5 star recruits? Who needs them

Wasn't really making a point. Was just starting a conversation with a sarcastic comment. To me the star ranking it just a way to over hype these kids with pressure. Some can handle it some cant. There are plenty of 2-3 star kids doing much better then alot of 4-5 star kids.

Take the stars off the kids and just recruit them.

I know this thread was started kind of as a joke...but seriously how hard is it to grab the concept that you want to get the very best guys all the time.

I do not believe these rankings are perfect and blah blah...but here is what I know...if LSU wants a guy...so do I...if Bama wants him...me too..if FSU offers him...I like the idea of an offer...

So if it is the schools that offer that make the recruit get ranked higher, fine...if it is the other way around...fine...just get the best freaking kids you can.

I really believe that for MOST positions the coaches should look at a kid and ask two things:

1. Could he compete for playing time now

2. Could he help us win now

Last national champion without a 5 star recruit on roster?

Based off Rivals, 2001 Miami
DJ Williams LB was #7 prospect in country

Willis McGahee RB was #16 prospect in country for class of 2000

2002 was Rivals' first year rating players, at least according to their website. So Miami in 2001 would have been the first team without a five star on rivals, because they didn't have any players rated. Do you get the joke now?
  • Fire 1