Shawn Eichorst's ripples.....

Comish

In a moment of lackadaisical brain activity, I began musing about the national effects of Eichorst’s decision to terminate the infamous Bo in late November. Of course we all understood immediately that the decision would impact more than just Bo.

But, I hadn’t really considered just how incestuous the coaching fraternity has become.

Besides Bo, consider just how many lives have been altered.

With a guess of about 9 assistants and at least a half dozen support staff (at a minimum), there are 16 from Nebraska. Then, Mike Riley is hired and brings (or will bring in) at least the same number. With Oregon State becoming a vacancy, a like number will travel to Corvallis and that becomes Anderson leaving Wisconsin. With Wisconsin open, Paul Chryst and staff motor to Wisky. That opens Pitt for its new staff (and as a special bonus….”Statue Steve” Pederson gets canned). So, if we total up the ripples, it means at least 5 x 16 (80) coaches relocating. If the average family is 4, we can guess 320 (Plus Pedey and his replacement), we can assume (again, at a minimum) 330 new destinations and opportunities solely because of SE’s decision. (And that doesn’t even account for Tom Coughlin getting his panties in a wad because his QB coach decides to leave Eli and gravitate to the challenge of Tommy Armstrong). It also fails to account for recruits and any/all changes to their collegiate destinations among five Power 5 schools and for their families for the next 5 years.. Probably safe to guess that approximately 350 or more individuals will be impacted.

If only SE had been prescient enough to secure percentage deals with national moving companies before he wrought these changes, he could have utilized the additional monies to off-sett Bo’s severance package.

I have to wonder how many of the 350 were even cognizant of the twists their lives would take when the seemingly unrelated and innocuous news of Bo’s canning was announced in late November?

• Fire 2

This is why really, really smart people get paid a lot of money to make really, really high impact decisions. Each decision effects a lot of people. Especially huge decisions like firing a 9 win a year coach.

Just stop with the 9 win thing. 9 wins simply means you win less than 70% of your games. Not exactly something to brag about. TO won 83% of his games, he can [won't] brag all he wants.

T_O_B

• Fire 3

This is why really, really smart people get paid a lot of money to make really, really high impact decisions. Each decision effects a lot of people. Especially huge decisions like firing a 9 win a year coach.

Just stop with the 9 win thing. 9 wins simply means you win less than 70% of your games. Not exactly something to brag about. TO won 83% of his games, he can [won't] brag all he wants.

T_O_B

Hahaha! You are hilarious.

T_O_B

Apparently, to some people, beating up on lesser quality opponents makes you good.

It comes with the business that is major college athletics

Yes, the nature of the beast. The good news is that once you're in, you have to screw up pretty badly to not be gathered in by someone else. Right Bo? Youngstown St. - "...inappropriate and unfortunate.... We will not be commenting further."

T_O_B

Good stat TO

• Fire 1

T_O_B

Hahaha! You are hilarious.
It may not get more anti-Bo Pelini around here than me. Maybe NuPolo8 takes that trophy home but I can assure you, I have no respect for him as a man or a a coach. If you ever took the time to read anything I've ever said here, literally over my entire five+ years here, you'd kow that unlike many, I never once hung my hat on nine wins as if that was some great accomplishment or the goal. So please, get outta here preaching to me about the nine wins garbage. There's plenty of other people around here who tote that nine wins stat around in every defense of their beloved Bo Pelini. Nine wins over mostly garbage teams and blowout losses to any decent team were the repeating theme for seven years.

I don't need to rehash what a terrible coach I think Pelini is....or at least I never thought I left that opinion open for interpretation. I'm glad he's gone,

Still, nine wins was quite a comfort zone for a lot of people. A lot. Not only was it the comfort zone or standard for some fans, but the team and the coaches had seemed to just come to accept it.

What Eichorst did in blowing up that comfort zone took balls. It took guts. That was my point that sailed over your head. Many, many athletic directors in the same situation would have sat on their hands and rode the coat tails of this nine win comfort zone for all eternity. A change was needed, but not everybody agreed on that. I credit Eichorst for recognizing that, and in the face of immense pressure, making the change. Like I said, it took guts.

Sorry to derail this thread in any way. I felt I had to defend myself on the ridiculous thought of someone actually labeling me as some sort of Boliever. Haha! We got Bo nuthuggers all over this board. Sorry, I'm just not one of them.

• Fire 3