Hank Hughes New Husker Defensive Line Coach

Mavric

Not really what I would call a rock solid source but apparently the rumors are national.

http://cincyontheprowl.com/2014/12/31/nebraska-rumored-interested-cincinnati-dc-hank-hughes/

I would also be a little disappointed if we infact do hire Hughes for D-line. His coaching track record more than speaks for itself, but it will tell me that Riley just doesn't quite understand the challenges of recruiting stud D lineman to Nebraska. To me this has been the biggest factor in holding us back for many years on D and we need an excellent recruiter at this spot. We finally have stud upperclassmen Dlineman in our lineup the next few years but we have to push even harder and be as deep as every other top tier program on the D-line. We will only go as far as our horses on the D-line will take us IMO. His bio doesn't mention any recruiting prowess like other bios on the cincinatti football web page do.

Well maybe thhis coach will offer thhe Dline talent that we let go to othher D1 programs in the future. Two for sure are getting meaningful snaps or are starting. Thhat seems a little baffling to me.

I've got to agree with you there, but we still need to bring in the difference makers that we just don't have around here in large supply. Most of them are in the south and it is very hard to lure those guys away. We have been fortunate having Collins, VV and the twins (fingers crossed) in our 500 mile radius the last few years but those guys aren't growing on trees around here. Not to mention we don't own the 500 mile radius like we once did and guys like Phillips and Bazata aren't consistently coming up in the HS ranks here either.

Hughes has an extensive resume, but lacking in a major program.

On the other hand, if you don't get a young, lightly experienced assistant who's worked at big places (see new RBs coach, or LBs coach), then the other way to go is a very veteran guy who has been a coordinator before. So it's fair to ask, why did he never coach for USC or Florida or Miami? On the other hand, getting a guy this experienced with DL and DCing along with his east coast connections, has to be a plus for the defensive side of the ball.

Banker, the DC, has a lot of experience with Riley. Probably little to none with Hughes. Hopefully, it'll be a productive partnership between them.

On the other hand, if you don't get a young, lightly experienced assistant who's worked at big places (see new RBs coach, or LBs coach), then the other way to go is a very veteran guy who has been a coordinator before. So it's fair to ask, why did he never coach for USC or Florida or Miami? On the other hand, getting a guy this experienced with DL and DCing along with his east coast connections, has to be a plus for the defensive side of the ball.

Banker, the DC, has a lot of experience with Riley. Probably little to none with Hughes. Hopefully, it'll be a productive partnership between them.

It is interesting to see how Riley is building his staff. He is obviously filling the Defensive side with experienced and proven developers, which should pay off in the near term, next 2 years, due to the relatively high level of younger talent on the roster. The question is can they backfill the roster behind Collins and Co to prevent a 2011-2012 type drop off once the current roster graduates.

It is interesting to see how Riley is building his staff. He is obviously filling the Defensive side with experienced and proven developers, which should pay off in the near term, next 2 years, due to the relatively high level of younger talent on the roster. The question is can they backfill the roster behind Collins and Co to prevent a 2011-2012 type drop off once the current roster graduates.

One would like to think with an experienced staff they will not allow the drop off to happen that happened with the previous staff...one can only hope!

One would like to think with an experienced staff they will not allow the drop off to happen that happened with the previous staff...one can only hope!
I am not concerned about their coaching prowess, obviously very solid resumes, I just question their recruiting chops to ensure they give themselves ample talent to mold. That was the biggest issue for BO IMO, his staff missed horribly on getting any quality DL in a couple of classes in a row and that precipitated a lot of the issues we saw, scheme issues not withstanding.

The thing is if this defense becomes salty and a top tier unit on the stat sheet then the big names will give us more attention because of that. I think this has fabulous potential. And honestly a few years of Riley he gets success many he rides off into thr sunset and hands off the reigns to Langsford.

That helps, but it isn't enough to guarantee good recruiting. 2009 and 2010 were very good Defenses that didn't lead to top tier recruiting. I think the pieces are on the roster to have a really good D over the next couple of seasons, I also think these Coaches appear to be great developers which again bodes well for the immediate future, I just am not sure if they can recruit well enough to capitolize on any momentum they generate on the field.
  • Fire 1

The thing is if this defense becomes salty and a top tier unit on the stat sheet then the big names will give us more attention because of that. I think this has fabulous potential. And honestly a few years of Riley he gets success many he rides off into thr sunset and hands off the reigns to Langsford.

That helps, but it isn't enough to guarantee good recruiting. 2009 and 2010 were very good Defenses that didn't lead to top tier recruiting. I think the pieces are on the roster to have a really good D over the next couple of seasons, I also think

I think there is talent, but we need to find a rush end and better speed at LB……. depth is an issue

That helps, but it isn't enough to guarantee good recruiting. 2009 and 2010 were very good Defenses that didn't lead to top tier recruiting. I think the pieces are on the roster to have a really good D over the next couple of seasons, I also think

I think there is talent, but we need to find a rush end and better speed at LB……. depth is an issue

I think our LB issues had more to do with coaching and scheme. Look at Will Compton and Eric Martin! Both are on NFL teams, but were said to be too slow when they played here. The only successful LB in Pelleni's era was L David, and that dude was a freak. David would have been a monster on any team. Again, I think we have talent at LB, we just need a decent LB coach and a scheme that allows them to play faster.

according to UC fans he uses the 4-2-5 defense. Not good for stopping the run

said... (
)

Reminds me of the Coombs situation. Probably a lot more money, but less responsibility (Coombs had been partial DC, if I remember correctly). In 2013, Kerry couldn't stop bragging about how much better it was to coach in Columbus than the Sugar Bowl. I think he got demoted, or something, but I didn't hear a whole lot from him this year.

I'd hate to see yet, another DC leave, but, he didn't get off to such a hot start. So, if Hank moves on, life here will, as well.

I thought one of the reasons Coombs split (besides a big raise) was that he got a little pissy when Butch picked Jancek over him to be DC when Tim Banks left for Illinois.
Personally I would hate to see Hughes leave. I like the logic of the 4-2-5 scheme as a good way to defend the spread hurry up offenses we see so much anymore, and we've recruited to this concept over the past year. Once the players got the used to it I thought they played pretty well over the 2nd half. Not too crazy about starting over yet again with a new guy if he leaves.

according to UC fans he uses the 4-2-5 defense. Not good for stopping the run

BJUnklFkr said... (original post)

Reminds me of the Coombs situation. Probably a lot more money, but less responsibility (Coombs had been partial DC, if I remember correctly). In 2013, Kerry couldn't stop bragging about how much better it was to coach in Columbus than the Sugar Bowl. I think he got demoted, or something, but I didn't hear a whole lot from him this year.

I'd hate to see yet, another DC leave, but, he didn't get off to such a hot start. So, if Hank moves on, life here will, as well.

I thought one of the reasons Coombs split (besides a big raise) was that he got a little pissy when Butch picked Jancek over him to be DC when Tim Banks left for Illinois.

Personally I would hate to see Hughes leave. I like the logic of the 4-2-5 scheme as a good way to defend the spread hurry up offenses we see so much anymore, and we've recruited to this concept over the past year. Once the players got the used to it I thought they played pretty well over the 2nd half. Not too crazy about starting over yet again with a new guy if he leaves.

Well, NU has been pretty much running the same thing the last seven years