OWH: Bo Pelini insults A.D. Shawn Eichorst in expletive-filled rant during final meeting with players

zoogs

I was hurt from tapegate...didn't want to believe it...attributed it to heat of the moment. Reality sunk in deep during that Wisconsin game when he melted down and took the team with him. Knew it was time for him to move on.

This quote bugs me...“I said to (assistant coach Rick Kaczenski) at one point, I said, 'man, this is killing me.' I said, 'I don't want to die doing this job.' I meant it. I was like, 'I don't want to have a heart attack doing this job.'”

Well Bo...if you were really that concerned about your health, you resign. Simple as that. But clearly money and/or pride was more important than your health so you can't make us feel sorry for you. You're weren't trapped in this contract. This wasn't your only shot at work.

It's sad because I think almost every poster here can relate with being in a situation where you are bitter and upset and fester in it. Bo better learn how to deal with adversity. As a coach, he'll be facing it his whole career. Bo has proven he is not setup to lead a big program. I want to wish him the best but I can't. Bye Bo we had some good times and I choose to remember those.

• Fire 1

this hurts the program.

I agree, and that is why I'm surprised it came out. When the first tape was released, you can understand why. Releasing this tape and this time is confusing. It does nothing but hurt the University. This exposure certainly can't help Riley's recruiting efforts. The team doesn't need this 10 days before playing in their bowl game. Even if YSU was to back out of their HC choice, it would only hurt UNL even more financially.

How does this hurt the University? I get that it is bad publicity and makes things seem like a total clusterf#@k around the program but, this is about the total and complete classlessness of one man, Bo Pelini, not the University. Anybody that puts any stock in what Bo Pelini says at this point in time is not a smart person. His comments about SE should be given the same weight as his comments about everything else and that means anything he says is basically worthless and likely wrong.

Seems to me that this recording supports the justification for firing a 9-win coach. I mean, wouldn't anyone around the nation listen to his remarks to the team and say, "Yeah, I guess Pelini really was a douchebag after all. Nebraska did well to get rid of the guy."

i agree with both of you, i did say it hurts the program and i meant it in a way that bo is trying to hurt the program. he is trying to poison these young men and vilify the program.

i think a real class act like riley will be able to handle it, but talk about a dichotomy in personalities. could they be more disparate? a mature, respected man known for integrity and a petulant child known for psychotic rants and imaginary, paranoid induced enemies.

• Fire 1

this hurts the program.

I agree, and that is why I'm surprised it came out. When the first tape was released, you can understand why. Releasing this tape and this time is confusing. It does nothing but hurt the University. This exposure certainly can't help Riley's recruiting efforts. The team doesn't need this 10 days before playing in their bowl game. Even if YSU was to back out of their HC choice, it would only hurt UNL even more financially.

How does this hurt the University? I get that it is bad publicity and makes things seem like a total clusterf#@k around the program but, this is about the total and complete classlessness of one man, Bo Pelini, not the University. Anybody that puts any stock in what Bo Pelini says at this point in time is not a smart person. His comments about SE should be given the same weight as his comments about everything else and that means anything he says is basically worthless and likely wrong.

Seems to me that this recording supports the justification for firing a 9-win coach. I mean, wouldn't anyone around the nation listen to his remarks to the team and say, "Yeah, I guess Pelini really was a douchebag after all. Nebraska did well to get rid of the guy."

That's my take on it. This seems more like the final nail in the Pelini coffin than any sort of black eye for the University or football program.

Revoke his buyout.

FootballScoop Staff ‏@FootballScoop

Extremely relevant RT @darrenrovell: There is not a non-disparagement clause in Bo Pelini’s contract w/Nebraska that can affect his buyout

An example of the administration giving Bo rope to hang himself with, knowing he would do something like this...or neglect when creating the contracts?

I don't agree that Bo was trying to create a toxic environment. If the OWH article is accurate, and I assume it is, about 80% of what he said shouldn't have been said. I guess he was trying to explain his internal feelings, and in the heat of the moment that's never good. But this is why I supported and still like a guy like Bo:

My advice is fellas is, it'll be different, but if you choose to stay here, you give the new guy a chance. Because I went through that fellas, I went from an old-school coach in Earl Bruce when I was at Ohio State to somebody who came in, and he was totally different. Totally different. It was a big-time adjustment. Whoever it is will probably come in here and talk bad about what we've done, or sit there and say 'we gotta upgrade this, we gotta upgrade that,' but at the end of the day, fellas, you'll able to control your own destin by what you put on on film and how hard you work. That's what you have to remember.

Don't get caught up in all the BS, all the stuff the press says and doesn't say around here. At the end of the day, you take care of you, you take care of each other. And usually when you have that attitude, things work out. OK?

Have they even told you guys what bowl you are gonna go to? Next Sunday? You guys have earned a good bowl game fellas. I mean, it'll be a good bowl. Play your ass off. Make me proud. That's all I ask. It'll probably be – I heard the Outback Bowl down in Tampa or maybe even in San Diego against SC. So you're going to play someone good.

I'm disappointed in most of the rest of what is said, but it's far from trying to create a toxic environment for the next coach (just the AD which doesn't really impact the players). I wish him the best at Youngstown State, and hope this is the last we hear about Coach Pelini at Nebraska (I highly doubt this but one can wish).

• Fire 2

I feel sorry for Mike Riley who has to clean up this "mess." He'll have to initiate further damage control with the returning players on the team.

However, I think he's the right guy to do it from all that I've heard/read about him. I think we should feel lucky to have him in our corner at a time like this.

OWH: Bo Pelini insults A.D. Shawn Eichorst in expletive-filled rant during final meeting with players

OWH: Transcript

Tell me if Im wrong, Pelini told players, but the environment at Nebraska wore on you as the past several seasons progressed. It gets harder and harder and harder.

It is a b---- here. It is hard enough when you have the negativity that comes from the media and the negativity from a lot of former players, this talk show and that talk show, you win and it aint good enough. Its not good enough how you won. There is a lot of things that go on there and if you dont have a grown man staying in front of the thing and getting everybody, rallying, I can do all I want, but theyre b----ing at me, too.... (...)

If any of you guys have on your mind, hey, should I go or should I stay? At the end of the day, you gotta sit there and think, This is how many years I got left. These ought to be the best of my life. And if I dont think its going to be this way this place, then you shouldnt stay. But if you feel like, hey, this is the place for me, this is the place Im going to enjoy my career, then you should stay. Thats what it should come down to.

Wow.

I'm sorry Bo felt so under siege he responded in this way.

If the players bought any of this garbage, the incoming staff has a lot of work to do. It's too bad that such a coaching talent as Pelini is, lacks so much in the "getting it" department.

I compare this to the parting message and advice Muschamp had for his players. Look, not all coaching hires are going to make it big. But if you fail and get fired as a result, that's the way to go out -- having left a positive imprint on the team.

Bo's now 2/2 in attempts to poison the well on his way out of Lincoln. Don't come back.

Pretty scary to know he is still a coach after reading that transcript. Much of what he says the players did not need to hear or know. He crossed the line. I think he needs anger management. SMH