Which recent Husker era do you wish never happened?

Sparker

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Because of the long drawn out search process and the many "no" answers Pedey got, I don't feel the Cally hire created much positive buzz. Few people knew who he was other than a former Oakland Raider coach. The whole program seemed to go downhill from there. He didn't understand the college game and failed to absorb the Husker brand. Much of the same could be said about Bo as well but I feel the buzz around the BP hire was much stronger and positive.....probably because TO made the hire. The Cally era was totally sad and forgettable.

Never firing solich a man who gave 30 years of his life to the program just to have the fans turn around and stab him in the back just like they do with gill frost and anyone else who is dedicated to the program. Oh and I've heard the 'there was other stuff going on' line. We just do not take care of our own people. Just my opinion.

• Fire 2

Well, Callahan has to be my choice out of those two. Sure, the wounds of Bo are wide open right now and bleeding. But, Callahan simply was never the right fit on any level with Nebraska. And, there is a chance that if Callahan was never here, we would have had a successful coach during that time and Bo never would have been hired then in 2008.

Now, if you really want to dive into what era I wish never would have happened, I would go with the entire 1940s and 1950s. There was a stretch of years from 1942 to 1961 where we had a 68 - 120 record. That's a 36% winning percentage. The only reason why it's even that respectable is because between 1949 and 1955 we almost had a 50% winning percentage. The rest of the years are absolutely pathetic.

Why do I even care about years back then? The stat I found has us currently 41 wins behind Michigan as the winningest program in history (I'm not sure if all the results of this year have been added into this). We would have simply had to win slightly more than two more games per year (on average) during those 20 years to be where Michigan is at the top of the list.

As frustrating as both the Callahan and Pellini eras have been, it could be way way way worse with much more of a negative influence on how we are viewed historically as a program.

• Fire 2

Well, Callahan has to be my choice out of those two. Sure, the wounds of Bo are wide open right now and bleeding. But, Callahan simply was never the right fit on any level with Nebraska. And, there is a chance that if Callahan was never here, we would have had a successful coach during that time and Bo never would have been hired then in 2008.

Now, if you really want to dive into what era I wish never would have happened, I would go with the entire 1940s and 1950s. There was a stretch of years from 1942 to 1961 where we had a 68 - 120 record. That's a 36% winning percentage. The only reason why it's even that respectable is because between 1949 and 1955 we almost had a 50% winning percentage. The rest of the years are absolutely pathetic.

Why do I even care about years back then? The stat I found has us currently 41 wins behind Michigan as the winningest program in history (I'm not sure if all the results of this year have been added into this). We would have simply had to win slightly more than two more games per year (on average) during those 20 years to be where Michigan is at the top of the list.

As frustrating as both the Callahan and Pellini eras have been, it could be way way way worse with much more of a negative influence on how we are viewed historically as a program.

I agree that Clownahan was an extremely poor fit here. However, I can't agree at all with had he not been hired we could have had a successful coach during that time and Bo never being here. Pud had so entirely screwed the pooch with regards to the firing and coaching search we were lucky to even have a coach for the 04' season. Do you remember the names on Pud's so called short list? No way in Hades Dave Wandstadt becomes a successful coach here. No way does Houston Nutt become a successful coach here. The short lists of previous AD's here have been laughable at best. Eichorst has made the best hire by far as far as I'm concerned. Riley is a coach I've followed for quite a while and once upon a time was on almost everyones radar.

Funny how it's came to this point with me, but I feel the Bo era may turn out to be more harmful than Callahan. All Callahan did was reveal incompetence onthe field. We lost a lot of games. But I NEVER felt so disconnected and hurt as a fan as I have the past few weeks with the stuff happening. it was about a hell of a lot more than wins and losses these past 7 years. The toxidity that was instilled into that locker room jsut doesnt feel good at all. Time will tell, but gosh, how fast did we seem to "recover" from Callahan. And face it, he had it going in the right direction until his fourth year. Until USC 2007, there was pretty steady progress from year to year to year, from an on the field standpoint. But there's far more issues under Bo. And it's not some conspiracy theory that Bo was trying to tear us apart and all that nonsense. I just think that his inexperience got in his way and he was just wrong in managing the program the way he did and it caught up to him. But regardless, it could turn out to be more damaging.

• Fire 4