Recruiting Style - satellite camp method like PSU

Vargas

http://athlonsports.com/nebraska-football-how-mike-rileys-recruiting-approach-differs-bo-pelinis

Just read that article and pulled a couple things from it. First was the use of social media. As much as it pains me, I feel this is a necessary step forward in the recruiting business. Young people this day (I'm not that far removed from that group) use social media constantly. The fact that Riley is active and is (as far as I've seen so far) often referencing recruits is a plus in my eyes.

The biggest thing I read and loved was that Riley uses the satellite camp method similar to what James Franklin did last summer. I remember reading about that and hoping that Nebraska would do something similar. I know we have had the camps at NU, which I personally thought were a good idea. But on top of those it would have been a boon to use these satellite camps to get a group of prospects in front you and start building those relationships. I hope that Riley continues to use the camps while at NU. Texas, FL, CA, wherever he thinks he can pull some athletes.

Thoughts?

• Fire 1

Good article. I liked this line about the camps:

"They worked camps in the Houston area that allowed them to get out and evaluate players in person that would have otherwise been difficult to see. That’s one way for northern teams to even things a bit with teams in the sun belt.

Sounds like a good strategy for here.

If you're on Twitter @TheGundy (Ryan Gunderson) is a great follow. Always tweeting pictures of coaches on the phone with recruits and such. It's amazing what an experienced staff that realizes recruiting is a 24/7 job looks like

I do like it but I am not jumping overboard on it. I want to see what the first recruiting class looks like that they put together before I praise a bunch of pictures of coaches on phones.

I assume all d1 coaches are on the phones establishing relationships all the time.

Good talent evaluation mixed with an aggressive recruiting strategy topped off with inventive extras (such as satellite camps) will spell relevancy. Very impressive.

Not to overlook or undersell the USC game but I am eager to see the new coaching staff completed, get through the dead period, and be on to 2015.

I am actually wanting to skip to 2016. The first year usually sucks.

Good talent evaluation mixed with an aggressive recruiting strategy topped off with inventive extras (such as satellite camps) will spell relevancy. Very impressive.

Not to overlook or undersell the USC game but I am eager to see the new coaching staff completed, get through the dead period, and be on to 2015.

I am actually wanting to skip to 2016. The first year usually sucks.

We'll see. It's kind of a strange situation. Usually when you have a new coach, he's inheriting a team with a bad record. But Strong and Callahan are two examples of worse records their first years coaching a team with a decent record the previous year.

Honestly I don't even have to wait a year for the results, I know this staff will bring in better talent for their system than the last staff. I don't know how many stories I have heard about people sending in videos or letting the last staff know highly ranked players were interested but not even a call. It was like the last staff too offense to people providing videos like "they knew more than the staff". When Daishon Neal was rumored to want to visit Oregon, the new staff called him within hours. The last staff exemplified the persona of Nebraska. Out of date, afraid of the big cities, only wanting people that want to be here. The new staff already understands you have to sell kids on everything. Most of the last staff had to recruit against Oregon being only 40 miles away. They now move to Nebraska where they don't really have an equal (in terms of tradition, fan support, recent record, etc) within 250 miles (and possibly 500 - I need to see where that puts us compared to Oklahoma).

• Fire 1

If you're on Twitter @TheGundy (Ryan Gunderson) is a great follow. Always tweeting pictures of coaches on the phone with recruits and such. It's amazing what an experienced staff that realizes recruiting is a 24/7 job looks like

I do like it but I am not jumping overboard on it. I want to see what the first recruiting class looks like that they put together before I praise a bunch of pictures of coaches on phones.

I assume all d1 coaches are on the phones establishing relationships all the time.

That or they're ordering pizza? :dunno

A lot?