re absolutely going to send him scholarship papers on Dec. 19.

Auburn, meanwhile, is intrigued by Lockdown, and he loves Auburn because his dad’s favorite athlete was Bo Jackson. Lockdown’s film is great, but Tigers coaches couldn’t get him to come to camp so they could take a closer look. They’ve offered to keep up with the Joneses, and the kid tried to commit over the phone. They only have one spot left for a corner and also have offers out to Tommy Picksix (a four-star player from Atlanta who is deciding between Auburn and Georgia) and Freddie Pressman (a five-star from Huntsville who has a long offer list but appears to be leaning toward Alabama).

Based on their evaluations, Auburn coaches have Picksix and Pressman rated slightly higher than Lockdown. So what do they do? If they send paperwork to all three, they know Lockdown will sign. The other two might wait until February, and then what? Auburn wouldn’t have a spot for either. If they send paperwork to Picksix and Pressman, neither might sign. Or Picksix may decide he wants to be done with and sign. If Pressman also signs, great. That’s a five-star longshot. The Tigers will make room in the class for him.

But here is Auburn’s problem in this case. Lockdown is going to open that FedEx envelope from Mississippi State and find a National Letter of Intent. He’s got an offer from Auburn, and he’s going to wonder where his paperwork is. When he learns he isn’t getting any, that’s going to hurt. And of course Bulldogs coach Dan Mullen and his staff will further drive home the point that the paperwork in hand proves that Mississippi State really wants Lockdown while Auburn clearly doesn’t. But Auburn does want him—as long as Picksix and Pressman don’t sign. Bulldogs coaches will make the bird-in-the-hand argument. Tigers coaches will try to soothe hurt feelings and beg for more time.

What will happen? No one knows. But it will be fascinating.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/06/05/early-signing-period-recruiting-coaches

• Fire 3